New Metallica for everyone to hate on!

Megadeth's latest 2022 album "The Sick, The Dying ...And The Dead" is masterpiece compared to this, proper crushing thrash with killer riffs, licks, harmony, melody, and inspiring leads.

Just why Metallica WHY?

Don't know. I find Megadeth albums of the last 20+ years quite boring and uninspiring.

Honestly the last time they put out a great record was 1992.

I somehow prefer criptic writings or risk to the 2000 releases. At least they are different.

There's this phenomenon I really don't understand and I'm sure happens happens for other band too.

Why on earth people still complain about metallica not doing a thrash metal record in 2023?

I mean they stopped being a thrash metal band 32 years ago with the black album, they've recorded other 5 non thrash metal albums after that and there are still people waiting for a new master of puppets or a return to thrash metal?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's this phenomenon I really don't understand and I'm sure happens happens for other band too.

Why on earth people still complain about metallica not doing a thrash metal record in 2023?

I mean they stopped being a thrash metal band 32 years ago with the black album, they've recorded other 5 non thrash metal albums after that and there are still people waiting for a new master of puppets or a return to thrash metal?

Indeed. They were a trash metal band for what, 5-6 years? (I don’t really consider MoP or AJFA thrash metal but whatever) They’ve been Metallica as we know them now for over 30 years. :rofl

Don't know. I find Megadeth albums of the last 20+ years quite boring and uninspiring.

Honestly the last time they put out a great record was 1992.

I somehow prefer criptic writings or risk to the 2000 releases. At least they are different.
Disagree. Aside from Super Collider and TSTDATD, I quite enjoy everything else post Risk.

I still haven’t had the chance to consume the whole album yet, but I threw on ”Lux Eternal” on my way home from work, cranked the sh*t out of my stereo and was immediately reminded that metal music is 100x better when played loud. If the kick drums aren’t thumping your chest, it’s not loud enough. That sh*t is pretty f*cking rockin’, man.

And man, that chorus ain’t an easy one to sing. James is getting up there in pitch and he sounds f*cking stellar doing so.

I still haven’t had the chance to consume the whole album yet, but I threw on ”Lux Eternal” on my way home from work, cranked the sh*t out of my stereo and was immediately reminded that metal music is 100x better when played loud. If the kick drums aren’t thumping your chest, it’s not loud enough. That sh*t is pretty f*cking rockin’, man.

And man, that chorus ain’t an easy one to sing. James is getting up there in pitch and he sounds f*cking stellar doing so.

I agree all around. Especially with the vocals thing. I guarantee he finally got himself a vocal coach and understands technique now. I didnt bother til I was almost 50 and I gained almost 2 full octaves from 6 months of training.

If Metallica made a conscious decision to move away from some of the Proggier elements
that (for me) made them a more interesting and compelling listen, then I see no reason why
they couldn't make a conscious decision to also move back towards some of those elements.

Some of those Aeolian and Phyrgian leanings in their writing made them more diverse.

The lack of diversity in their writing and direction is what is at issue for me, more than them
being a "Thrash" band again.

It won't happen.... obviously. But they were a better band when they did. :idk

Inamorata is a good listen. 11 minutes. It verges into Orion territory briefly, and then stops at the 101 level. :LOL:

Also liking Chasing Light. There are some cool moments.

I don’t know. I wanted to love it but for me the songs just weren’t exciting enough. I don’t care about all the - is It thrash, or metal or whatever you want to label it, but I do care about good memborable songs that get you excited when they take an unexpected turn or kick into a great chorus or bridge. I’m just not hearing that but then I‘ve only been through it twice so who knows. I felt the same way about the new Megadeth. I just don’t think it was very good, although I thought Dystopia was amazing.
With that said, I get excited every time one of these bands puts out something new. Can’t wait to hear what Anthrax comes up with.

So you're saying there's a chance!? :banana

I agree all around. Especially with the vocals thing. I guarantee he finally got himself a vocal coach and understands technique now. I didnt bother til I was almost 50 and I gained almost 2 full octaves from 6 months of training.

He started way back around The Black Album-

I’ve always found him to be a really great singer and while I love the older, barking trash stuff, he’s got a great sounding voice as a singer that I’ve always dug. There’s great vocals all over the place from 90-on; Black Album has some harmonies that are f*ckin’ up there and there’s awesome vocal sh*t all over the Load album that I think got heavily overshadowed by people who didn’t want to hear him display his range or sustain notes. “Outlaw Torn”, “Bleeding Me”, even “Mama Said” are all killer vocal songs with a ton of range and dynamics.

I was more impressed the dude was writing a chorus that demanding at f*cking 60 years old, that’s badass!!

If Metallica made a conscious decision to move away from some of the Proggier elements
that (for me) made them a more interesting and compelling listen, then I see no reason why
they couldn't make a conscious decision to also move back towards some of those elements.

Some of those Aeolian and Phyrgian leanings in their writing made them more diverse.

The lack of diversity in their writing and direction is what is at issue for me, more than them
being a "Thrash" band again.

It won't happen.... obviously. But they were a better band when they did. :idk

I totally agree.

I still appreciate some of their work mainly because I don't care about them being thrash or whatever. What I always liked, and still do, is James voice and the overall attitude and sound of the band.

Speaking about diversity....Lars drumming in this record is really monochromatic. :hmm

Back