Painting yourself into a corner with multi-fx

I got a flashback X4 and same thing, love it. I had a timeline, hated it. The flashback is rad, and you have a few presets, and, toneprint is frwaking awesome!

Plethora looks cool, basically toneprint the f**k out of it and just set your own multi fx up, so I was thinking of one as the TC stuff is really good for the money these days

Those are also analog dry thru, which helps eliminate some of that cumulative latency buildup from multiple
AD/DA conversions going on when certain pedals don't have it.

I have an Hall of Fame 2 on my current board. Too bad I am stuck on the Plate setting most of the time.

"A: Analog Dry Through means that the incoming signal from the guitar passes straight through the stompbox and out the pedal’s output — it isn’t converted to digital. Only the signal that is effected, or actually processed by the pedal, is converted to digital. This means that the dry (unprocessed) signal from the guitar is sent straight to your amp, as if there were no pedal in the chain at all."

I have found it really liberating lately to have only a tube amp+cab and the HX effects+expression pedal. I just set up a few variations of effects for various things I like to play and then it's whatever preset straight in to the front of the amp. So far, so good and bonus: I use a G50 and run the aux out from that into my interface-->Mac-->Reaper so at present, no need to mic'ing the cab to have recording fun.
Now, I just need to decide if I want a better interface.....better microphone....maybe some new plugins....? LOL

914386B3-7973-4822-939A-8029806591E8.jpeg
This was my gigging board about 6 or 7 years ago. I still have it. Sits in a hard case you can hide a body in. I do not miss it. Make the Helix work for you.

On a serious note, if you really want your board to have the royal treatment, reach out to best-tronics. You send them a box of pedals and they send back magic. Every cable made for that board and labeled.

It would be cool to have an analog multi-fx for pre- amp stuff. That wasn't that Pink Floyd inspired box that's $999 :bag :hmm

I'm painted into a corner and that's probably a good thing for what I'm doing. I don't blame it on using just a Helix or just a Stomp (with mini switches/exp) because they can be made to do crazy, outlandish things. I blame it on the goal I was going for -- light/consistent. In the real world, I'm just a gigging guitarist with a handful of tones that are pretty standard across the board. Clean compressed, overdriven/volume knob-able, full on lead, fuzzy, wet (trem or verb), and done. One amp model, one IR or real cab - painted into the corner of 'cover guitarist' for the time being.

My analog pedalboard did nothing but grow and grow. I'd rather be painted into a corner than be painted all over the floor :ninja:

I'm painted into a corner and that's probably a good thing for what I'm doing. I don't blame it on using just a Helix or just a Stomp (with mini switches/exp) because they can be made to do crazy, outlandish things. I blame it on the goal I was going for -- light/consistent. In the real world, I'm just a gigging guitarist with a handful of tones that are pretty standard across the board. Clean compressed, overdriven/volume knob-able, full on lead, fuzzy, wet (trem or verb), and done. One amp model, one IR or real cab - painted into the corner of 'cover guitarist' for the time being.

My analog pedalboard did nothing but grow and grow. I'd rather be painted into a corner than be painted all over the floor :ninja:
But at least, gigging and performing validates the “to get the job done” thing imo. Get what you need to enjoy and be able to do what you do. Should be no compromising there.

Me as a homeplayer. Ugh… it’s a struggle. I could have a room like YouTube Jon, or shelves full of pedals and a gigaboard of stuff. Or just settle with a cheap Asian knockoff modeler… it’s a hard balance thinking about what is common sense to have and what is validated as an “extra” little special because I’m worth it. So far Stomp feels like the best middle ground of capability in sound I want and the option to either use it as is or add a pedal or two now and then to satisfy my gear inner gear nerd.

I guess.. if I didn’t have house/kids/wife/cat and so many things that come before music, I’d be like guitar Jon… haha

It is more that, after around 6 or 7 years using the Helix as my main effects platform, I do things on that unit that to do in a single pedals world, requires a bunch of stuff - splitters, mergers, a delay into an EQ, into a compressor, into a reverb... all running in parallel... a pitch whammy style pedal with a mix control.... etc etc etc.....

The only way I can see to be able to do the signal routing type stuff I would want to do, is by having something like a GigRig G3 to handle all of the mad routing stuff.... and then whack it all on a huge ass board.

Some of my patches on the Helix have 4 delays and 2 reverbs in use all throughout a song. I'm pretty far from your typical distorted amp+dm2+volume control kinda guy.

I've been 100% modeling since I picked up the guitar again in about 2015. I stopped gigging and playing in bands about 15 years ago and then took some time off playing, when I got married and had kids. So I play pretty much for and by myself at home, and big expensive loud amps make zero sense for me.

Over the years, I've had lots of different modelers and generally use them for an all-in-one setup (i.e. amps, cabs, effects). That means in some cases I have to make compromises, like I could prefer the amps in a modeler even if I don't love the effects, or I prefer the workflow of a modeler even if I don't love the tone.

I feel like I've posted this a million times, but right now I'm using a hybrid setup with an HX Stomp XL and running a few pedals in the loop: a Jackson Audio Golden Boy (kind of a KOT style pedal with active EQ and boost), a Walrus ARP-87 delay, and a Strymon Iridium handling the amp and cab modeling. I haven't used pedals much at all in that stretch, so it's something different. I can mix and match modeling and effects now.

I do still have an FM3 and will use that more as an all in one modeler, but usually play through the HX Stomp board.

Are we twins... maybe we were separated at birth or something. Im gonna go ask my parents because this is spooky.

But you got to teach me how to keep the builds.... I tear them apart and do it again after a few months. Now I have been in a "no pedals" period using only Stomp.... but im slowly building up GAS and YouTube pedal review time and have a few baskets around with stuff waiting for the satisfying order now click. :rofl
WE are twins

Back