NBRD: This was too easy...

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Never had a full-on bass rig before, so when the need arose, I went to my good friend Pete Reid from Abominog and Tranquil Terror. Not only have Pete and I been friends for close to 35 years, he's been playing bass that entire time. So, no brainer to get his advice.

He told me to go find a Gallien-Kruger 700rb, a Hartke 410 and a GK 115. In researching, I figured I was going to have to spend between $1-2k, which would essentially wipe out my entire music budget and then some, but the show must go on.

After about .3 seconds of research, I found a local bass player selling the cabs on the cheap ($200 for both) and went to get them Thursday. The 115 had some weird paint job on the front grill and was missing the casters, but easy fix there.

efYZHmw.jpg

About 5 minutes after finding the cabs another local player posted a 700rb-II for $300 and I grabbed that Friday.

After digging around trying to decide what preamp pedal to try (Pete recommended one that's out of my price range, so I went looking for something else thinking worst case I'd buy another CHUG pedal) and I stumbled onto the Joyo American. Amazon had it on sale for $39. Done.

MlgMF3Y.jpg

Having the ability to adjust upper and lower mids on the head is huge and makes a major difference in the sound.

So, all in, $545 after tax on the Joyo. How'd I do?

You did well Iron! Not sure you could do better at that price. My brother has one of those GK heads and I agree that's a great choice.

You did well Iron! Not sure you could do better at that price. My brother has one of those GK heads and I agree that's a great choice.
It definitely rips! Does your brother run a 10-band in the loop like we do with guitar amps?

It definitely rips! Does your brother run a 10-band in the loop like we do with guitar amps?
Nah, he's a drummer lol. I play the thing mostly now when we have the occasional jam session at his house and don't run any pedals with it. A bass player friend sold it to him with a 4x10 matching cab. He had used it in tandem with a 15 or 18" loaded cab before and it sounded huge.

I spent some more time dialing it in yesterday - definitely has enough punch to rattle the drywall off the studs. And, I have yet to turn it up past 1/3 volume.
I've been in three different bands with bassists that used these heads and similar cabs. They're great.

Is it me, or is it MUCH easier to grab a killer bass rig than a good guitar rig?

I feel like every bass rig I have ever heard has been really good :LOL:

Yeah. I love the tones of GK stuff. I have had a GK rig myself and the current bass player in the cover band I am in uses his every gig. Now we use a Behringer rig at the rehearsal room and it sounds great but if I ever run into a deal for a GK set up, I will upgrade immediately.

Took it to jam last night with a drummer and didn't even need to turn it past half way. Was a PITA to take it from my basement to the car to his basement and back again :rofl , but otherwise, it totally did what I needed.

Awesome!! For what you spent, you could eventually get a second rig and keep one in each basement :beer

Back