Neural DSP - Cortex Control beta, CorOS 2.2 released

This biggest thing you’re going to sacrifice (Beyond just having a significantly smaller pool of amps to choose from) is effects imo. The QC delays and verbs are really not in the same league as the Fractal stuff.

From an ease of use perspective though, the QC is kind of unrivaled.

Usability and the deep editing. Some of those algorythms/parameters I'll never see or attempt to adjust. Just flat out time consuming IMO.
Not judging the FM models for being bad...they are outstanding, no doubt. But as I look at the UI on the QC and similarly the TMP,
I think this is useable !!! And the size is right too. Pull it up on the screen, dial it in and hit SAVE...DONE ! Maybe I'm asking for too much..
Nah. Everybody's priorities are different. I'm kind of a UI geek so I can relate. I've designed software and UI's (on and off) for a living most of my life, so when things are unnecessarily complicated, I get annoyed. Which is not conducive to creativity.

That said, complexity in a UI sometimes reflects power in the underlying system, as is at least partly true with Fractal. If you're cool with the fact that the TMP and QC offer fewer options, then all's well. But you still have to determine what you're trying to improve over your Helix LT experience. If it's strictly a matter of getting better tones... this is very subjective.

Usability and the deep editing. Some of those algorythms/parameters I'll never see or attempt to adjust. Just flat out time consuming IMO.
Not judging the FM models for being bad...they are outstanding, no doubt. But as I look at the UI on the QC and similarly the TMP,
I think this is useable !!! And the size is right too. Pull it up on the screen, dial it in and hit SAVE...DONE ! Maybe I'm asking for too much..

Two sides to that coin: Yes, creating presets from scratch and tweaking them on the device will be muuuuuuuch easier with Quad Cortex than an FM3. Once that preset and scenes are created, tho, I feel like getting to the tone in your head and especially the effects you'd typically want in a P&W set is muuuuuuuuuuuch easier with the sounds in FM3.

I mean, have you tried Worship Tutorials' presets for the Fractal family of products? Can't get more plug and play than that, and they have freebies with scenes galore.

I've heard this quite a bit.

Probably the weakest part of the platform at this point tbh. They’d be really well served to focus on effects after they land the plane on the plugins.

Crash Plane GIF

@mbenigni Question...concerning the QC, is it safe to buy a nice used unit or buy new out of the gate.

I'm guessing warranty is NOT transferable and will the new owner be able to register for upcoming offers & updates ?

@mbenigni Question...concerning the QC, is it safe to buy a nice used unit or buy new out of the gate.

I'm guessing warranty is NOT transferable and will the new owner be able to register for upcoming offers & updates ?
Warranty is technically not transferrable but they have been fixing used units afaik.

However, note that they could end that at any moment. I'd just buy new tbh. Save yourself the headache. I wouldn't use the works "unbreakable" to describe the QC

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with @Mongillo19. Unless you can find a used unit at a seriously reduced price, it's safer going new.

On top of what @Mongillo19 has already written about warranty policy, user experience seems to vary quite a bit in terms of reliability and defects. If this implies that NDSP has made hardware revisions, then I'd want to improve my odds of receiving the latest and greatest.

But even more importantly: Sweetwater (still the only vendor in the US as far as I know?) will give you a 30 day return window - crucial for determining whether the QC is right for you. I don't think many individual resellers would agree to that. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with @Mongillo19. Unless you can find a used unit at a seriously reduced price, it's safer going new.

On top of what @Mongillo19 has already written about warranty policy, user experience seems to vary quite a bit in terms of reliability and defects. If this implies that NDSP has made hardware revisions, then I'd want to improve my odds of receiving the latest and greatest.

But even more importantly: Sweetwater (still the only vendor in the US as far as I know?) will give you a 30 day return window - crucial for determining whether the QC is right for you. I don't think many individual resellers would agree to that. :D
Or be like Tim and wait for the dual cortex in 2024

Back