Post Your Favorite Guitarists Playing Their Sickest Stuff

I reckon Michael Romeo is one of the most technically talented guitarists alive. Dude plays complex stuff like he's thinking of where to go for lunch.

Could possibly post any solo of Guthrie Govan, but in case you've ever played a fretless guitar (and it'd not be your main instrument...), you'll instantly know that this here is pretty insane:

He's proof there is no right way to play guitar. His wrist on his right hand is
contorted in a way I could never do, and I doubt you would teach anyone
else to do it that way either. And yet it works. For him. :idk
It's from growing up around Baltimore and constantly dodging bullets.

Not the original artist (Greg Howe), but this guy completely nailed this song, and I actually like it note for note, more than the actual live Greg Howe versions I've seen:

I figure "Comfortably Numb" gets enough accolades, but this solo, this version and the studio version are both :chef

Lots of little nuances in there that I just love, namely the delays ringing out in certain spots.

He used to improvise this at clinics and DT soundchecks back in the day. Just a great snapshot of Petrucci in the 90's.

This particular song had a big effect on me, this was one of the first songs that made me fall in love with a wah pedal and a volume pedal with long delays. This song can be really, really f*cking great live and it sounds like this was one of those nights. So many dynamics and textures with a push/pull tempo, it's one of those songs that either falls flat or comes off REALLY f*cking good live.

And I just really, really love this song. I never get tired of hearing it and whenever I hear stupid sh*t like "Vai is all technique and no feeling"; first off, you don't reach his level without being truly passionate about playing and I don't think you could create something like this without that same passion. There's parts in this song that I just get lost in.

Last edited:
And I just really, really love this song. I never get tired of hearing it and whenever I hear stupid sh*t like "Vai is all technique and no feeling"; first off, you don't reach his level without being truly passionate about playing and I don't think you could create something like this without that same passion. There's parts in this song that I just get lost in.
Truth. I think this comes from a few ignorant places, mostly people who just want to hear other people play slow ALL the time, (except for jazz guitar players and trumpeters :rolleyes:), and can't appreciate when a musician can play fast AND slow.

If you actually LISTEN to Vai, or Satch for that matter, they both play very melodically. You can't have decades of instrumental albums, and that level of success, with just wanking off.

Back