NGD: 1973 Gibson Les Paul Custom

TubeStack

Shredder
So, I walked into a cool local shop a few days ago, Folkway Music, killing some time while my daughter had an appointment nearby. This '73 Custom caught my eye immediately, and I knew as soon as I picked it up it was an exceptional Les Paul, wow. Just played so nice and immediately felt and sounded so good. I could not get it out of my head and went back and bought it today!

I am in LOOOOVE. :love :love:love It is a rock and roll machine, good lord. These old T-top pickups are crazy good. Neck pickup is so clear and crisp and the bridge is pure rock'n'roll, just nuts. Has had a refret, nut change, and bridge swap (ABR to Nashville) over the years. Also a good amount of buckle rash and some decent dings, but overall it's in great shape and just oozes pure rock mojo.

It is crazily resonant and responsive and one of best Les Paul I've ever played, bar none. Phat and beefy at 9+ lbs, just shy of 10, but not uncomfortably heavy at all. Sits and hangs really nicely and pretty light as far as Norlin Customs go, so I hear. Just a super inspiring rock and roll machine and again, I am blown away at these T-tops, love them. Neck carve is on the less-chunky side around the lower frets, then thickens nicely as you get up higher. Kind of like an LP/SG hybrid neck, super playable and pretty fast feeling. I can't wait to get it out to band practice this week! :rawk

Here are the pics from Folkway's Insta page:

IMG_5983.jpeg

IMG_5967 Copy.jpeg

IMG_5965 Copy.jpeg

Wow, congrats!!
Definitely has that late 70's patina going on. :love
9+ lbs. is not bad at all. I have a few strats in the 9-9.5 range. :grin

Outstanding, very happy for you! Finding such a mojo laden guitar is always most excellent!

May you love it long time! :chef

Thanks! Yes, it just oozes mojo. Serious squank and stank! :love

Awesome! She's had some play!! :rawk Look at the high e saddle!! Dayum!

Congratulations. (y)

Thanks! Yes, definitely been played + well-loved and feels + looks it. Those tend to feel and sound the best, in my experience, vs the pristine closet queens.

That's insane, TS! Wow. Just wow! :love

Without a doubt a lifetime type of guitar. One you may work a lifetime up to get, and
then a lifetime to keep. :chef

:beer

Thanks, LS! Yeah, I still can't believe I've got it. One of those play-all-day, then sit and stare at it with love guitars, for sure. For me, that's a very small group and this one is immediately a part of it. :love:rawk :love

Wow, congrats!!
Definitely has that late 70's patina going on. :love
9+ lbs. is not bad at all. I have a few strats in the 9-9.5 range. :grin

Thanks! Yes, the 70s patina is very vibey, love it. And the weight suits me fine, if anything it'll make my just-under-9lb R9 seem a bit lighter. :grin

Funky bridge.

Thanks for the news flash. I don't mind it, especially on a Custom where the Nashvilles were later more common, I think? I'm also more a play/feel/sound guy than anal LP forum nerd. And I have my R9 for that 50s ABR thing.

Which funky do you mean?

Funky 1:
Girl Stinks GIF by TLC Europe

Funky 2:
james brown funk GIF

Funky 3:
lucious lyon wtf GIF

I think a bit of all three? :grin

Congrats! May the tone be with you. That just looks like it needs to be in front of a Marshall making all your tone dreams come true.

Thanks and as for the Marshall pull..

100.gif

I LOVE my Electra Dyne, as I've oft repeated around here and elsewhere, but this beast does have me wondering about 2203, greenback 4x12, and old-school pedal setup... :love:clint:headbang

Thanks! Yes, it just oozes mojo. Serious squank and stank! :love

Thanks! Yes, definitely been played + well-loved and feels + looks it. Those tend to feel and sound the best, in my experience, vs the pristine closet queens.

Thanks, LS! Yeah, I still can't believe I've got it. One of those play-all-day, then sit and stare at it with love guitars, for sure. For me, that's a very small group and this one is immediately a part of it. :love:rawk :love

Thanks! Yes, the 70s patina is very vibey, love it. And the weight suits me fine, if anything it'll make my just-under-9lb R9 seem a bit lighter. :grin

Thanks for the news flash. I don't mind it, especially on a Custom where the Nashvilles were later more common, I think? I'm also more a play/feel/sound guy than anal LP forum nerd. And I have my R9 for that 50s ABR thing.

I think a bit of all three? :grin

Thanks and as for the Marshall pull..

100.gif

I LOVE my Electra Dyne, as I've oft repeated around here and elsewhere, but this beast does have me wondering about 2203, greenback 4x12, and old-school pedal setup... :love:clint:headbang
Just cuz you post yer LP here don't spect everyone on the planet to yank yer caulk >

Not that it would shock me but the forum high school circle jerk click bait here is at a new level high.
FWIW the Norlins [had a few] have their share of troubles.

Not that it would shock me but the forum high school circle jerk click bait here is at a new level high.
FWIW the Norlins [had a few] have their share of troubles.
OP is sharing a guitar with us that he's into. Did I miss something?

Back