NPD: 535Q Cry Baby Mini

kartikg3

Roadie
I am a wah lover. Ever since I sold most of my analog gear including my favourite 535Q wah in the hopes of the best in class modelers easily replacing it, I have been extremely disappointed with the way tones on them. I have tried the MX5, Line 6 HX, among other ones, and I ve never been happy with the wah. Granted, the wah tones I look for ranges from Hendrix-esque tones, to Kirk Hammett, to Joe Satriani to Vai type ways, and my original 535Q was the only one that could take me there.

I found a great deal on a used like new 535Q mini. Bought it, plugged it in and a couple of turns of the q knob, the boost and the range selector and immediately I am there!

Pics to come soon.

I am a wah lover. Ever since I sold most of my analog gear including my favourite 535Q wah in the hopes of the best in class modelers easily replacing it, I have been extremely disappointed with the way tones on them. I have tried the MX5, Line 6 HX, among other ones, and I ve never been happy with the wah. Granted, the wah tones I look for ranges from Hendrix-esque tones, to Kirk Hammett, to Joe Satriani to Vai type ways, and my original 535Q was the only one that could take me there.

I found a great deal on a used like new 535Q mini. Bought it, plugged it in and a couple of turns of the q knob, the boost and the range selector and immediately I am there!

Pics to come soon.

+1. It's a great wah pedal - better than many boutique ones I've tried!

I recently got a Joyo wah/volume and it combines the 535q with a volume pedal. Very nice actually!

Last edited:
Size It Could Be A Little Bigger GIF by TLC

I‘m also a wah junkie, to the point that I went with Mission Engineering pedals for both my Fractal rigs because I can’t stand the feeling of anything but a Dunlop-style pedal to control a wah. While I’m overall content with the wah’s in Fractal land and the programmability, I plugged in my Cantrell wah a few weeks ago and despite having the same settings stored in my AxeFX, there was something different about it. Not good or bad, just different.

I can’t do the mini’s, I wear a size 13 and I never land on them right. I always feel like I’ll fall over when I’m using a mini the few times I have, but they’re cute as hell, just like the mini Fuzz Faces (that I won’t buy just because I love the look of full size, completely impractical Fuzz Faces).

The 535 is a killer wah!

I have tried the MX5, Line 6 HX, among other ones, and I ve never been happy with the wah. Granted, the wah tones I look for ranges from Hendrix-esque tones, to Kirk Hammett, to Joe Satriani to Vai type ways, and my original 535Q was the only one that could take me there.

Just updating the thread, I sold the wah after the new cabs came out in the Helix, and after that point, I could very easily match and/or get great and versatile tones out of my HX Stomp wah models.

But here are the pics I promised (took these pics for my marketplace ad).
1706738790239.png

1706738816491.png

I have one of the mini cry baby wahs. Mine isn't the same as this one. I didn't know they even had the mini of the 535Q. I have a full size 535Q. I bought the mini wah for a mini board I built of all mini pedals. I was worried that it would be hard to use since it is so short. I quickly found that if I put it more around the arch of my foot it works and feels like a bigger pedal.

Here's mine on my board, love it. I don't use a lot of wah, so I can deal with the smallness and adjust (TWSS). I do prefer my 8” Dunlop expression pedal size, as far as smaller wah/expression goes, but I can make this work.

IMG_5192.jpeg

Last edited:
Back