Odd Warble OD tone

The only conclusion I can draw at the Moment is something wrong with the Helix :(
Oh Cygnus X2 where art thou :D
Think i better lower my Selling price on Marketplace lol

Best thing might be to pause your sale and contact Line 6 support ?

Well I can definitely hear the warble sound you mentioned, but I'm also hearing a delayed duplicated copy of your original signal with some modulation effect - perhaps from phasing? This is weird AF.
And well I dont hear it when sliding 5 to 7, the sustain is natural and sounds as it should , but not when sliding from 7-9

And well I dont hear it when sliding 5 to 7, the sustain is natural and sounds as it should , but not when sliding from 7-9

The thing is, I'm still hearing delay on your slide from 5 to 7, and you say that there are no effect blocks engaged?

The thing is, I'm still hearing delay on your slide from 5 to 7, and you say that there are no effect blocks engaged?
On that recording all effects are on including delay but listen to the first take 5-7 sustain is as it should be then right after 7-9 and that's the dissonant warble I hear

I could post Just OD amp and cab but from my tests it still the same Ill post that as well tomorrow before i do a factory reset (y)

Maybe less pronounced due to some Compression and Delay but its still very much there

Sorry to say so but it's all about your playing. It's the open D string ringing along a bit. That's causing some intermodulation. And quite obviously, it's not as noticeable when you slide from 5th to 7th fret, because that's a D as the target note. When you however slide from 7 to 9, the target note is an E, which will not go along as well with the open D string.

Solution: Dampen the open D string. Best bet would possibly be to use a part of the tip of your index finger.

Sorry to say so but it's all about your playing. It's the open D string ringing along a bit. That's causing some intermodulation. And quite obviously, it's not as noticeable when you slide from 5th to 7th fret, because that's a D as the target note. When you however slide from 7 to 9, the target note is an E, which will not go along as well with the open D string.

Solution: Dampen the open D string. Best bet would possibly be to use a part of the tip of your index finger.
no not touching any other sting whatsoever, just had a friend i know who's been playing far longer than i have and is much more accomplished, i played it like he did, and he agrees something funky going on he also suspects has something to do with the modeller

no not touching any other sting whatsoever, just had a friend i know who's been playing far longer than i have and is much more accomplished, i played it like he did, and he agrees something funky going on he also suspects has something to do with the modeller

Sorry, but you can *very clearly* hear the open D string (or it's 7th fret harmonics because your index finger's tip might have lightly touched it there) ringing in your example. Really, it's absolutely obvious.
If you don't believe, place a capo in the first fret and play the same thing again.

Listen to this, that's from the first pass of your example. It's glaringly obvious there's a D note creeping in. Which is coming from a not properly dampened open D string. Absolutely no way around it.

Listen to this, that's from the first pass of your example. It's glaringly obvious there's a D note creeping in. Which is coming from a not properly dampened open D string. Absolutely no way around it.

Dont care i know how I'm doing this its just sliding on the g string as did my friend, there's no complex technique there, it is a simple slide 5-7 and 7- 9 I am not touching any other strings

Dont care i know how I'm doing this its just sliding on the g string as did my friend, there's no complex technique there, it is a simple slide 5-7 and 7- 9 I am not touching any other strings

There's an open D string ringing, period. The Helix isn't just synthesizing this tone.
As said, play the samy with a capo in the first fret. Or dampen the open strings with something. Whatever. The "warble" will be gone either way.

Argue Sesame Street GIF

Dont have a capo and im telling you im no where near the D string, ill see what i can come up with to dampen the string and ill re record the same part this time no delay no reverb, but i just played the parts again no delay no reverb 5-7 good natural sustain 7-9 dissonant warble, even tried lower 9-11 still warble, then 10-12 and no warble, natural sustain so my fingers and technique are changing from fret to fret?

Dont have a capo and im telling you im no where near the D string,

Yes you are. The G string is next to the D string.
even tried lower 9-11 still warble,

Target note: F#, warbling along with a D.
then 10-12 and no warble

Target note: G, not warbling.
Check the principles of harmonic series.

Fwiw, this is an extremely common thing to happen. So, no need to discuss it any longer for me. You can decide to try what I suggested, you could as well perhaps take some advice from someone with 40 years of playing and 30+ years of teaching experience on his belt. But you can as well not.

Last edited:
@Stone You could just put a little painter's tape around the B & D strings to hold them still and together; and then play the G on its own and check Sasha's theory.

Back