Painting yourself into a corner with multi-fx

I run a few pedals in the loops of my helix on a side board. For a really small, simple gig or when I’m just super lazy I’ll do everything inside of Helix. I really do enjoy having the Ventris doing reverb outside of helix. I can pretty dramatically change the vibe of my main preset just with switching verbs: big outboard spring verb, subtle plate, moderately wet slightly modulated hall, huge ambient modulated hall, etc. With just toggling through a few great outboard reverb sounds it’s a completely different sound and mood. Having that readily available makes me wonder sometimes if I should just have the most awesome version of every individual pedal and a great controller for everything.

Then, I think about how much I enjoy the automation of the helix when I’m playing live using the snapshots. It is so easy to set that up for a gig. I can’t/won’t give that up.

I’ve thought about looking into a G3 to see if the ease of programming it is bearable, but I doubt it can match the ease of programming the helix. Then I think about how much it would cost and how marginal the “improvement” is likely to be, and decide if I’m gonna drop that much money on more guitar gear it should be a really epic guitar instead of a new version of the pedalboard that I’ll quickly dial in to sound exactly like I always do anyway lol.

D

they are all just tools...it's up to you or anyone else playing to make music with it. i don't get into obsessing over the tools. it surely isn't the fault of the tools that i suck. :)

Back