" New IR Tech that sounds like an Amp " ...... what's the thinking on this ?

Commenting as I'm watching. They're starting to get into the actual explanation of what an XR IR is, and they're talking about non-linearities in IRs right off the bat. :rofl

Okay they didn't explain anything.. Just starting to compare after throwing out some buzz words and throwing out that nonsensical blurb about boosting an IR and it falling apart...

Skipped ahead to the XR IR Pack Rundown. I'm not surprised that they used their "enhanced" IRs in their "VS" sections with other modelers. I've done my fair share of "enhancing" my own IRs and I'm getting the feeling that this is really what they're trying to push. I'm sure those "harmonic elements" are just the EQ and phase shifts caused by whatever "enhancing" they're doing.

Call with Chris Greely, his response is all cut up when he's describing his experience with their tone matched IRs. He sounds like he wasn't really into them.

Not gonna watch this whole thing. I'm pretty sure they're not going to reveal any details about what they did to "enhance" anything but it all sounds like a big does of snake oil to me.

“advanced IR’s” over “advanced poweramp->cab impedance modelling” is a massive red flag.

Get the poweramp behaviours right and offer users different interaction behaviours and there is little to no need for dynamic IR’s.

“advanced IR’s” over “advanced poweramp->cab impedance modelling” is a massive red flag.

Get the poweramp behaviours right and offer users different interaction behaviours and there is little to no need for dynamic IR’s.
ML Sound Lab MIKKO even lets you bake impedance curves into the IR itself. While it's not dynamic, it still works pretty well.

There must be a reason why none of the modeler hardware makers is concerned with "dynamic IRs" whereas these sort of claims seem to be more common in cab-sim only products.

ML Sound Lab MIKKO even lets you bake impedance curves into the IR itself. While it's not dynamic, it still works pretty well.
I think the issue with this is its only useful for inputs that have no poweramp->cabinet interactions already. For most people, its just going to stack another impedance curve on top of something that already has some kind of poweramp interaction on it already. Different amps are going to behave differently to different impedance curves too, so having the behaviour of one particular impedance interaction is probably going to be wrong for most amps.

Because its such a 2 way interaction, its really best when its one entire system handling the modelling rather than splitting things off into individual components that cant react back.

Daniel Radcliffe Bullshit GIF by Oregon Trail

I saw the same video and decided to try the 2x12 AC30 Greenback cab, which is the closest thing to a 4x12 Greenback cab that I would normally prefer. The video is entertaining, but it's clearly marketing. I appreciate that they spent a lot of time making some comparisons and talking about things, but I wish they spent more time talking about meaningful stuff instead of making faces at the camera.

But the IR's seem pretty good actually. There's a midrange presence that really makes the guitar stand out nicely that I don't hear from most IR's. It's almost like how MBritt tones stand out in the midrange, except shifted up so it cuts more and is less dark. Generally the pack seems to avoid harshness, even with the really bright center mics. The mixes are all kind of dark sounding though, so you'd need to tweak the amp model more to use them.

The AC30 Greenback sounds like you'd expect...it's not as versatile as they are showing with high gain amps (you can tell the open back 2x12 cab doesn't have the tightness in the low end you want), but it's good overall. I think for the target audience of the P&W group it's probably perfect. It has a really good midrange that cuts through, doesn't have the harshness in the high end, not boomy in the low end (as expected with this cab).

Criticisms, the mix blend idea between mics is a cool concept but there's not much difference between them. Going from 57 to 121 is a very minor change in tonality, not a big shift from bright to dark. That's different than the Boss GT-1000 where there are three blends of 57 and 121 and it's a much bigger change. Also, I don't hear a big difference between the three different single mic options, may be better to just go with one for simplicity. And the file names are really long so I had to rename them to use on my Axe FX 3 (HX Stomp is even worse).

I'd be really interested to hear their take on a 4x12 with Greenbacks or V30's (especially something like a well worn Recto cab). I don't think I'd buy any of their current cabs but this particular one would do anything on the clean-overdrive spectrum well. Again, perfect for the P&W crowd.

Back