Power Chords

What do you Prefer

• Index & Ring

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Index & Pinky

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters
Both. I try to follow the one finger per fret method as much as possible. So if I'm playing a root and a 5th, I'll use index and ring finger. But if I'm playing a root and an augmented 5th, or even a 6th or 7th, I'll use my index and ring - if I've got my intervals right there.

Basically I try to be as flexible as I can be, so I can write as many boring Tool, ISIS, and Mastodon, rip-off riffs as I can.

I prefer barring with my pinky, but usually it's just my index/ring/pinky.

Index, Ring, Pinky here, 90% of the time. I'll do just Index and Ring if its an easier transition from the prior chord and/or the next chord.

I've always considered a power chord to strictly be root & V, just two notes, no superfluous bullshit notes or doubling. Am I doing it wrong? :LOL:

Anyway, I use index and ring since theyre one string and one whole step apart, or I'll invert it and just play index cause the V is right over the root on everything but the B string - these actually sound cleanest to me.

I've always considered a power chord to strictly be root & V, just two notes, no superfluous bullshit notes or doubling. Am I doing it wrong? :LOL:

Anyway, I use index and ring since theyre one string and one whole step apart, or I'll invert it and just play index cause the V is right over the root on everything but the B string - these actually sound cleanest to me.
I mean, no classical music teacher would ever use the term power chord. It is just made up guitarist bullshit really. So they can be whatever you want them to be!

Itchy is correct. If you "Barre" with any finger then it is not a "Power Chord." Duh!? :hmm

:rofl

Also, that is spelt properly. You go to the "Bar" to drink and do a gig, not to play multiple strings on a
stringed instrument with a single finger. That is called a "Barre."

Class dismissed. :LOL:

This thread has been making me question myself

For 17 years a power chord to me has been root-5th-octave (ie an A power chord would be: 5-7-7)

But it sounds like I’ve been plying too many damn notes :ROFLMAO:

This thread has been making me question myself

For 17 years a power chord to me has been root-5th-octave (ie an A power chord would be: 5-7-7)

But it sounds like I’ve been plying too many damn notes :ROFLMAO:
No, it depends on the Song

It's a chord for sure. :LOL:

1704577548405.png

Index and ring, or sometimes the index and middle. I save the pinky so I can add the 6th or 7th if needed or wanted a la Chuck Berry style. If no 6th or 7th needed, still use the index and ring. I got used to it from my early days of playing.

If I'm doing the Ace power chord to major 7th/5th thing, I'm using index and pinky. If I'm doing the In My Dreams thing where I'm going from root/5th to root/minor 6th, then I'm using index and ring.

Back