Non-CS Fenders now over $3,000

Unfinished mahogany necks on the other hand .... :grin :grin

I’m playing this as I read that comment-

IMG_6062.jpeg

very nice.

what does the rest of the guitar look like?

Like shit. :rofl

IMG_6061.jpeg

But it’s such a badass workhorse of a guitar I almost consider never taking it out to use it live. A bit of a unicorn in that it was $500 new back in ‘05 but is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I’ve ever had my hands on. I was just telling Dave and Tom earlier that I haven’t touched the truss rod on this since I lowered the action on all my guitars over a decade ago and the neck just doesn’t move.

I've never played an unfinished mahogany neck. How would you describe the feel and playability?

I really dig unfinished necks, the more raw feeling the better, I usually run 60 or 80 grit paper over the unfinished ones and let my hands smooth everything over. There’s a texture to it that doesn’t really slow you down, just has a feeling to it.

I know I got really big on sanding the backs of my necks when I was playing live all the time, my two LP’s still have the finish on them and are fairly minty, so I’m going to wait until I start playing live again to see how I feel about it. At home I’m fine with the finish.

Like shit. :rofl

View attachment 20263

But it’s such a badass workhorse of a guitar I almost consider never taking it out to use it live. A bit of a unicorn in that it was $500 new back in ‘05 but is one of the best playing/sounding guitars I’ve ever had my hands on. I was just telling Dave and Tom earlier that I haven’t touched the truss rod on this since I lowered the action on all my guitars over a decade ago and the neck just doesn’t move.
Tons of character > sprayed on finish

I really dig unfinished necks, the more raw feeling the better, I usually run 60 or 80 grit paper over the unfinished ones and let my hands smooth everything over. There’s a texture to it that doesn’t really slow you down, just has a feeling to it.

I know I got really big on sanding the backs of my necks when I was playing live all the time, my two LP’s still have the finish on them and are fairly minty, so I’m going to wait until I start playing live again to see how I feel about it. At home I’m fine with the finish.
It looks like both of the ones shown in this thread have pore filler so they aren't quite the same as a genuinely unfinished mahogany neck. I can dig a not-smooth-as-a-baby's-bottom neck but would think 80 grit mahogany without pore filler might be a little TOO rough.

Nothing ultra fancy but a very well built guitar...

Not my photo ( it's dark already here ). Looks similar but the top is not that fancy ...

BNduerw8VQfxEGwEU2cFhA.jpg

Back to strats, inquiring about the weight of this one. Very interested - got some gear to move that would more than pay for it.
You don't often see anything close to quartersawn with Fenders unless it's custom shop and you request it.

1990-91 Vintage Series '57 Re-Issue. Pretty ridiculous shape for 30+ yo axe!

3.jpg

Back to strats, inquiring about the weight of this one. Very interested - got some gear to move that would more than pay for it.
You don't often see anything close to quartersawn with Fenders unless it's custom shop and you request it.

1990-91 Vintage Series '57 Re-Issue. Pretty ridiculous shape for 30+ yo axe!

View attachment 20268

An ‘88 popped up local to me for $1300 in stupid good condition. I immediately had to put my phone down because my thumb was moving to the Message Seller button. Definitely my favorite line Fender has mostly kept going since the 80’s.

An ‘88 popped up local to me for $1300 in stupid good condition. I immediately had to put my phone down because my thumb was moving to the Message Seller button. Definitely my favorite line Fender has mostly kept going since the 80’s.

My only trepidation with this one is it looks to have a 3 piece body and some of them are well known to be boat anchors. Seller is getting back with a weight on Wednesday and if it's 7.6 lbs or less, it's going to be really hard not to make him an offer.

Last edited:
Gibson actually significantly LOWERED their prices shortly before Covid. In 2018 LPs were more expensive than they are now, followed by a big drop in 2019

Yeah, but you have to remember that was when Henry was at his (arguably) insane worst. The price drop happened after the new ownership took over.

I went shopping for a Tele a couple of weeks ago. I thought I wanted one because Julian Lage has one.

I tried every Tele in two stores. From cheapest to dearest.

I didn't like any of them and walked away with nothing. Pretty disillusioned after.

Turns out Lage's Tele isn't even a Tele. It's a Nachocaster. And I can't help but feel if I bought a Tele-esque from my favourite brand, Schecter, it would probably smoke any Fender.

I haven't tried every Fender out there and can obviously be proven wrong but it just feels to me like Fender have rested on their laurels because they know their name sells.

A bit pricey. Still I wouldn't mind one of these. Every time someone asks to have a go I'd go to hand it to them and as they reach out I'll quickly pull it back and say, "It's Nachocaster."

Back