Pantera 2022

As huge Pantera fan back in the day, I think it’s great to see this celebration of the their music performed by some of the best in the business to help their legacy continue…
james hetfield smile GIF
I agree 100%

What percentage do the Abbotts get?

Whatever it was, this is their stance on it. And there's a sh*tload of happy people who are going to see this, myself being one of them. Is it really just a "cash grab" when a f*ckload of people are stoked and are going to have a blast watching it are part of the equation? I mean, any f*cking concert is just a cash grab by that metric, you can just listen to the CD if you just wanted to hear the music. Now I'm going to see some of my favorite songs played by some of my favorite musicians. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_2829.jpg

As huge Pantera fan back in the day, I think it’s great to see this celebration of the their music performed by some of the best in the business to help their legacy continue…
james hetfield smile GIF
This. I watched a few of the videos, and while Zakk sounds great, nobody sounds like Dime did. It's great to see them out playing and I'll go see this group when it comes around my city, but it's not realistic to expect anyone to really copy the feel Dime had on guitar, he was just so unbelievably unique.

Whatever it was, this is their stance on it. And there's a sh*tload of happy people who are going to see this, myself being one of them. Is it really just a "cash grab" when a f*ckload of people are stoked and are going to have a blast watching it are part of the equation? I mean, any f*cking concert is just a cash grab by that metric, you can just listen to the CD if you just wanted to hear the music. Now I'm going to see some of my favorite songs played by some of my favorite musicians. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 2905

Good point. Does it even matter if it is a cash grab if it’s bringing so much happiness to so many? Who’s losing anything in this equation?

Good point. Does it even matter if it is a cash grab if it’s bringing so much happiness to so many? Who’s losing anything in this equation?

The only thing being lost is the time the naysayers are losing by bitching about something they have no power to change, while the rest of the fans get to enjoy a badass show.

Reading the gripes around the internet over this, I have to wonder to a degree if these 30-second mimed instagram videos and people playing to backing tracks live are having a negative effect on the masses. People crying about Zakk not nailing everything 100% spot on and actually becoming Dimebag are causing me to think that way and it’s not even just the younger generation, but dude’s in their 40’s “Zakk didn’t play that flawlessly! They should have gotten so and so, they would have nailed it.”

It’s missing the point of the entire thing; to pay tribute to the band the best way they know how, by getting some best friends of Vinnie and Dime to go up and jam those songs. It’s not about recreating Pantera in their prime or playing everything f*cking perfectly, Dime and Vinnie are the only two dudes I know of who could ever pull off a Pantera set flawlessly (I‘ve yet to see a video of Dimebag hitting a wrong note, not a single instance of it), I’m not going to hold it against anybody for not pulling it off flawlessly.

And I highly doubt Dimebag is lookin’ down at Zakk thinking “You f*ckin’ loser! You just picked every note and I did it with legato! Get off the stage!”

Keyboard warriors hell-bent on their nostalgia trip that demands no one do anything ever again. :idk

It really is an odd situation; they either hated Pantera to begin with and are just using it as another excuse to bag on the band, or they were a huge Pantera fan before and think their opinion holds more weight than both Rita and Dime and Vinnie’s father, who controls Vinnie’s estate. The fact they’re STILL going on about it, STILL saying “It’s not Pantera” as if they’re cluing anyone in on some big secret, is literally like little children being sent to bed early.

It was alright. I've heard and read many people say Zakk is the only person alive who can pull off Dime's stuff in a Pantera reunion. No. That's like saying, "Hey, we're gonna put together a Jimi Hendrix Experience reunion, with Clapton on guitar. He's the only one who can pull it off because they were friends." It's obvious that Zakk can't pull it off. It sounds like Zakk playing Pantera songs. And playing it like he learned the songs from tabs with a 3.5 star rating on Ultimate Guitar.

Charlie is doing pretty good for a 60 year old man. He was struggling with the double bass part on Becoming, though. Phil sounds really good, especially compared with how he's sounded for...oh...the last 15 years. Rex is Rex.

I've been a huge Pantera fan since CFH, but I wouldn't pay money for this. Regardless of what Vinnie's estate says, Vinnie himself was vehemently against any reunion, and there's an interview where he asked if Eddie Van Halen was killed onstage, would people be cool with some other guitar player being brought in to replace him? Hell no.

This may sound bad. But I don't really care what Rita has to say on this. She obviously has a vested interest. Their Dad has a say and for good reason. But he also has a vested interest in this happening. I mean; there has never been a situation like this in the music world. Lot of emotion in play in discussing it. I think over time you will see how it plays out. I know a ton of people are ecstatic over it. As well as a ton of people seething in the comments section everywhere :rofl

As I’ve said before, Rex and Phil weren’t bystanders in the band. It’s their music too, and they have every right to celebrate their legacy in the band.

The people attending are celebrating the history of the band. That’s cool.
So, say Alex Van Halen also passed away. If David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony decided to start touring under the name Van Halen with, say...Reb Beach and Tommy Aldridge, you'd be cool because they're celebrating their own contributions to the band?

Edit: Actually, Reb Beach could probably do a somewhat decent job of pulling off Eddie. So, replace him with another accomplished guitar player who's style is nothing like Ed's.

Its a celebration and a tribute to Dime and Vinnie.... Enjoy it ... or complain about it up to you, to each their own I for one Love this celebration/tribute
But it's packaged as "Pantera". Therein lies the problem. Call yourselves Vulgar Display of Trendkill or something.

But it's packaged as "Pantera". Therein lies the problem. Call yourselves Vulgar Display of Trendkill or something.
Does it really matter? whats in a name anyways ? they could be called daisies.. would not matter to me
the experience of the show on the other hand would, but thats my take on it not everyone will see it as such, and thats Ok too

Back