NGD: Epiphone DG-335

Foxmeister

Roadie
So, been waiting for this guitar to come out ever since it was "leaked" last year, and even though I knew the day it was going to be released and was primed to order, I completely missed out despite trying to order within minutes of the guitar going up on the various UK websites.

Rather than wait a ridiculous amount of time to get one, I managed to get one from Japan via eBay, with a seller that didn't try to price gouge, although import duty and VAT did mean I paid around £300 over the odds for it, but it was either that or wait months.

It's a really well made bit of kit and plays beautifully, so I'm not disappointed.

PXL_20240322_175914326 (3).jpg

The only thing I intend to change on it is the colour of the finger board - the Indian Laurel on my guitar is much lighter than I'd expected, so I'm getting some Montypresso fingerboard relicing wax to make it look closer to Brazilian rosewood.

Let us know how you get on trying to darken the board. I've seen people getting very different results using montypresso.

No way Gibson put that headstock on one of their guitars :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin :grin

Especially when a guitar is pushing $1500 after taxes.
But you do need to remember what that will have left the factory for.
I remember some years back when China first made the Squire affinity strat talking to a friend at fender and he told me the factory gate price was £17(cost only ). These days you can guesstimate by taking off the tax and divide by four. This isn’t the company taking the piss it is a whole bunch of different people talking a relatively small margin by normal retail standards.

Congrats!

In a recent video by Mythos pedals, they applied the wax and it made it a good bit darker, iirc.
I’m sure it’ll turn up nice.

Congrats!

In a recent video by Mythos pedals, they applied the wax and it made it a good bit darker, iirc.
I’m sure it’ll turn up nice.
Funnily enough, I watched their video today, and they applied an initial coat which they left for a few hours and then applied another which they left overnight.

I decided to do the same and this is the result after about 6 hours.

PXL_20240327_190930074.jpg

PXL_20240327_190932220.jpg

I've applied another coat, which I will leave overnight, but I'm extremely pleased with the results thus far.

Funnily enough, I watched their video today, and they applied an initial coat which they left for a few hours and then applied another which they left overnight.

View attachment 20771

View attachment 20772

I've applied another coat, which I will leave overnight, but I'm extremely pleased with the results thus far.
That is wild.. turned out great.
After the 2nd coat it might just turn into Ebony, lol.

Why didn’t you just leave the original coat for 1-2 days?
In their video, they wanted it darker than what they got after 6 hrs so they applied a 2nd coat..

I don’t know about wood finish much but it’s a repetition of stain + sanding, so this might yield better results.

Why didn’t you just leave the original coat for 1-2 days?
Mostly curiosity - the video from Monty's says leave it for at least 5 minutes, even though they later said 24 or 48 hours.

Fundamentally though, when it comes to things like this or a finish, I'm of the opinion that multiple applications works better than a single application.

Reactions: V|J
Mostly curiosity - the video from Monty's says leave it for at least 5 minutes, even though they later said 24 or 48 hours.

Fundamentally though, when it comes to things like this or a finish, I'm of the opinion that multiple applications works better than a single application.
The only drawback is brown fingertips whenever you play (at least at first.)

View attachment 20771

View attachment 20772

How'd the second coat go? Was there much difference vs the first?

Back