Paint Audio MIDI Captain foot controller

Mostly straightforward in this regard, yeah. I haven’t bothered updating the firmware for “geek mode” support… because Paint Audio doesn’t make it super clear what that means. My needs are relatively simple, and it’s working fine as is.

I forgot to mention: size is great (way smaller than an iPad box lol) but footswitch spacing will be a problem for many. Vertical spacing is slightly further than QC, horizontal spacing is actually slightly closer. :O
I tagged you in another midi controller thread here this morning. It looks super cool as well.

I tagged you in another midi controller thread here this morning. It looks super cool as well.
That touchscreen hub looks really slick, and I like the idea of a simple guitar switch to offer something like GK S1/S2 functionality. But I still question its overall practicality for my purposes. I can't help but look at it as "2+ boxes to do what I would prefer to do with 1 box."

Not clear on a couple of other things:

- The website seems to indicate $200 for the hub and the 2-switch as a bundle, but I'm not 100% that the switch is included.
- No idea whether the 10-switch controller exists yet, when it will, what it will cost, etc...

Posting in the wrong thread LOL.

P.S. I will say this: $200 is a VERY aggressive price for all of that MIDI functionality with a touchscreen UI. As in, "Are we sure this isn't some kind of kickstarter scam" aggressive. (No QC jokes, please.) ;)

Last edited:
P.S. The MIDI Captain's 2 x 5 switches and metallic finish make it a perfect match for my QC. I decided the M-Vave Chocolate controller I nearly threw in the trash is a perfect fit for my HX Stomp. Black, 4 switches assigned to FS1, 2, 4, and 5. (I leave FS3 available on the HX Stomp itself for tap/tuner.) The switches kind of suck, but the MIDI Captain had me in a more compromising/ flexible frame of mind on that point. :D The only downside with the Chocolate is that I can't get the expression pedal input to work with anything. I don't know if mine is defective, or if this is just a massive design flaw no one ever talks about. I've scrubbed the internet looking for a fix... nada. :idk

P.S. The MIDI Captain's 2 x 5 switches and metallic finish make it a perfect match for my QC. I decided the M-Vave Chocolate controller I nearly threw in the trash is a perfect fit for my HX Stomp. Black, 4 switches assigned to FS1, 2, 4, and 5. (I leave FS3 available on the HX Stomp itself for tap/tuner.) The switches kind of suck, but the MIDI Captain had me in a more compromising/ flexible frame of mind on that point. :D The only downside with the Chocolate is that I can't get the expression pedal input to work with anything. I don't know if mine is defective, or if this is just a massive design flaw no one ever talks about. I've scrubbed the internet looking for a fix... nada. :idk
Nice on the match!

Just a quick note about the cheaper Chinese MIDI controllers on Amazon, I had a MIDI Commander a few years ago. Within a month or two of home use, one of the buttons flew off, like it was launched. I could not get it back on, and when I opened it up to see if I could replace it, I saw the spring was held on with a tiny plastic grip.

YMMV, but the MIDI Commander at least was not up to spec. I strongly prefer the Morningstar units for MIDI control.

Just a quick note about the cheaper Chinese MIDI controllers on Amazon, I had a MIDI Commander a few years ago. Within a month or two of home use, one of the buttons flew off, like it was launched. I could not get it back on, and when I opened it up to see if I could replace it, I saw the spring was held on with a tiny plastic grip.

YMMV, but the MIDI Commander at least was not up to spec. I strongly prefer the Morningstar units for MIDI control.
I hated the MIDI Commander and sent it right back. I can’t speak to longevity and certainly wouldn’t expect it to last forever, but the MIDI Captain is a MUCH better value overall.

I would have loved an MC-8, but they’ve been out of stock forever and used prices are even higher than the new prices. (And the new prices were already enough to give pause.)

The MIDI Commander is pretty limited. I saw this on Amazon a while back, it looks like a decent value and seems to be much more flexible. I already have an MC8 and Airstep Combo, so am covered on controllers for now but if I was looking for a cheapo unit, I'd definitely look at it.

Word to the wise... Backup those text files if you are editing them directly... Almost certainly easy to bork and probably do not have super robust syntax checking.

How is the expression pedal sweep towards the toe? My Dunlop MVP and a few other expression pedals seem to go down a few percentages up towards 98%, before making it up to 100%, making a useless for pitch effects.

Also just realized that you can't engage two switches at the same time on the midi commander. How's that on the captain?

The MIDI Commander is pretty limited. I saw this on Amazon a while back, it looks like a decent value and seems to be much more flexible. I already have an MC8 and Airstep Combo, so am covered on controllers for now but if I was looking for a cheapo unit, I'd definitely look at it.

Word to the wise... Backup those text files if you are editing them directly... Almost certainly easy to bork and probably do not have super robust syntax checking.
At this point, I think "decent value" sells MIDI Captain a bit short. All of the hardware is higher quality than MIDI Commander (admittedly a low bar LOL.) Proprietary low-latency Bluetooth is built-in, it can run on batteries, programmability of the 10x switches is really deep, 2x expr. inputs. For $160! If I had MC-8 money in my pocket, I could get two of these instead - with money left over for some wireless receivers, or beer. :D I don't doubt the MC-8 is superior in many ways (switch quality, switch spacing, LED programmability), but it actually lacks a couple of nice features (and 2 switches) the MIDI Captain offers. (Not that everyone will want or need those features, of course. On stage, an MC-8 is likely to share a power supply with the rest of a board, and be hardwired with a proper MIDI cable. But the MIDI Captain is ideal for studio use, where it might come in and out of storage, move around the room, etc..)

Agreed re: backing up text files. (y) Paint Audio explicitly makes this recommendation in their instructions.

Last edited:
How is the expression pedal sweep towards the toe? My Dunlop MVP and a few other expression pedals seem to go down a few percentages up towards 98%, before making it up to 100%, making a useless for pitch effects.

Also just realized that you can't engage two switches at the same time on the midi commander. How's that on the captain?
I'll have to retest but I thought my (ridiculous) Dunlop DVP1XL worked fine. And then I got it back on the forklift and put it away. :rimshot I could be wrong about that, though. One of my expr. pedals had the problem you described when I plugged it straight into the QC: topping out at 99% no matter how many times I recalibrated. The Ampero Press works great plugged directly into the QC, but lurches from 0 to 75% about halfway through the sweep if I plug it into the MIDI Captain. Not sure who's to blame there - the Press for sucking or the MIDI Captain for not tolerating the sucking? :idk My EV-1-WL works a charm no matter what, but unless I'm using CME WIDI Master, that's an either/or vs. another wireless controller e.g. MIDI Captain.

Confused yet? :D

Not sure about two simultaneous switches. I'll have to test that in Stomp mode tonight and get back to you.

I'll have to retest but I thought my (ridiculous) Dunlop DVP1XL worked fine. And then I got it back on the forklift and put it away. :rimshot I could be wrong about that, though. One of my expr. pedals had the problem you described when I plugged it straight into the QC: topping out at 99% no matter how many times I recalibrated. The Ampero Press works great plugged directly into the QC, but lurches from 0 to 75% about halfway through the sweep if I plug it into the MIDI Captain. Not sure who's to blame there - the Press for sucking or the MIDI Captain for not tolerating the sucking? :idk My EV-1-WL works a charm no matter what, but unless I'm using CME WIDI Master, that's an either/or vs. another wireless controller e.g. MIDI Captain.

Confused yet? :D

Not sure about two simultaneous switches. I'll have to test that in Stomp mode tonight and get back to you.
P.S. My Line 6 expression pedal doesn't work with anything but my HX Stomp, which doesn't work with anything but my Line 6 expression pedal. No idea why.

And I might be mistaken about one of the pedals going to 99% when plugged directly into the QC; I may have had it running through the MIDI Captain at the time. Will need to retest.

At this point, I think "decent value" sells MIDI Captain a bit short. All of the hardware is higher quality than MIDI Commander (admittedly a low bar LOL.) Proprietary low-latency Bluetooth is built-in, it can run on batteries, programmability of the 10x switches is really deep, 2x expr. inputs. For $160! If I had MC-8 money in my pocket, I could get two of these instead - with money left over for some wireless receivers, or beer. :D
That is great to hear. The MC8 is awesome. You're kind of making me GAS now, though. :p

The MC8 had pretty much ended my quest for something with enough flexibility to have complete control of everything. But I'm kind of a MIDI fiend now that I think about it... I wrote an editor for past units I've owned before computer editors were a thing, etc... Constantly messing with the configs, etc. Latest effort is to get the Airstep and the MC8 to talk to each other wirelessly.

Currently have:
  • MeloAudio TS Mega (same as MIDI Commander but is also an audio interface, etc, it is actually a really cool device in some ways; but has that MIC quality to it)
  • Tech 21 MIDI Mouse
  • Yamaha MFC-10
  • Morningstar MC8
  • Airstep Full AND lite (What they call the Airstep combo)
  • A god awful number of Wireless dongles, a CME MIDI thru BT6, etc.
Yeesh. If you need me I'll be on Amazon.

Last edited:
That is great to hear. The MC8 is awesome. You're kind of making me GAS now, though. :p

The MC8 had pretty much ended my quest for something with enough flexbility to have complete control of everything. But I'm kind of a MIDI fiend now that I think about it... I wrote an editor for past units I've owned before computer editors were a thing, etc... Constantly messing with the configs, etc. Latest effort is to get the Airstep and the MC8 to talk to each other wirelessly.

Currently have:
  • MeloAudio TS Mega (same as MIDI Commander but is also an audio interface, etc, it is actually a really cool device in some ways; but has that MIC quality to it)
  • Tech 21 MIDI Mouse
  • Yamaha MFC-10
  • Morningstar MC8
  • Airstep Full AND lite (What they call the Airstep combo)
  • A god awful number of Wireless dongles, a CME MIDI thru BT6, etc.
Yeesh. If you need me I'll be on Amazon.
We have the same disease LOL. I have been hunting for Mr. Right MIDI Controller(s) for as long as I can remember. Often with an integrated audio interface like that TS Mega. Native Instruments had a promising option out at one point (and of course I bought it) called the Rig Kontrol 4. (I was using Guitar Rig a lot at the time.) But like the MeloAudio stuff, it had INSANELY loud switches. Drove me crazy and I finally sold it.

After testing the MIDI Mate dongle with the MIDI Captain and being slightly less than impressed, I processed returns for both and re-ordered the MIDI Captain for $160... then canceled that order and re-ordered the bundle, making the MIDI Mate basically free vs. my original order. I figured there would likely be times where I wasn't using an expression pedal, and I'd want to use the Bluetooth integrated in the MIDI Captain. Otherwise I'll just add the MIDI Mate to my own god awful pile. :D

So anyway, yeah... I wouldn’t necessarily expect the MIDI Captain to replace your MC-8 for live or mission-critical purposes, but I still think it's worth buying and trying. You'll almost certainly find enough utility value in the studio to justify it.

Last edited:
That touchscreen hub looks really slick, and I like the idea of a simple guitar switch to offer something like GK S1/S2 functionality. But I still question its overall practicality for my purposes. I can't help but look at it as "2+ boxes to do what I would prefer to do with 1 box."

Not clear on a couple of other things:

- The website seems to indicate $200 for the hub and the 2-switch as a bundle, but I'm not 100% that the switch is included.
- No idea whether the 10-switch controller exists yet, when it will, what it will cost, etc...

Posting in the wrong thread LOL.

P.S. I will say this: $200 is a VERY aggressive price for all of that MIDI functionality with a touchscreen UI. As in, "Are we sure this isn't some kind of kickstarter scam" aggressive. (No QC jokes, please.) ;)
I’m the Graviton M1 creator :). I can answer your questions:

- The $200 Graviton M1 is bundled with the XY Controller (the tiny black remote you can attach on your guitar and control everything wirelessly). I’ll make it more clear on the website.

- The XY Controller has two 5-directional switches, equivalent to a 10-switch floor pedal. This is video of me playing with it (also on the website)

- The upcoming F10 footswitch pedal I mentioned will be available next month, priced around $50 (if you prefer footswitches instead)

Yes its priced very aggressively because its new on the market, available now and not a kickstarter scam ;)

Last edited:
I’m the Graviton M1 creator :). I can answer your questions:

- The $200 Graviton M1 is bundled with the XY Controller (the tiny black remote you can attach on your guitar and control everything wirelessly). I’ll make it more clear on the website.

- The XY Controller has two 5-directional switches, equivalent to a 10-switch floor pedal. This is video of me playing with it (also on the website)

- The upcoming F10 footswitch pedal I mentioned will be available next month, priced around $50 (if you prefer footswitches instead)

Yes its priced very aggressively because its new on the market, available now and not a kickstarter scam ;)

You very much have my attention. :) I clearly underestimated the potential of the XY controller. F10 for $50 is an amazing price, as well.

Great demo and great playing, btw. I was only kidding about the Kickstarter scam. :D

@mbenigni how are those two simultaneous switches working out?

Just came across a vid showing off the Time Engine feature -- it's pretty much midi sequencing per song -- would have been great when I was playing to tracks in the funk band. I wonder if it records expression pedal moves too..

Just listed my MIDI Commander
gifkade-chris-pratt.gif

@mbenigni how are those two simultaneous switches working out?

Just came across a vid showing off the Time Engine feature -- it's pretty much midi sequencing per song -- would have been great when I was playing to tracks in the funk band. I wonder if it records expression pedal moves too..

Yeah I finally worked that out re: MIDI sequencer. Not sure how useful it would be for automation without some kind of MIDI clock/sync, but there might be some interesting applications for note on/off sequencing. (Just a hunch, but I’d be surprised if expr. pedal movement were recorded.)

Simultaneous switching appears to work insofar as I’m seeing two effects assigned to two switches toggle on and off, though I can’t be sure these aren’t sending as two separate events occurring very close to simultaneously. A proper test would be a momentary press/ hold/ release across two switches, but I haven’t programmed anything like that yet.

Back