NGD Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder with Sustainiac

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
Traded for this guitar about a week ago.

Originally came with 10s and I thought it was great. Decided to put some 9s on it and after intonation I think this is one of my favorite guitars I have ever played. It is very in tune with itself and very fast.

Let's talk about the Sustainiac also, pretty fun!

20240515_160353.jpg

Last edited:
Not a huge fan of the Sustainiacs hence one will probably be on the market soon, Itdoes have the deepest flame I've seen in a while but the Sustainiac just isn't for me I guess

Attachments

• 71111853_10156122723326511_5395355530896080896_n.jpg
    71111853_10156122723326511_5395355530896080896_n.jpg
    992.6 KB · Views: 8
Not a huge fan of the Sustainiacs hence one will probably be on the market soon, Itdoes have the deepest flame I've seen in a while but the Sustainiac just isn't for me I guess
I haven't had much time with it but one thing I like is playing riffs on the neck pickup with it on. Adds some versatility.

I use an E-Bow and a Freqout quite a bit, the biggest thing I’m looking forward to a Sustainer/Sustainiac for is layering beds of harmonies down without having to use an E-Bow. Zakk Wylde did it a bunch on some earlier BLS albums and it kinda stuck with me.

Then there’s also the Vai approach to it, which I most likely won’t see a lot of action with, but I’m sure I’d work it into some solos.

I kind of wish I would have snagged an Ed O'Brien Sig Strat when they were $1k new. Nice tool
to have in the arsenal.

Yes the sustainer is a tone suck problem when off. The whole thing stays in the loop even off and because of the way it works there is no way to circumnavigate this. The answer is just use it on tunes when you want it and never in your no one.

Yes the sustainer is a tone suck problem when off. The whole thing stays in the loop even off and because of the way it works there is no way to circumnavigate this. The answer is just use it on tunes when you want it and never in your no one.
I instantly loved the pickups in the Super Shredder. In what way do you mean there is tone suck? Rolled off highs or?

Never tried the Sustainiac but I did briefly have a Fernandes Revolver with the Sustainer and I thought it was awesome as fuck

Shame the fretwork on one side of the fretboard was fucked up so I ended up returning the guitar

I had a Hamer Chaparral with a Sustainiac (and a wild snakeskin finish) many years ago. I really liked the idea of it, but never made much use of it in practice. I always suspected mine was defective in some way - the output just seemed too low - but since it was the only Sustainiac I'd ever played, I couldn't be sure.

Coincidentally, I've been thinking about replacing the neck humbucker in my Jem Jr with a single coil and Sustainiac (if only to fill the rest of the hole LOL.) Not sure if that's even possible, or what it would entail, but HSS > HSH IMO. I'd have to find/make a place to hide the battery, which would probably be the biggest PITA. Ideally, I'd put the single coil closer to the neck to make it sound as "Stratty" as possible, and I'm not sure whether moving the Sustainiac closer to the bridge would adversely affect its performance. You always see them installed adjacent to the neck for some reason.

Anyway, @Eagle's "tonesuck" comment above makes me hesitant all over again. And changing nothing is always easier. :D

Back