New Peavey 6505 II and Original 92

5150III or this 6505II any real difference ??
isn't this somewhat of a EVH copy ?
The original Peavey 5150 is more raw sounding than the EVH amsp.
Funny thing the EVH's had been such a huge success for rock/metal, but EVH himself never sounded good with them, his tone was waaaaay better with he Peaveys.

Yeah I think I'll pass. :D

The 5150III needs two channels (and a lower noise floor). It'd be better if it sounded more like the Badlander. :LOL:
So using the GT1000 in 4cm with the 5150III 50 watter; the tonal benefits of using the 5150 preamp were not there. With a OG 5150; I'd stick with 4cm. I like the IIIs and will probably own another at some point but I think I like the IDEA of them (and in the 50 watter case; the form factor and feature set) more than the actual thing.

So using the GT1000 in 4cm with the 5150III 50 watter; the tonal benefits of using the 5150 preamp were not there. With a OG 5150; I'd stick with 4cm. I like the IIIs and will probably own another at some point but I think I like the IDEA of them (and in the 50 watter case; the form factor and feature set) more than the actual thing.
They're just too goddamned noisy for me, and the third channel is useless. I'd love a green/blue/blue, or green/blue, and a fucking silent amp. I guess I'm too used to Boogies not being a hissy mess.

They're just too goddamned noisy for me, and the third channel is useless. I'd love a green/blue/blue, or green/blue, and a f*****g silent amp. I guess I'm too used to Boogies not being a hissy mess.

Pretty much my experience with the 5153 Stealth. Noisey, loud AF, and a completely unusable red channel. I was surprised how good the clean channel was on it, and the Blue channel is awesome, but the amp is, generally speaking, rough around the edges.

I have heard though that a simple tube swap in the last gain stage fixes the red channels excessive compression and over saturation.

They're just too goddamned noisy for me, and the third channel is useless. I'd love a green/blue/blue, or green/blue, and a f*****g silent amp. I guess I'm too used to Boogies not being a hissy mess.
BL is pretty much dead silent. The JP was noisy af. Especially for how much $. The 5150iiis I have had have been in between the two I'd say. One HUGE thing about amps that has always struck when trying them pre-BL is the avalanche of noise; no matter what I tried. The Synergy was TERRIBLE as well. BL has cured that.

BL is pretty much dead silent. The JP was noisy af. Especially for how much $. The 5150iiis I have had have been in between the two I'd say. One HUGE thing about amps that has always struck when trying them pre-BL is the avalanche of noise; no matter what I tried. The Synergy was TERRIBLE as well. BL has cured that.
The newer designs are the quietest, IME. The Fillmores are silent too. Granted, that's a lower gain amp, but still. The TC's aren't noisy either.

Yes and Balance has an amazing tone, my very close 2nd favorite EVH tone after Fair Warning
Saw them in Oslo in 1993 when he was all 5150 and Music Man, it was insanely good. And some dude managed to sneak in a decent camera and film the whole thing too:
One of the best videos from that era you can find on YT. You can really hear how massive his sound was.

He only had a prototype for F.U.C.K, that album is mostly SLO and CAE 3+, but Balance is almost all 5150.
Yes I recall reading this a long time ago I remember Mike saying that Ed used the Soldano on 99% of FUCK
and live as well but Mike was pissed about EVH hiding the Soldano SLO 100

Yes I recall reading this a long time ago I remember Mike saying that Ed used the Soldano on 99% of f**k
and live as well but Mike was pissed about EVH hiding the Soldano SLO 100
Yeah he was using the SLO until the 5150 was out of prototyping. I think the only videos you can actually see him using a SLO are those Cabo Wabo videos from 1990. Pretty cool, too bad the quality isn't better.

Back