Programming Midi Captain....Am I just getting too damn old?

gedtighe

Hi, hopefully not duplicating a thread, I've had a trawl through. I've just bought the Midi Captain Std to use with my HX Stomp. It comes with a pre-programmed setup for the stomp which works well but isn't how I would prefer it. After watching a few videos I tried to program first using Geek Mode 3.0 and then editing text files in the preset folders. My experience with geek mode is that nothing made any changes to functionality, geek mode shows I have made changes but the commands that get sent remain unchanged in 'Normal' operating mode. I had more success editing the text files but still encountered a few problems.

As default the Captain comes as the top row buttons 1, 2 and three changing 'snaphots' and bottom row buttons A, B and C change 'Presets'. At this stage I would be happy just to swap these around.

My head hurts now!

How I Met Your Mother Reaction GIF by Laff

It's been a little while and I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware but setting up Geek Mode only changes commands in Geek Mode and not Normal mode. If you want to change commands in Normal mode you'll want to use the text files. If you haven't had a chance to look at the manual, there is a section about editing FS behavior followed by explaining what the different lines of code are for for each FS. Check pages 11 and on.

I've only used the Normal Mode (because my requirements were very simple). It seems like everyone who ventures into Geek Mode gets frustrated. If you go back to Normal Mode, and you have a configuration that works, but you'd prefer to swap top row with bottom row - there's a text file for each switch, so you can do so by simply renaming those files accordingly.

It's been a little while and I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware but setting up Geek Mode only changes commands in Geek Mode and not Normal mode. If you want to change commands in Normal mode you'll want to use the text files. If you haven't had a chance to look at the manual, there is a section about editing FS behavior followed by explaining what the different lines of code are for for each FS. Check pages 11

It's been a little while and I haven't upgraded to the latest firmware but setting up Geek Mode only changes commands in Geek Mode and not Normal mode. If you want to change commands in Normal mode you'll want to use the text files. If you haven't had a chance to look at the manual, there is a section about editing FS behavior followed by explaining what the different lines of code are for for each FS. Check pages 11 and on.
Hi, thanks for that. That seems bizarre, I thought geek mode was just the on board editing.... I should RTFM a bit more!

I've only used the Normal Mode (because my requirements were very simple). It seems like everyone who ventures into Geek Mode gets frustrated. If you go back to Normal Mode, and you have a configuration that works, but you'd prefer to swap top row with bottom row - there's a text file for each switch, so you can do so by simply renaming those files accordingly.
Yep, had a go with some success but other complications..... may try again after reading the manual 'properly'.

Yep, had a go with some success but other complications..... may try again after reading the manual 'properly'.
I don't even recall there being a manual, but it's been a while...

I remember being a bit taken aback by the old school text editor thing at first, but once I started to actually use it, I realized how intuitive it was to create presets that were combinations of other presets, etc. The only thing that gets tricky is that a text file isn't dynamic (like an app) and therefore can't hide settings that are irrelevant for whatever mode you've selected. For instance, if you type in a value indicating that you want a switch to send a CC message, you'll see text describing what note would be sent if it were Note On/Off switch, etc.

That, and toggle vs. momentary behavior (and what that means in terms of LED behavior) is vague, and demands some trial and error. But isn't that always the way?

Back