Neural DSP - Cortex Control beta, CorOS 2.2 released

I think Neural has made some good progress with the last few updates. I’d say it’s in a better place now than it was before. We still don’t have everything they promised at launch but it’s gotten a lot closer.
That's what I was hoping to hear...

So, how is the CorOS 2.2 ? Does this put the QC in a better place ? Quad owners ??
I believe version 2.2 primarily added support for the editor, and the minor revisions since have been bug fixes... so not much change? But the jump from 1.x to 2.0 (IIRC; I'd have to look at release notes to see what changed and when) added a lot of QoL improvements, improved discoverability (tagged and searchable captures), etc. etc. etc.

All depends on when you last used QC (if ever), and what you thought needed improving. Most QC owners were pretty satisfied pre-2.2; otherwise (I would hope) they'd be former owners. :)

I believe version 2.2 primarily added support for the editor, and the minor revisions since have been bug fixes... so not much change? But the jump from 1.x to 2.0 (IIRC; I'd have to look at release notes to see what changed and when) added a lot of QoL improvements, improved discoverability (tagged and searchable captures), etc. etc. etc.

All depends on when you last used QC (if ever), and what you thought needed improving. Most QC owners were pretty satisfied pre-2.2; otherwise (I would hope) they'd be former owners. :)
Sounds like you don't like the QC....at all.

Not sure whether you're being sarcastic or not, or how you'd get that impression either way. I try to be objective about the pros and cons of the QC itself, and separate from that, the behavior of NDSP over the past few years.

As it happens, I love my QC; it's probably my favorite musical equipment purchase to date. But it's not without its weaknesses, certainly. And NDSP... well, NDSP...

Last edited:

Rebecca Wisocky Ghosts GIF by CBS

Not sure whether you're being sarcastic or not, or how you'd get that impression either way. I try to be objective about the pros and cons of the QC itself, and separate from that, the behavior of NDSP over the past few years.

As it happens, I love my QC; it's probably my favorite piece of musical equipment of all time. But it's not without its weaknesses, certainly. And NDSP... well, NDSP...
Oh, no sarcasm whatsoever. Actually, I've never owned a QC but I am considering buying one. I'm still learning about it.

Apologies if I came across in a negative way. I'm leaning more towards the QC than I am the TMP.....

Oh, no sarcasm whatsoever. Actually, I've never owned a QC but I am considering buying one. I'm still learning about it.

Apologies if I came across in a negative way. I'm leaning more towards the QC than I am the TMP.....

Overall around here, the QC and anything NDSP does gets heaping doses of skepticism - most of it well-earned. But in this subforum, at least, I feel like the treatment is tough, but fair, and it's not devoid of outright supporters like @mbenigni...

No worries about coming across negative. I was just confused because I'm the token QC-lover around here. :D I think the thing sounds great, I/O is extensive, the UI is a breeze, and it's tiny compared with anything similarly capable. Better as a desktop unit than a floor processor IMO, but maybe the release of Cortex Control (the PC editor) has changed that.

As to whether to consider buying one... what's your baseline, meaning what are you using right now, and what have you used in the past? This will help inform whether the QC strengths and weaknesses will appeal to you or annoy you, respectively.

Of course there's always the "order one, kick the tires, send it back if you're not thrilled" advice. There's no substitute for hands-on time in a familiar space.

No worries about coming across negative. I was just confused because I'm the token QC-lover around here. :D I think the thing sounds great, I/O is extensive, the UI is a breeze, and it's tiny compared with anything similarly capable. Better as a desktop unit than a floor processor IMO, but maybe the release of Cortex Control (the PC editor) has changed that.

As to whether to consider buying one... what's your baseline, meaning what are you using right now, and what have you used in the past? This will help inform whether the QC strengths and weaknesses will appeal to you or annoy you, respectively.

Of course there's always the "order one, kick the tires, send it back if you're not thrilled" advice. There's no substitute for hands-on time in a familiar space.
Well currently I have a Helix LT. I HAVE had HX Stomp, Stomp XL, PodGo and I have an FM3 up for sale. As a "little" light weight backup, I have

wait for it...don't laugh...a Tech 21 Sansamp 5 V2 (it's suprisingly good for what it is) in a pinch, it'll get you through !

But as I watch videos on the QC, I'm like "what's the problem ?" I like everything about the QC ! Is the LT overkill for what I need ? Yep

Would the QC be overkill for what I need ? Probably so... but then so many (as it seems) of the QC presets sound so good.

Stage (on Sundays) and at home.

I'll say from my stint with the QC, it was just ok when it came to the P&W sounds I typically roll with. The ambient reverbs and delays - at the time - were either too subtle or washed out with not enough dry signal when you made them really big. I'd suggest you start by considering a used FC-6 to really build out the capabilities of your FM3 you already have in hand. There's one for sale for just $300 on the Fractal forum now.

Well currently I have a Helix LT. I HAVE had HX Stomp, Stomp XL, PodGo and I have an FM3 up for sale. As a "little" light weight backup, I have

wait for it...don't laugh...a Tech 21 Sansamp 5 V2 (it's suprisingly good for what it is) in a pinch, it'll get you through !

But as I watch videos on the QC, I'm like "what's the problem ?" I like everything about the QC ! Is the LT overkill for what I need ? Yep

Would the QC be overkill for what I need ? Probably so... but then so many (as it seems) of the QC presets sound so good.
Yeah, you always want to be clear as to what problem it is you're trying to solve. The LT is a really great value proposition IMO. For stage applications without breaking the bank, I don't think you can do much better. I prefer the sound of the amp modeling, captures, and speaker sims in the QC, and I personally wanted something smaller since whatever I own winds up on a desk more often than not.

But... the HX line has a much wider variety of effects, and the LT's form factor is probably more practical on stage. (A lot of people complain about the footswitch spacing on the QC.)

The FM9 is another contender at a similar price point, with scribble strips and stage-friendly switch spacing, tons of amp models and high quality effects... The only arguable downside (I'm told; I've never used one) is usability. EDIT: Oops I just noticed you're selling an FM3. Follow up question: why?

Yeah, you always want to be clear as to what problem it is you're trying to solve. The LT is a really great value proposition IMO. For stage applications without breaking the bank, I don't think you can do much better. I prefer the sound of the amp modeling, captures, and speaker sims in the QC, and I personally wanted something smaller since whatever I own winds up on a desk more often than not.

But... the HX line has a much wider variety of effects, and the LT's form factor is probably more practical on stage. (A lot of people complain about the footswitch spacing on the QC.)

The FM9 is another contender at a similar price point, with scribble strips and stage-friendly switch spacing, tons of amp models and high quality effects... The only arguable downside (I'm told; I've never used one) is usability. EDIT: Oops I just noticed you're selling an FM3. Follow up question: why?
Usability and the deep editing. Some of those algorythms/parameters I'll never see or attempt to adjust. Just flat out time consuming IMO.
Not judging the FM models for being bad...they are outstanding, no doubt. But as I look at the UI on the QC and similarly the TMP,
I think this is useable !!! And the size is right too. Pull it up on the screen, dial it in and hit SAVE...DONE ! Maybe I'm asking for too much..

Back