Anyone Hear Weezer's Covers?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
So I'm at work listening to Pandora, and I hear Take On Me, and I'm like, wait a minute..., that's not the original. But it sure sounds awfully close.

Then later on, I hear another cover, same thing- really close to the original version.

Now I'm thinking, How does a band get to have a cover of a very popular song, 20 some-odd years later, and get away with not making it their own? What's the point, if it sounds the same?

The next time one comes on, I check my phone, only to see that it's Weezer, for all of them!

What, been there, done that, now it's time to do an album of covers? Just seems kinda lame. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C'mon Rivers, you write great songs. Wtf?

If we're being charitable; time stopped at the Green album. If we ignore Hash Pipe and pretend it's a bit better than it is as a whole.

I believe it's easier to obtain a "performance copyright" license, which does not allow changes to the lyrics or arrangement as opposed to a derivative work license which would be required for "making it their own".

I believe it's easier to obtain a "performance copyright" license, which does not allow changes to the lyrics or arrangement as opposed to a derivative work license which would be required for "making it their own".
I'm not talking about changing the lyrics or arrangement.

Like what Elton John did with Pinball Wizard, e.g. (Maybe a little change to the arrangement...)

Oops, apparently this has been out for 5 years! Haha.

I only recently heard the songs on Pandora. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Blue album is one of the best albums of the 90’s. It’s hard to believe a band that could write that album would eat shit so hard from there. (Pinkterton has some cool ideas but seemed to be half assed)

Back