New Peavey 6505 II and Original 92

BL is pretty much dead silent.
Dare I say the BL is a fantastic mix between digital and physical? I had one for a little bit and while it was fantastic, I was expecting something akin to a traditional Dual Rec (dumb I know, if I want a dual rec, get a dual rec).

Reactions: JT
It’s objective fact that the Balance tone was the best EVH tone ever recorded, next to Live: Right Here Right Now.

:banana :banana :banana :banana
It's VH1 and Fair Warning for me. Those tones are untouchable.

The Hagar era stuff is fun and anything EVH is superb... but Balance et al are nowhere near as raw and aggressive to me. They do not reach out out of the speaker and rip heads off like VH1 did. VH1 was like "Good Lord, WTF is this?"

So, tonewise those early ones are in my archetypes along with some others... Balance, F*, the rest are cool but not iconic to me, personally.

It's VH1 and Fair Warning for me. Those tones are untouchable.

The Hagar era stuff is fun and anything EVH is superb... but Balance et al are nowhere near as raw and aggressive to me. They do not reach out out of the speaker and rip heads off like VH1 did. VH1 was like "Good Lord, WTF is this?"

So, tonewise those early ones are in my archetypes along with some others... Balance, F*, the rest are cool but not iconic to me, personally.

I'd definitely say VH1-era tones are the iconic ones. I just heavily prefer the Balance-era tone. It's also right when I got into VH, which plays a big part of that. And that's really the only distorted/micropitched tone I like. Not a big fan of a chorus sound on any other distorted guitars, can't stand it when Petrucci does it, but it worked with what Ed was doing because he wasn't playin' f*ckin' metal tryin' to sound like Alex Lifeson. :rofl

QjrYvpL.jpg
Got mine (old one). It was a $25 salvage. :rofl
My 2nd iconic Peavey gear score that I got for 25 bucks. The other was my RockMaster preamp. Total basket case. I had to replace every relay in it.

The 6505+ was assumed dead and sold for parts. When I opened it up I immediately saw the problem.

7FM4qAX.jpg

One of the connectors for the ribbon cable that connects the preamp board to the power amp board fried and took out the filament circuit. I pulled the cable, checked the header pins, reflowed the one that got hot then hardwired the boards together with hookup wire and it was good to go. I really like this amp. It's a great sounding rock amp.

Last edited:
As the forum left handed Brit guy (self appointed, fuck you) I'd like to apologize for Nick Bowcott and his left handed Brit Guy thing.

But actually, that sounds fucking sickkkkkkk.

Can't listen rn but can see the demo guy is that fool who did a Catalyst demo. That was the first time I've seen/heard him. Everything he touches sounds like bees.

Saw them in Oslo in 1993 when he was all 5150 and Music Man, it was insanely good. And some dude managed to sneak in a decent camera and film the whole thing too:
One of the best videos from that era you can find on YT. You can really hear how massive his sound was.

GOD DAMN THEY WERE A ROCK MACHINE LIVE!!!!!!!!!

Sammy could deliver some cheese sometimes, but fuck me if he couldn't bring it live.

Back