Okay... so if wood doesn't matter.... and scale length doesn't matter....

That’s an interesting thought, I didn’t look into that. I would think you’re probably right.

I noticed it because I was playing a production of Mamma Mia when I got the guitar and that signature motif in that song lands on an F# and holds it for almost a measure.

First time I played it the note died out immediately… then it happened again… so I moved to a different position and same thing.

I took the guitar home and messed around with it the next day and found it seemed to be that specific frequency.

I didn’t have time to mess with it so I returned it for a different guitar.

Bummer too because otherwise I loved the guitar
With the Virtual Capo in the Pitch Block in the Fractal stuff being as good as it is (not saying only Fractal; I don't know how other brands are in this regard), if this is a problem for a particular song, I would transpose it up or down a half step, and probably just for the part where the problem note is, and use the VC to put it back to the correct key.

Oh my, now I read this thread as "wood" and "length" and I'm pretty sure she says they matter! :)

By the early 60's it wouldn't have been an issue as Fender was coating everything in poly, but for those first runs for sure just an accident waiting to happen. Modern finishing makes it a non-issue.
The poly sealer that Fender used in the early 60s was no stronger than nitro . Early 60s bodies before the sale are finished very thin.
IMG_1525.jpeg

This is a 64.
IMG_1474.jpeg

And an all nitro 59
IMG_1572.jpeg

The only thing different really is the process.
The 50 body was sealed then painted with three tints, even the dark brown is translucent. Then clear.
The 60s body is sealed in amber tinted fullerplast (poly) then painted with black paint (fully opaque) then the red tint and finally the clear. Quicker and cheaper not tougher. The heavy plastic base coat is later.

Last edited:
I reckon if Slash had tried to record appetite for destruction with a non-acoustically resonant guitar Chinese Democracy would have come out 20 years earlier.
And many famous players guitars are not great examples . How did Jimi play Woodstock without true bypass pedals?:crazy
This discussion is about guitars verses guitar shaped commodities and does it matter. There is a difference but how big it is and does it affect you is obviously a personal thing. Some people love to chase tone and others don't care. Some people buy guitars because of what they look like and set their amp by numbers. There is a difference and everything has an effect but the question is 'how good is good enough' and that is a personal line and going beyond it get's very expensive. Everyone who has played for a few years will have come across a guitar that for some reason works better, sounds better than other supposedly identical guitars. All this is is trying to identify it, quantify it and replicate it.

And many famous players guitars are not great examples . How did Jimi play Woodstock without true bypass pedals?:crazy
This discussion is about guitars verses guitar shaped commodities and does it matter. There is a difference but how big it is and does it affect you is obviously a personal thing. Some people love to chase tone and others don't care. Some people buy guitars because of what they look like and set their amp by numbers. There is a difference and everything has an effect but the question is 'how good is good enough' and that is a personal line and going beyond it get's very expensive. Everyone who has played for a few years will have come across a guitar that for some reason works better, sounds better than other supposedly identical guitars. All this is is trying to identify it, quantify it and replicate it.
Mostly this. At the end of the day all that matters is the song. All the hit songs throughout time would have still been hits had you have traded strats for Les pauls and Les pauls for Ibanez.

bumping cuz beer and feeling saucy

But…

The ultimate irony imo, is that while I will aggressively “debate” both here and the other place against science deniers….

Wood (and the boogie man term “Tonewood) actually doesn’t matter much at all -to me-

But I sure AF am not going to deny the laws of physics :cop

Back