Pedal Plagiarism

I changed my mind on this subject when I was researching a delay pedal. Turns out the one I wanted was a 1:1 of the schematic in the PT2399 datasheet.

JHS, Wampler, and a ton more "boutique" pedal builders made a good living out of plagarism, lets not put a lipstick on a pig.
I would buy a clone of a clone on Ali with a crystal clear conscious.
Heck, I just bought an exact clone of a King of Tone on Ali, paint job and all, it's a 90's MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER so Analog Man can cry me a river.

JHS, Wampler, and a ton more "boutique" pedal builders made a good living out of plagarism, lets not put a lipstick on a pig.
I would buy a clone of a clone on Ali with a crystal clear conscious.
Heck, I just bought an exact clone of a King of Tone on Ali, paint job and all, it's a 90's MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER so Analog Man can cry me a river.

I only have an issue with it when the builder pretends it's something it's not and then issues cease and desist orders to stop people finding out. At least wampler and Analogman are pretty open about which circuit they've modded.

But yeah I've no issue with people buying or building clones either. Thorpy, JHS or wampler aren't losing any money by me building a clone because I was never going to spend £300 on dirt box de jour anyway.

Have a first hand experience here:

Bought a NUX Analog Delay yesterday. Pedal even says it "Reissue Series". Reissue of what? Not you pedal. Anyway, the pedal is very nice and the pedal they copied from is not in production for a long time (Ibanez AD9). Even the "neighbor" (Boss DM2) is only availeable as overpriced Waza. No problem with plagiarism for me here, even though the thing is a 1:1 copy.

Disclaimer: Have never owned the Ibanez or Boss myself, so only comparisons I could make are YT.

I've waited... and waited... for 5 days.

kot.jpg

Very high quality clone, pot covers, quality caps, great soldering, carbon comp resistors in various spots, they even put a piece of tubing on the battery connector. This is the highest quality chinese clone I've seen, and I own a ton of them.
5 years, really? GTFO.

* It's the LY-ROCK brand on Aliexpress if you want to know.

20240626_183120.jpg

20240626_183246.jpg

20240626_183216.jpg

20240626_184044.jpg

Very high quality clone, pot covers, quality caps, great soldering, carbon comp resistors in various spots, they even put a piece of tubing on the battery connector. This is the highest quality chinese clone I've seen, and I own a ton of them.
5 years, really? GTFO.

* It's the LY-ROCK brand on Aliexpress if you want to know.

View attachment 24543

View attachment 24544

View attachment 24545

View attachment 24546
I know, trade dress and all, but even though I think it's shameless and crazy sh*t, the build looks legit.

Sounds great too, I'd imagine?

Did you tell them to send you a 1:1 counterfeit though, since there's also a "Ly Rock" branded one, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Wow I can't believe they've cloned the pcb and managed to find or had some caps made which look like Panasonic ECQs.

I’ve never understood the bd2 hype train. I tried it out and it sounded like harsh ass. But Andy Timmons makes it sound :chef

Last edited:
Back