Pushing myself - taking gigs outside my comfort zone

metropolis_4

Rock Star
I just booked myself to spend next summer in a production of Rock of Ages!

Im really excited about it, but it’s been a long time since I played ‘80s hair metal and Joel Hoekstra did not hold back on this one!

This is going to be a huge challenge for me and I’m really excited for it! I’m going to have to do a lot of woodshedding to get those old shred chops back up to snuff.

So weird to read parts like this written out in standard notation! :wat

IMG_3951.jpeg

Something doesn't sound right to me in the first half of 140, with that C and C#. I can see that it's not exactly like CC's solo, but even so, it doesn't carry the same "sound" as in the real solo. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen mistakes in sheet music, especially around accidentals.

Something doesn't sound right to me in the first half of 140, with that C and C#. I can see that it's not exactly like CC's solo, but even so, it doesn't carry the same "sound" as in the real solo. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen mistakes in sheet music, especially around accidentals.

Yeah I’m sure there will be mistakes in the score, there always is.

Sometimes what’s challenging is interpreting what “guitar-isms” they were trying to notate

Yeah I’m sure there will be mistakes in the score, there always is.

Sometimes what’s challenging is interpreting what “guitar-isms” they were trying to notate

Can you sight read sheet music for guitar? That's impressive!

How much of your gigs is sight reading vs learning the songs and playing from memory?

Can you sight read sheet music for guitar? That's impressive!

How much of your gigs is sight reading vs learning the songs and playing from memory?

Yeah, I can read parts

These days about 90% what I play is reading from charts like these and about 10% playing from memory.

But I’m not often in situations where I’m sight reading on the spot. Typically I’ve got time to practice the material in advance

Can anybody explain WTF is going on with this section?

NoizeParadiseGoodTime_136-137.jpg

I have not read any charts in decades, but I guarantee I ain't NEVER seen no shit like this! And I am not talking about what notes those are or how long they should be held, I got that. I am talking about all those crazy stick men and other symbols. Totally "loco" to my mind (as is that word in a chart, what does that signify?, loco)!!

I have not read any charts in decades, but I guarantee I ain't NEVER seen no shit like this! And I am not talking about what notes those are or how long they should be held, I got that. I am talking about all those crazy stick men and other symbols. Totally "loco" to my mind (as is that word in a chart, what does that signify?, loco)!!
Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is to indicate bends of the note/harmonic with the vibrato/trem arm.

It literally matters zero in that run if he hits a c or c#.

It’s a R’n’R thing so either 3rd is fine.
Particularly at that tempo.

It’s equal to 16th at 179

Last edited:

I believe what was said above is correct, it’s indicating the notes being bent with the vibrato. These sort of things are weird to interpret in notation.

Loco means these notes sound as written. See the measures before that say “8va”. That means those notes are played an octave higher than written. Often after a long 8va section like that you’ll see “loco” to indicate it is no longer to be played 8va, but played as written instead.

Thank you so much for these!

I believe what was said above is correct, it’s indicating the notes being bent with the vibrato. These sort of things are weird to interpret in notation.

Loco means these notes sound as written. See the measures before that say “8va”. That means those notes are played an octave higher than written. Often after a long 8va section like that you’ll see “loco” to indicate it is no longer to be played 8va, but played as written instead.

Thanks! Much appreciated!!

It is to notate whammy moves.
There are two. One is scoop into the note
As in depress bar , strike note, release bar

And the other is strike note, pull up bar a half step, release bar.

Last edited:
Back