Pantera 2022

I was actually super moved in hearing them play. Even with the terrible audio that was coming out.

Agree 100%. When I saw the first clip of them doing A New Level, for a brief moment it made me flashback to being 16, standing in the pit ripping it up. (Mainly just getting pummeled)

This is a cool thing, and will probably do more for their legacy than anything that’s happened since Dimes death. If my son were a couple years older I’d make this his first concert. :rawk :chef :ROFLMAO:

This may sound bad. But I don't really care what Rita has to say on this. She obviously has a vested interest. Their Dad has a say and for good reason. But he also has a vested interest in this happening. I mean; there has never been a situation like this in the music world. Lot of emotion in play in discussing it. I think over time you will see how it plays out. I know a ton of people are ecstatic over it. As well as a ton of people seething in the comments section everywhere :rofl
I'm not in the know on this whole situation but we went to a Dimebash in Santa Ana that I'm pretty sure she hosted. I am skeptical that any royalties were paid.

So, say Alex Van Halen also passed away. If David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony decided to start touring under the name Van Halen with, say...Reb Beach and Tommy Aldridge, you'd be cool because they're celebrating their own contributions to the band?

Edit: Actually, Reb Beach could probably do a somewhat decent job of pulling off Eddie. So, replace him with another accomplished guitar player who's style is nothing like Ed's.
Why are you making it about US or the fans?

What about what David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony think and feel? If they wanted to continue to play the music they helped create, and celebrate the legacy of their band members, who are you/we to tell them ”No - you can’t call yourself Van Halen anymore!”

Why are you making it about US or the fans?

What about what David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony think and feel? If they wanted to continue to play the music they helped create, and celebrate the legacy of their band members, who are you/we to tell them ”No - you can’t call yourself Van Halen anymore!”
Tbf; that would be gross :rofl And that would be worse as their name is the band name vs Pantera.

Pantera was one of my favorite bands growing up. I still think of “Dimebag” as “Diamond Darrell”. CFH, VDoP (a masterpiece as far as I’m concerned) and FBD were great albums but that was where it ended for me. I never got into anything after that. In all honesty, Phil’s voice was such a huge part of the sound and I actually think a reunion tour would be really weird without him on vocals. So I’m all for them doing whatever they want to do.

Tbf; that would be gross :rofl And that would be worse as their name is the band name vs Pantera.
I’m not saying it would be ideal, or that they SHOULD, or anything like that. And sure, people can have their opinions. I just think it’s the remaining band members choice and prerogative to carry on if and how they choose, whether any fans like it or not. And then ultimately, ticket sales will show whether that was a smart decision or not…

But when people are on forums or comment sections shouting out “OMG - they CANNOT call themselves that anymore!! Grrr….” It just gets old. If they legally own the rights, then yes they can. If you don’t like it, show your opinion by not buying a ticket to the show. But of course, this is the internet and haters gonna hate, so what do I care, really?

haters GIF

I’m not saying it would be ideal, or that they SHOULD, or anything like that. And sure, people can have their opinions. I just think it’s the remaining band members choice and prerogative to carry on if and how they choose, whether any fans like it or not. And then ultimately, ticket sales will show whether that was a smart decision or not…

But when people are on forums or comment sections shouting out “OMG - they CANNOT call themselves that anymore!! Grrr….” It just gets old. If they legally own the rights, then yes they can. If you don’t like it, show your opinion by not buying a ticket to the show. But of course, this is the internet and haters gonna hate, so what do I care, really?

haters GIF
I'm with you! :beer

As a fan, I’m pretty excited but still treating it like a “Tribute” tour (even if it really isn’t). I’m a huge Dimebag and Zakk fan so it’s cool for me. I don’t think they’re really ruining Pantera for me…

(… not any more than this $&^*%#^* at least)

F46B6231-75FC-4DAC-BB26-A8A6B2780839.jpeg

(I kid, I kid)

:sofa

Last edited:
I'm kind of suprised how much Zakk hate I'm seeing in response to the new clips, although it is the internet, so, not really.

But it sounds to me like he is just killing it and I had the exact opposite response, in that I really dug hearing him play those great riffs and songs. I was expecting he might sound a little sloppier or frenzied, but the stuff I heard was really great guitar playing.

I am not a Pantera superfan and don't know every note of every song though, so maybe it's easier for me just to enjoy it with less expectations and familiarity.

Also, I think Zakk is an established enough player that he can respectfully sound like himself and not be expected to recreate every solo exactly or cop Dimebag's sound/vibe completely. He's not some guy they brought up from a tribute band or something, he's Zakk f*cking Wylde. :)

I'm not in the know on this whole situation but we went to a Dimebash in Santa Ana that I'm pretty sure she hosted. I am skeptical that any royalties were paid.

Rita controls Dime’s estate, so I’m not sure where royalties would have gone? And Vinnie was alive back then, I’m sure if he had any gripes about it it would have been known. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We live in a world where people vehemently disagree with things that do not have any effect on their personal lives whatsoever, so much to the point that people are willing to ruin their personal lives in pursuit of fighting against the things that don’t effect them in their personal lives, so I suppose it’s not strange to see the hate Zakk is getting. Really great impression to make on the younger generation…. :rolleyes:

I just keep going back to this thought- If Dimebag were here, would he be ripping on Zakk for not playing his solos 100% note for note? F*ck no. Would he be on the side of the stage rockin’ out and throwin’ shots at everyone? Yep.

It really is an odd thing though, both the backlash against Metallica and this right after; no one has to go see either band or buy the album, they don’t even have to listen to it for free, but instead of just not participating, there’s some need or desire to sh*t all over it as if sh*tting all over something provides some kind of merit or ‘I’m better than you people who think that’s ok’ aspect. I do not believe these kinds of people are making the world a better place.

We live in a world where people vehemently disagree with things that do not have any effect on their personal lives whatsoever, so much to the point that people are willing to ruin their personal lives in pursuit of fighting against the things that don’t effect them in their personal lives, so I suppose it’s not strange to see the hate Zakk is getting. Really great impression to make on the younger generation…. :rolleyes:

I just keep going back to this thought- If Dimebag were here, would he be ripping on Zakk for not playing his solos 100% note for note? F*ck no. Would he be on the side of the stage rockin’ out and throwin’ shots at everyone? Yep.

It really is an odd thing though, both the backlash against Metallica and this right after; no one has to go see either band or buy the album, they don’t even have to listen to it for free, but instead of just not participating, there’s some need or desire to sh*t all over it as if sh*tting all over something provides some kind of merit or ‘I’m better than you people who think that’s ok’ aspect. I do not believe these kinds of people are making the world a better place.
I'm pretty sure my personal life isn't going to be ruined by saying I think it's in poor taste for these guys to call themselves Pantera. I'm also not concerned with the impression a semi-anonymous post or two on an obscure guitar forum is going to make on the younger generation.

Knowing what I know about Dime, if Zakk was filling in for him for a show or two because his hand was injured or something, he'd absolutely be on the side of the stage cheering him on. This isn't that situation, though. And his brother was vehemently opposed to any sort of reunion without him.

I'm pretty sure my personal life isn't going to be ruined by saying I think it's in poor taste for these guys to call themselves Pantera. I'm also not concerned with the impression a semi-anonymous post or two on an obscure guitar forum is going to make on the younger generation.

Knowing what I know about Dime, if Zakk was filling in for him for a show or two because his hand was injured or something, he'd absolutely be on the side of the stage cheering him on. This isn't that situation, though. And his brother was vehemently opposed to any sort of reunion without him.

Don’t know what to tell ya man, both people who control Dime and Vinnie’s estates are ok with it and if they weren’t I’d surely have a different take on it. I’m not cynical enough to believe every choice made by people in these situations is determined by their payout.

As for the younger generation bit, I wasn’t so much referencing this forum as much as I was Blabbermouth or Revolver comments sections, which are filled with dudes in their late 40’s/50’s crying up a storm about it.

I’m really struggling to care what they call themselves. Seems about one step away from dorks arguing about who is the strongest super hero or something else completely trivial in nature. (I’m not point that at you @Hapless more the general “debate”)

I was a fan of the band, in their prime, so I don’t need anyone to tell me how I should feel about the name this group is touring under. It’s what’s left of Pantera, playing Pantera music. That’s a good thing, and will probably do more to resurrect interest in the bands career (a good thing, no?) than anything that’s happened in the last 15+ years.

Random observations:

I think Phil took all the 'cool' cred with him. Damage Plan was GODAWFUL, no matter how flawless the Paul musicianship was. I think this angered Vinnie and was obviously compounded x a billion in losing his brother. Phil said some DUMB crap to the press and it got blown up. He apologized for it and made amends. For the longest time; that was ALL he got asked about. Really; kind of similar to how we still hear about Mustaine being angry all these years later. That part of fame would SUCK.

I think everyone is going to deal with this situation and how they feel in their own way. No matter how much discussion we do or don't have?

I’m really struggling to care what they call themselves. Seems about one step away from dorks arguing about who is the strongest super hero or something else completely trivial in nature. (I’m not point that at you @Hapless more the general “debate”)

I was a fan of the band, in their prime, so I don’t need anyone to tell me how I should feel about the name this group is touring under. It’s what’s left of Pantera, playing Pantera music. That’s a good thing, and will probably do more to resurrect interest in the bands career (a good thing, no?) than anything that’s happened in the last 15+ years.

Random observations:

I think Phil took all the 'cool' cred with him. Damage Plan was GODAWFUL, no matter how flawless the Paul musicianship was. I think this angered Vinnie and was obviously compounded x a billion in losing his brother. Phil said some DUMB crap to the press and it got blown up. He apologized for it and made amends. For the longest time; that was ALL he got asked about. Really; kind of similar to how we still hear about Mustaine being angry all these years later. That part of fame would SUCK.

I think everyone is going to deal with this situation and how they feel in their own way. No matter how much discussion we do or don't have?

Kind of grouping both your posts together, but I’m all for redemption, for if without it, I think we’re f*cking doomed and no one will ever want to improve or change if there’s no room for it. Phil absolutely said and didn’t some really stupid sh*t, no doubt every day he can’t call up Vinnie or Dime when he gets the urge to is a reminder of that and that’s more hellish than anyone on the internet could ever make him feel.

He’s done what he could to make amends and I’m partially hoping this tour, so long as he doesn’t spin off the rails, helps put some of that sh*t behind him and the band. You can’t even discuss this band in some places without being labelled a racist because of the sh*t Phil said or the paint job on Dime’s guitar, neither of which had anything to do with their music or lyrical content.

Rita controls Dime’s estate, so I’m not sure where royalties would have gone? And Vinnie was alive back then, I’m sure if he had any gripes about it it would have been known. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Royalties would be owed to Pantera for playing the music in a commercial setting.

The venue is pretty established so maybe they have a deal setup, not sure if they usually host cover music there though.

Royalties would be owed to Pantera for playing the music in a commercial setting.

The venue is pretty established so maybe they have a deal setup, not sure if they usually host cover music there though.
The venue would be paying the ascap/bmi fees I'd assume?

The venue would be paying the ascap/bmi fees I'd assume?
I think as they are so closely related to the music that it would be taken care of ahead of time. I know the establishment is ultimately responsible though.

Reactions: JT
Back