OMG has ernie ball lost it? $3150? for new re released supersport axis? wow

I'm morbidly curious about what happens at a circus that you actually claim ownership over.
sexy-brunette.gif

Lolipops & blowjobs ...

It may just be my luck, but I have not played a Sterling that was what I’d consider ‘good’ or remotely ‘great’ yet. Not in comparison to the SE’s I’ve played/owned. I’d buy a Sterling Majesty in a fucking heartbeat if those were on par with SE’s, no question, I’d have a 6 and 7 string by now.
Drew, Have you considered the Sterling Sabre ? I don't have one but I've been looking at them....

Hey, if my mortgage, other bills and ability to eat food relied solely on my killer guitar tone and ability to pump out albums via contract with Warner Bros., you bet yer ass I wouldn't be giving away any secrets, either. I'd say Billy Gibbons would agree, too.

Drew, Have you considered the Sterling Sabre ? I don't have one but I've been looking at them....

I’ll try one if I ever see one, for shits and giggles. I mainly was thinking of a Majesty for a guitar to use in a live band, I want a couple similar sounding guitars to keep things uniform, a 6 and a 7, but Solar scratches that particular itch for me rather well.

200w.gif

Eddie’s always going to be a legend. One of the handful of players throughout history who have shifted the tone in popular guitar. A lot of envy out there.
Well current generational history has no "guitar hero' unless J. Mayer makes you wet.
Thats why Gibson / Fender / PRS and such are shitting their pants as the way of the juke box hero dies with the Boomers.
Ya know the ones that buy 10K Brazillian LP's which will be seasoned firewood in 15+ yrs.
As for Ed, some good some bad. His asymetrical tapping & wanging the last 30 years pretty much rinse & repeat stuff.

Modern guitar prices for some models are indeed out of their minds. On the other hand, there are enough reasonably priced guitars these days, plus parts and DIY videos where you can often enough mod to have what you'd really like. In that way we're in a golden age. But if there's just one model you've been pining after and it sells for blues lawyer prices, then it just sucks.

I'm really excited that Anderson recently released the Bobcat Locker, but based on the prices of Bobcats, I don't think I'll go down that road. I looked at the prices of Ron Thorn guitars yesterday and I was really wondering what the logic is.

These are tiny companies, but still the prices puzzle me, even moreso when the ubiquitous guys do it.

Actually on topic, the quilt version is $200 more. You can't get one without a highly figured top, or without an insanely figured neck, it seems. Cutlass is at $2999, and it doesn't have the figured top, no body binding, but does have the absurd level of figure on the neck, even for rosewood board guitars. Silhouette is $2899, is available in only one finish option, still has a pretty highly figured maple neck; Silhouette Special is $2799 and only difference is it is HSS instead of HSS and it is 22 instead of 24 fret. Stephen Edgerton (?) sig model seems to be the cheapest in their line -- single hum bucker that appears to be straight wired to the output jack (?!?), plain maple neck that is finished with polyester instead of oil/wax, single finish option, simple fixed bridge. $2599 -- its a sig model so you have to tack on some level of royalty to the artist (whoever tf he is), but still...Even generously calling that an extra cost of $150 per instrument, you're looking at $2449 for a guitar with one VERY SIMPLE solder joint, one pickup, a pretty basic bridge, plain woods, only one finish option, and a more simplified neck finish.

By comparison, a Gibson Les Paul Standard is $3k, where an LP junior is $1600. Yes, you're also stripping away the need to carve the top in going from an LP Std. to an LP jr., but you aren't changing the bridge cost by much, and are still keeping the need to solder up volume/tone knob.

Which is to say, it's not soooo much the cost of the Axis that surprises me as it is the price of a lot of their "simpler" guitars.

By comparison, a Gibson Les Paul Standard is $3k, where an LP junior is $1600. Yes, you're also stripping away the need to carve the top in going from an LP Std. to an LP jr.

Junior is an all mahogany body - no maple cap or veneer, if I remember right.

Junior is an all mahogany body - no maple cap or veneer, if I remember right.
Hold My Hand Forest GIF by Eternal Family

Axis Sport: figured maple top, bound body, figured neck, two pickups, trem bridge
Stephen Egerton: no maple top, no bound body, no figured neck, one pickup, fixed bridge

LP Std: carved maple top, binding, two pickups
LP Jr: no maple top, no binding, one pickup

Put another way: Les Paul was active from mid-40s; Clapton/Page/Hendrix from late-60s; EVH from late 70s.

How many people played a Les Paul guitar in the 80s without having a clue who Les Paul was, much less because his name was on the headstock? How many people were trying to sound like Les Paul in the 60s, 70s, or 80s?

Back