Native Kontrol wins … over Nektar Panorama Controller

What I like about the Nektar, is all the specific integration into the daw and plug-ins.

Seems unique to Nektar such deep controllers … seems well thought out.

P6 has been around for a while too (10 yrs?)

No real informed opinion but I DO Like the looks of this controller. They have a midi foot controller that got good word of mouth so I think they are a solid choice?

Bummer …

Known Issues​

Currently Nektar controllers will operate as generic MIDI devices when running Cubase/Nuendo, Reaper, and Digital Performer as native applications on M1/M2/ARM based Apple computers.
Nektar DAW support software for Logic has been updated so that most of our controllers can now be used when running Logic as a native M1/M2/Arm application. The only exception is the Panorama P-series, which we do plan to update as well.

$600 bullet dodge then?
$479 on Amazon…

It does seem like it’s something they’re working on… I just gonna wait until it’s done.

It’s pretty amazing integration, but it looks like the new M-series of chips from Apple break some of the midi implementation a little bit?

Fwiw, I'm using one of the smaller Nektar keyboards (the Impact GX 61) and it's quite ok. What you need to know with all these cheaper controllers is that the keys usually aren't anything to write home about, same goes for the rubber trigger pads. After all, there's a reason why dedicated masterkeyboards and trigger-pads come at a cost.
I'm not advocating against buying anything Nektar, but in my case, the keys are comparatively loud and feel sort of spongy (I think the springs used are quite strong). As a result, when playing through monitors, I need to turn up my volume some, so that the keyboard noise is covered.
Their Panorama series might be one step up, but I wouldn't bet for this to be true for the keyboards. Make sure they offer a decent return policy (I guess Sweetwater does...).

As far as DAW control goes - hm, you'll possibly be wasting money here. Thing is, with non-motorized faders and non-endless knobs, you'll get no feedback from the DAW. In other words, once you change a parameter with your mouse, that change won't be reflected on your controller. In addition, once you move one of the faders/knobs from another value than what is set in your DAW, you'll experience parameter jumps.
Been there, done that (I had a fader/knob equipped M-Audio Oxygen before).

Personally (your mileage may however greatly vary), in case I'd buy a new controller keyboard, I'd rather go for one with better feeling (and less loud) keys and less fancy features. In case I wanted DAW control, I'd rather get an additional controller of whatever kind, possibly one suited to work extremely well with my very DAW of choice.

Fwiw, I'm using one of the smaller Nektar keyboards (the Impact GX 61) and it's quite ok. What you need to know with all these cheaper controllers is that the keys usually aren't anything to write home about, same goes for the rubber trigger pads. After all, there's a reason why dedicated masterkeyboards and trigger-pads come at a cost.
I'm not advocating against buying anything Nektar, but in my case, the keys are comparatively loud and feel sort of spongy (I think the springs used are quite strong). As a result, when playing through monitors, I need to turn up my volume some, so that the keyboard noise is covered.
Their Panorama series might be one step up, but I wouldn't bet for this to be true for the keyboards. Make sure they offer a decent return policy (I guess Sweetwater does...).

As far as DAW control goes - hm, you'll possibly be wasting money here. Thing is, with non-motorized faders and non-endless knobs, you'll get no feedback from the DAW. In other words, once you change a parameter with your mouse, that change won't be reflected on your controller. In addition, once you move one of the faders/knobs from another value than what is set in your DAW, you'll experience parameter jumps.

Personally (your mileage may however greatly vary), in case I'd buy a new controller keyboard, I'd rather go for one with better feeling (and less loud) keys and less fancy features. In case I wanted DAW control, I'd rather get an additional controller of whatever kind, possibly one suited to work extremely well with my very DAW of choice.

I didn’t even realize DAW keyboard controllers were a thing until reading your post and googling. The rabbit hole goes deep lol

I have a Nektar P4, I purchased it when they were first released. I really like it. I primarily use Reason but I have also dabbled in Logic with it and the integration is really good. I am still on an intel Mac though and plan on upgrading this summer so hopefully by then, they’ll have a new firmware update. It would be a real shame if I lost all the control I have through it right now.

Personally (your mileage may however greatly vary), in case I'd buy a new controller keyboard, I'd rather go for one with better feeling (and less loud) keys and less fancy features. In case I wanted DAW control, I'd rather get an additional controller of whatever kind, possibly one suited to work extremely well with my very DAW of chith the fader/knob controls on the Panorama series, you actually get some visual feedback on the keyboard display as to where your DAW settings are compared to the physical slider/knobs. The keyboard won’t adjust the parameters until you align it it with the DAW setting. This helps prevent any sudden jumps.
With the Panorama series you actually have feedback on the display as to what the DAW setting for a parameter is compared to the physical setting. When you go to adjust a setting with the controller, it won’t change the DAW parameter until you match the physical position to the DAW setting. This helps prevent any sudden parameter jumps. Plus on the P4 and P6, you do have the one motorized fader which hones in on your selected track.

It really seems like a good choice… How are the keys/action?
I preempt this by saying I am no where near a keys player so take everything I say with a grain of salt. For me they are serviceable; I seem to be able to get a good variety of velocity readings depending on how I hit and I do find the keys playable, but they can be a little loud as @Sascha Franck said. Now like I said, I’ve had it for over 10 years now, so maybe I’ve adapted to it subconsciously. I do find the pads a little stiff and somewhat unresponsive though and I fine myself more likely to reach for the keys over the pads for say finger drumming.

With the Panorama series you actually have feedback on the display as to what the DAW setting for a parameter is compared to the physical setting. When you go to adjust a setting with the controller, it won’t change the DAW parameter until you match the physical position to the DAW setting. This helps prevent any sudden parameter jumps. Plus on the P4 and P6, you do have the one motorized fader which hones in on your selected track.

Ah, that's quite cool then. Thanks for the heads up!

There are a few videos showing the onboard integration. It’s really very neat.

I’m just seeing more and more small issues with the Apple M series ARM chips.

I was looking at Samsung monitors last night and Apple Mseries chips also have a sync issue with third-party solutions. Dammit … the we’re on sale too … I wonder why? Lol

49 seems to be the Golidilocks, "just right," size.
I'd say so too. I have an old Novation Remote 61 and it's a bit bigger than I'd like and like mentioned for other products in this thread, its keys don't feel that great.

I'm super happy with my ASM Hydrasynth Explorer. 37 keys that despite being mini size feel really, really good. Very really easy to use, killer sounds if you enjoy synthwave. It's not exactly built to work as a MIDI controller though but I wanted to get away from VST plugins for synths so I have something that I can just plug in and play rather than fire up a DAW project and deal with virtual knobs and whatnot. Kind of the same approach as using a digital modeler over VST plugins.

Back