New Amps Week- Shiva and 5153 Edition!

Congrats on the new amp! Those Bogners are all a bit weird where you do really have to turn the treble and maybe presence knobs real high or else it's too smooth and polite.

I think they also work best with brighter voiced speakers.

For sure. As soon as I ‘discovered’ the Presence knob yesterday and started seeing how it works with the Treble knob I immediately got reminded of Yek’s amp guide and the notes about Bogners being ”dark” in general. Once you pass 3-clock there’s PLENTY of top end on tap.

I didn’t realize this until 10 minutes ago when looking over Marketplace again, but I mentioned this white Electra Dyne last week, the same dude is selling it. Had I known that yesterday I might have asked to try them both out. This dude has flipped a TON of gear for dirt cheap, seems to have a penchant for Bassmans, he’s got a minty ‘68 head/cab right now for $1200 as well, but that’s going in the opposite direction of what I’m looking for.

IMG_5326.png

I didn’t look too hard at what the ED’s are going for, but I’d have to imagine that a white alligator skin fetches more than $1200.

For sure. As soon as I ‘discovered’ the Presence knob yesterday and started seeing how it works with the Treble knob I immediately got reminded of Yek’s amp guide and the notes about Bogners being ”dark” in general. Once you pass 3-clock there’s PLENTY of top end on tap.
Yeah that's why I'd go with brighter speakers. I really liked the Goldfinger 45 with the Goldfinger 2x12 G12M+G12H cab - the G12H adds the much needed top end. Someone was selling the cab used for a reasonable price recently and I was very tempted to pick it up, but sanity won and someone else bought it.

I didn’t realize this until 10 minutes ago when looking over Marketplace again, but I mentioned this white Electra Dyne last week, the same dude is selling it. Had I known that yesterday I might have asked to try them both out. This dude has flipped a TON of gear for dirt cheap, seems to have a penchant for Bassmans, he’s got a minty ‘68 head/cab right now for $1200 as well, but that’s going in the opposite direction of what I’m looking for.

View attachment 15923

I didn’t look too hard at what the ED’s are going for, but I’d have to imagine that a white alligator skin fetches more than $1200.
Holy fuck that looks :chef @TubeStack

Last edited:
That's foooking amazing, Drew! Congrats. Killer amp. Insane deal. That clean channel
with a Strat is :chef

Happy for ya!! :banana

I bet that will serve it's purpose as a useful power amp for the FM9, too. :love

Congrats on the new amp! Those Bogners are all a bit weird where you do really have to turn the treble and maybe presence knobs real high or else it's too smooth and polite.

I think they also work best with brighter voiced speakers.

This man knows what he is talking about. :beer

They are THICK... maybe a bit Friedman-esque, dare I say. :LOL:

View attachment 15923

That's an interesting aesthetic. :LOL:

I am not shocked the same guy owns an ED. I think of the ED was Mesa's attempt to do a Bogner-style amp.
It's thick in the Overdrive and Fat in the cleans, just like a Shiva. The amps are scarily similar.

That's an interesting aesthetic. :LOL:

I am not shocked the same guy owns an ED. I think of the ED was Mesa's attempt to do a Bogner-style amp.
It's thick in the Overdrive and Fat in the cleans, just like a Shiva. The amps are scarily similar.

He’s a major flipper, one of the bigger marketplace histories I’ve seen. Said he’s gigging a Lonestar now. Probably would have done me good to hear both amps but I’m not upset with the Shiva purchase by any means. I keep looking over and thinkin, “I have a fuckin’ Bogner now!” :ROFLMAO:

And yeah, there’s some certain crossover with Bogner/Friedman and the dark Marshall thing. The lack of clang, it could probably be called.

Man, I just spent the last few hours getting 4CM setup with the FM9. I dunno WTF happened in that first hour, but it resulted in me pulling every 1/4” cable I had around the house and testing it to see if it was dead or not. I was curious if I’d get any ground hum, there’s a little extra noise but no more than I’d anticipate if I had pedals and other gear in the loop. Hahaha one of the cables for the effects loop was wrapped around the power strip numerous times and it made no difference.

WOW.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Obviously I’ve been using Fractal stuff for a while and am aware of the quality, but very little with an actual amp. For some reason I didn’t think the integration would be as easy but I was wrong about that. Some of the blocks were just saved blocks from my other presets using the amp block, no tweaking necessary, just load ‘em up. That amp sounds so damn good, the FM9 sounds so damn good, both the Gilmour Strat and Orville sound like they were made for that amp, I was equally lost in gratitude as much as I was tones.

Still gotta try using it as a power section for the amps in the FM9, though I don’t think that’s going to be much of an issue. Doesn’t matter much, I’m still going to buy a high gain head.

Hahahahahah and the heat and the smell!!! My apartment stays at 55% humidity very consistently, when I had that amp on for about 3 hours the humidity jumped to 65% when it was 75 degrees in here! That’s nuts! I usually have to have the AC off for about 2 hours on a hot/rainy day for that to happen. I think the headshell took on moisture in the guy’s storage unit. Not to a detriment, but after about an hour that head smells like it’s been steam cleaned :roflMy whole apartment smells like it.

Hahahahah what’s your issue with 4CM? :rofl

You got a problem with wah pedals and pristine delays and reverbs?!?!
Probably not enough empty blocks on the FM3 and an xlr to 1/4 cable on hand... :ROFLMAO:

You actually need to wire up all those Loverpedal thingamigs up front and put that FAS in the loop :love

Back