Paisley fabric swatches…

fretworn

Rock Star
Gonna do a ~’68 tele build w/ paisley, maple cap neck, 3 pups ( Ron Ellis).

While the classic “old pink “is the traditional look… I know there’s also the blue flowers.

And I’ve seen some black-and-white that looks pretty cool, even some gold and red. Open to ideas here.

tye dye GIF

My Luthier in Maine says it’s traditionally cloth/fabric. (Lacquer causes ink on wallpaper to run. If it’s woven, it endures.)

Of course, there’s an up-charge because that cloth soaks up all the finish; layers like ogres.

EC199FA6-4D1D-4669-AC5B-B9BFB6A65E0F.jpeg

:beer

My Luthier in Maine says it’s traditionally cloth/fabric. (Lacquer causes ink on wallpaper to run. If it’s woven, it endures.)

Of course, there’s an up-charge because that cloth soaks up all the finish; layers like ogres.

View attachment 3087

:beer
Fender was always paper, the only cloth one I can think of that is a production instrument was the Jem 77v.
The one in the picture is a 69 and it's paper. Heavily textured and quite a crude screen print but definitely paper.
9F87861E-B092-4F71-A96B-1A0C83F04EA2.jpeg

Thank you for your passion. I don’t know enough to weigh in on this topic authoritatively.

But, not really worth the debate to me.

I trust Laurent implicitly, having one of his guitars already.

He was pretty adamant when I spoke to him last night. (Even went into great detail about the black Brad Paisley refinished tele where they thought they found wallpaper. It’s not; you can clearly see that it’s fabric.)

:idk :unsure:

Fender was always paper, the only cloth one I can think of that is a production instrument was the Jem 77v.
The one in the picture is a 69 and it's paper. Heavily textured and quite a crude screen print but definitely paper.
View attachment 3088
It’s not paper, it’s screen printed aluminum foil with a pressure sensitive adhesive backing. It was originally for home shelving, “Cling-Foil” was the branding if my memory is right.

@fretworn look at Rothko and Frost for some more color ideas. They’ve got a lot of them. The pattern isn’t perfectly the vintage fender pattern IIRC and it doesn’t have exactly the same look (screen printing is too sharp and it doesn’t have the foil embossing on the background), but it does give you the opportunity to check out a lot of different color options. Can make a cool build, but it doesn’t have quite the same character as the vintage fender stuff.

D

It’s not paper, it’s screen printed aluminum foil with a pressure sensitive adhesive backing. It was originally for home shelving, “Cling-Foil” was the branding if my memory is right.

@fretworn look at Rothko and Frost for some more color ideas. They’ve got a lot of them. The pattern isn’t perfectly the vintage fender pattern IIRC and it doesn’t have exactly the same look (screen printing is too sharp and it doesn’t have the foil embossing on the background), but it does give you the opportunity to check out a lot of different color options. Can make a cool build, but it doesn’t have quite the same character as the vintage fender stuff.

D
The backing is paper on vintage fender with foil on some patterns but it is wall paper.

Last edited:
Ebony fretboard on that tele with black graphtech saddles and knobs would be :chef

I have a bigsby tele(ish) build that I’ve been toying with for a few years, need to finish it this spring. My plan had been to do it in big metal flake, but I’ve almost changed my mind to doing it in black and silver paisley several times now. The paisley would be a lot easier, and it does look really cool. Decisions, decisions….

D

Thank you for your passion. I don’t know enough to weigh in on this topic authoritatively.

But, not really worth the debate to me.

I trust Laurent implicitly, having one of his guitars already.

He was pretty adamant when I spoke to him last night. (Even went into great detail about the black Brad Paisley refinished tele where they thought they found wallpaper. It’s not; you can clearly see that it’s fabric.)

:idk :unsure:
I'd love to see a picture of the fabric because I've only ever seen paper up close on originals.

Back