Possibly Selling the SLO for...

riffy

Roadie
TGF Recording Artist
Thinking very hard about selling it to a local friend who is dying for it.

Were I to do so, I am thinking really hard about Buying a Mesa Quad and footswitch,
a Boogie 2902 and another Recto cab.

Am I crazy?

Last edited:
Are you think of selling it only because he has been pestering you to do so? That often results in regrets.
That would be part of it, yes. I think the other part may be that I have had this SLO for over 25 years.
I am slightly tiring of it's sound. I know, sacrilege! But I have been gravitating towards more Mesa
tones over the last year or so personally.

I had never owned the Quad before, but I used to gig with a Studio and a Marshall Mono block
power amp and Marshall greenback loaded cab. I really liked that combo.

hmm if you’ve had it 25 years, I’d say that’s an amp for life. Original run SLO’s will only go up in value. Mesa stuff is rad but I wouldn’t swap the SLO for it in your case. Buy some Mesa stuff to go with it 😈
As a dyed in the wool Mesa guy, I agree with this gent. I think OP will regret it. That, and the SLO100 is my main patch right now on the FM9, and I’d love an SLO30.

I might consider selling my Tri Axis, a 2:90, and a 4x12 Recto cab if you're interested. I hardly use them. I got a good deal on the amps so I don't need top dollar. Maybe that'd help you keep the SLO.

Definitely would sell the slo for a 2:90/studio preamp. SLO’s are easy to find
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

That would be part of it, yes. I think the other part may be that I have had this SLO for over 25 years.
I am slightly tiring of it's sound. I know, sacrilege! But I have been gravitating towards more Mesa
tones over the last year or so personally.

I had never owned the Quad before, but I used to gig with a Studio and a Marshall Mono block
power amp and Marshall greenback loaded cab. I really liked that combo.

I'm a bit late to the party here but just to add to the pile...

Owning an amp for that long means it's almost guaranteed to be a part of how you interact with and even think of electric guitar itself at a conceptual level.

Personally, I love the sound and feel of Mesa's high gain amps, and I've also never gotten along with SLO's much at all despite playing several. And even with that being my personal opinion, I'll tell anybody they'd be absolutely crazy to sell any amp they've liked enough to keep for 25 years just because they're thinking they might be getting bored and curious about wanting some variety.

If you really want a Quad, start saving your extra pennies until you can try one out when you have the cash, and then make the decision to keep or sell it after that, all while you've still got the SLO safe in hand.

Tell your friend to find another SLO.

Last edited:
You could also make a handshake deal with your friend that, you get that amp back if he ever wanted to get rid of it. That way, it stays between you two.

I have that same deal with a couple of friends. Hell, I bought a Foxbody Mustang from a friend of mine, like 12 years ago, and he just recently reminded me that he wants it back, should I ever get rid of it.

Back