PRS S2: Now with USA Pickups and Electronics

I am very tempted by the Vela semi-hollow in McCarty Tobacco Sunburst.

With the black guard it's :chef

1712154010140.png

I do love an offset.

Last edited:
I am very tempted by the Vela semi-hollow in McCarty Tobacco Sunburst.

With the black guard it's :chef

View attachment 21124
I am interested in seeing someone do a comparison to the new version and the old version on the neck pickup. I have the narrowfield pickups in my Studio. I am curious how it sounds compared to the pickup the used to have in these.

I have seen a complaint about them putting birds on the Vela. I am not sure how well those are going to land with the typical Vela buyer. I like the way the new one looks.

I have seen a complaint about them putting birds on the Vela. I am not sure how well those are going to land with the typical Vela buyer. I like the way the new one looks.

Yeah, I'd rather have the dots or moons; but I still like the rest of the guitar a great deal so I could get used to the birds.

That's what I'm currently telling myself anyway!

I am interested in seeing someone do a comparison to the new version and the old version on the neck pickup. I have the narrowfield pickups in my Studio. I am curious how it sounds compared to the pickup the used to have in these.

The D type pickup was definitely part of the charm and appeal for me when I got my vela. The narrowfields seem like cool pickups, but I would imagine fairly different sounding. I guess it wouldn't have made much sense for them to tool up for an in house made D type for only one of their guitar models

Well, you could argue that for anything that’s not Duncan or Dimarzio. PRS charges what the market will bear. I guess. ;)
Of course and that's always the answer. And that is the answer to why the new S2s are priced where they are. Indeed, I imagine the thought process was closer to "actually, we COULD be charging more for the S2s in the current market. What are some small bones we could toss so it looks like the price hike is partly in relation to spec improvement?" than "hey, how 'bout we pop the USA pickups in the S2 line? Okay. And those normally sell for about $400, so I guess we raise the price about $400?"

It Is Yes GIF by Comedy Central

Just to be clear, I’m not making excuses for PRS and their pricing. I think as good as the Cores are, the price is getting out of hand. Then again, Suhr charges as much for a “Strat”, so maybe PRS isn’t nuts.
I have to say this about PRS - watching a factory tour is fairly eye opening in terms of just the sheer “huh, I kinda get the price difference now”.

It Is Yes GIF by Comedy Central

Just to be clear, I’m not making excuses for PRS and their pricing. I think as good as the Cores are, the price is getting out of hand. Then again, Suhr charges as much for a “Strat”, so maybe PRS isn’t nuts.
This is one that kills me. Don't get me wrong, I have two Suhr custom built guitars and a Classic Pro S. They are great guitars. However, every time I see what they are priced at along with Anderson and Tyler, I just shake my head. I am always comparing what those guitars are to what I can get for the same money from PRS. I can't believe how much a Strat guitar retails from these vendors. Heck, some of the Fender models are a bit out there too.

S2's are solid guitars. Hard thing is the price keeps creeping up. This is a good way to deal with that price creep.

Back