New Fat Jimmy reproduction Greenbacks

first of all, PCB Fender RIs can be exceptionally bright

For sure!

I've been thinking about that since my last post, and I know that your Jimmy Jr amp has a different components than my PRRI as well as circuit variations and tweaks for that vintage sound. I agree that the PRRI is bright - certainly my one anyway. Can't really take the treble control above 5, and yet I see much higher treble settings all the time on vintage Princeton Reverbs, so that confirms that mine must be brighter than others.

I've had my eye on a Jimmy Jr for some time 🙂

Last edited:
That said, I personally think the C1025 is a PERFECT match for a PR. It just WORKS in every way you can imagine. The cleans are big and bold and beautiful, the lows are punchy and the highs are sweet and round. And when you really push the amp... man that speaker sounds SWEET. It's like they were made for each other lol. That was not the intention, but it's the end result!

Was the C1025 originally intended for a Vibrolux?

@EOengineer

Update - I tried the C1270 again. I fully like it now!

I'm running the Princeton Reverb a little hotter than I was last time (with an Ironman II) and that's probably helping to add a little more compression and give to the higher frequencies, along with pickups that are more even in terms of BMT - less glassy. Speaker is more broken in now too.

C1270 in a 1x12 extension cab sounds bigger and more muscular (suprise!). Bold.

C1025 has a touch more sparkle, especially in position 2 on a strat. There's just something about the C1025 that is well balanced and works perfectly with the Princeton to my ears. This is probably a personal taste thing.

It's hard for me to verbalise why, but I still prefer the 10-inch in the Princeton, but I could be happy with either. I'll probably play around with them more in future, but for now I have "my sound".

Having said that... I would love a Vibrolux 2x10 with the C1025s 🤤
What about a 10/12 cab? Best of both worlds?

This is honestly part of why I like staying in modeler land. Once you decouple the speaker from "the amp" you have a lot more options with mis-matched speaker sensitivities, etc , that just wouldn't work well with tube amps

What about a 10/12 cab? Best of both worlds?

Honestly, I love the idea. But because I play at moderate volumes I need to manage my power output and at least get a speaker past that power "hump" where they don't work so well. It was less of a problem when I was living in a forest with no neighbours though!

I will aspire to this 10/12 arrangement and move again some day. Gotta have some life goals :LOL:

I'd be forced to sit on the Couch and watch stupid Rom-Coms over and over.
Doing It WrongTM :cop
The C1270 is glorious in a real blackface or silverface Deluxe Reverb. It's tight and punchy in the lows, detailed in the mids, and smooth in the top. It's a very 'natural' speaker... meaning it gives you exactly what you put into it. I actually listen to music in my shop through a C1270 most of the time lol... I burn in a new amp (while building the next) by playing 'high production' classic rock... Floyd, Yes, Zeppelin, Beatles, etc. If it doesn't sound like a killer home stereo (giving me the full spectrum of tonality inherent in these recordings... from the deepest Moog to the most subtle hi-hat clip) I know something isn't right lol. Point is this speaker will give you what you give it. And it's great in a DR.
Tough call lol... what amp and what speaker size/quantity?
Couple of 50 and 90 watt Boogies. Single 112. I read your description of the 1270 (playing program material through it) and the lets run IRs through it freak in me was doing some contemplation :bag It's a long story but again, welcome!

Honestly, I love the idea. But because I play at moderate volumes I need to manage my power output and at least get a speaker past that power "hump" where they don't work so well. It was less of a problem when I was living in a forest with no neighbours though!

I will aspire to this 10/12 arrangement and move again some day. Gotta have some life goals :LOL:
I have a one off custom build that's a 1x10 + 1x12 combo (C1025/C1270). Sounds really, really, really good... the slide guitarist who plays quite a bit with Robbie Krieger and used to tour with Duane Bettes has it now. We just tweaked it for higher gain for slide!!

Was the C1025 originally intended for a Vibrolux?
No, when it was made the goal was to just to pair incredibly well with vintage Fenders in general. (I also own and operate VintageFenderAmpRepair.com, and have been working almost exclusively with hand wired vintage Fender amps for almost 20 years now). It just happened to be, imo, the PERFECT 10" speaker for a PR. It also pairs really, really well with any vintage Fender 10" application... Vibrolux Reverb, Super Reverb... Concerts (black and brown)... all brown amps with 10"s... and yes, even tweed 10"s like the Bassman, Super, Vibrolux etc etc.

Doing It WrongTM :cop

Couple of 50 and 90 watt Boogies. Single 112. I read your description of the 1270 (playing program material through it) and the lets run IRs through it freak in me was doing some contemplation :bag It's a long story but again, welcome!
Thanks for the welcome! I know Boogies typically have that 'bright' thing going on too lol... that said the C1270 is not a bright nor a dark speaker, but really does well delivering what you put into it. It takes pedals and high gain circuits very well. It would likely be quite good in your 50w application, but I would not suggest it in a 90w 1x12 application, as that's more power than it's rated to handle. The names of my speakers are basically parts codes... C (ceramic), 12 (diameter), 70 (watts rating). Then I'll add 'extras' when further definition is needed... ie UK, GB etc...

For the record... 10" Greenbacks are now in production and kicking ass!!!

Timely!

I was just thinking about acquiring a 10" Greenback from that other British company; but I've had one of theirs before and it's always exciting to try other offerings 🙂

Timely!

I was just thinking about acquiring a 10" Greenback from that other British company; but I've had one of theirs before and it's always exciting to try other offerings 🙂
Here's a recent 'review' by a customer who has tried EVERY 10" GB on the market and was just never happy with 'em:

"So I now have to swap my 10s in and out of a single cab. The problem is that both the A1025s and the C1025GBs are so amazing that once one pair is loaded up, it's really hard to bring myself to unload them to use the others!

I've been using the GB's for the last few days, and they sound incredible with all of my amps......both British and American. They sound amazing with my Chimey Limey 30 and my JTM45s, but they also sound equally amazing with my various Fender-style Fat Jimmy amps.

Mike P. mentioned earlier that he'd be interested in trying them with a Super Reverb. I was skeptical, but I paired them with my Headstrong King Reverb Head, and I was totally blown away by how good it sounded. I wasn't even thinking about trying that combination until Mike mentioned that. So these are some seriously versatile 10s that'll sound amazing in pretty much any application!!! Really impressive!

So the C1025GBs have most definitely blown way past my expectations! I didn't know a 10" Greenback could sound this good!"

... "So the C1025GBs have most definitely blown way past my expectations! I didn't know a 10" Greenback could sound this good!"

I'm a Fat Jimmy speaker fan and also a 10" speaker fan who's looking for a Greenback: This sounds just perfect for me 😍

I’ve been eyeing Fat Jimmy speakers for a while now. I’ve got a 76 Vibrolux Reverb and I’ve been debating between the C1025 and C1060. I also like to use a Big Muff with my Vibrolux as well as other dirt pedals. Currently has Weber 10C150Ts which are very good, but definitely curious about FJ offerings.

I’ve been eyeing Fat Jimmy speakers for a while now. I’ve got a 76 Vibrolux Reverb and I’ve been debating between the C1025 and C1060. I also like to use a Big Muff with my Vibrolux as well as other dirt pedals. Currently has Weber 10C150Ts which are very good, but definitely curious about FJ offerings.
It really depends on what you're going for. If you want very lightweight and a good overall match for the amp, a pair of C1025s is great in there. If you want louder and more headroom, a pair of C1060s is the way to go. My favorite in a VR though... one of each! They compliment each other incredibly well and create a sense of depth beyond what you get from a single speaker type (which is already impressive)!

It really depends on what you're going for. If you want very lightweight and a good overall match for the amp, a pair of C1025s is great in there. If you want louder and more headroom, a pair of C1060s is the way to go. My favorite in a VR though... one of each! They compliment each other incredibly well and create a sense of depth beyond what you get from a single speaker type (which is already impressive)!
Yeah I’ve thought about the combo too. Might have to try it for a best of both worlds type thing. It’ll probably be after the new year before I buy but I’m thinking about all these things. And thanks for responding, Mike!

Just wanted to let people know that the new Greenback line has been enthusiastically embraced by incredibly discerning (and very picky) musicians lol! We have been actively expanding our models. The 10" models may be the best British voiced 10"s available on the market today. And due to popular demand, we just finalized an AlNiCo version that sounds incredible! That AlNiCo chime and warmth brings the Greenback model to a whole new level and really expands the range sonically. Here's what we now offer in the Greenback line.
C1225GB
C1265GB
C1025GB
C1065GB
A1225GB
A1265GB
A1025GB
A1065GB

Back