NAM: Neural Amp Modeler

hell yeah! my uploads are here:

I joined the FB group, and have everything going on my end, but I am doing things a little different and getting a lot of latency.

I have a Line 6 Catalyst 200 which has AI built in so I have my laptop running the plugin into USB on the amp. I have tried every setting and still getting latency. I had this when I setup Tonex CS until I changed the settings to ASIO and changed the input/output channels. I tried ASIO as well and nothing changed.

BTW, I think this is a great program and sounds better through my amp than Tonex CS. I just want to get the latency gone so I can really dig in deeper.

I posted this on the FB group to see if anyone has any suggestions, but pending post approval.

Thanks!!

I saw your post there - are you running it in standalone or DAW? What is your hookup? There's no real reason it shouldn't have the same latency as tonex.

hell yeah! my uploads are here:

I saw your post there - are you running it in standalone or DAW? What is your hookup? There's no real reason it shouldn't have the same latency as tonex.
Standalone - Plugin on the laptop to USB on the amp, same for both. The settings on Tonex CS - ASIO and it detects the Catalyst and input on Chan 1&2 or 3&4, and output on the opposite of input, either 3&4 or 1&2

Standalone - Plugin on the laptop to USB on the amp, same for both. The settings on Tonex CS - ASIO and it detects the Catalyst and input on Chan 1&2 or 3&4, and output on the opposite of input, either 3&4 or 1&2

Do you have the same settings and ASIO configured for NAM? Same buffer size and at 48khz? And also make sure to use input 1 if you can. Can you screenshot the nam audio preferences?

Do you have the same settings and ASIO configured for NAM? Same buffer size and at 48khz? And also make sure to use input 1 if you can. Can you screenshot the nam audio preferences?

I will try that tomorrow morning and see if that helps. Thanks for the help!!

Have you guys noticed a problem when trying to use other plugins before or after NAM in your DAW and it turns acoustic only and the distortion disappears? I'm using Cakewalk by Bandlab by the way.

Have you guys noticed a problem when trying to use other plugins before or after NAM in your DAW and it turns acoustic only and the distortion disappears? I'm using Cakewalk by Bandlab by the way.

It's a mono plugin - I'm not sure how without knowing more details but there's a good chance that's related somehow? I don't know anything about cakewalk either, so I'm not sure. You're saying it happens after too??

Ok thanks. I just tryed NAM in Reaper and it seems not to have that issue. It was doing the same thing as like when you try run NAM at a higher rate than 48 K, But Cakewalk was running at 48K, maybe it is a mono thing? Thanks for the tip.

I have to say that changing my entire system from 96kHz to 48kHz just to try NAM was annoying, also, the need to use a Mono track in Cakewalk for it to not bug out is annoying, and also, there is a fuck ton of aliasing artifacts.

NAM is cool but the VST plugin needs a LOT of work to be actually useful in a real project, not just for fun noodling.
For starters, fix the mono bug and include at least x2 oversampling and apply antialiasing filter beyond 20kHz.
All other convenience updates like IR browsing, up/down arrows etc. are less important, the thing is a buggy mess.

I have to say that changing my entire system from 96kHz to 48kHz just to try NAM was annoying, also, the need to use a Mono track in Cakewalk for it to not bug out is annoying, and also, there is a f**k ton of aliasing artifacts.

NAM is cool but the VST plugin needs a LOT of work to be actually useful in a real project, not just for fun noodling.
For starters, fix the mono bug and include at least x2 oversampling and apply antialiasing filter beyond 20kHz.
All other convenience updates like IR browsing, up/down arrows etc. are less important, the thing is a buggy mess.

I think he is planning to make the sample rates adjustable actually - but I'm pretty sure that's just for *using* the plugin with multiple sample rates, and won't change anything about what's happening internally yet. Stereo is on the map too, but I think he has yet to decide how he wants to go about that.

A lot of this is born of the fact that this was actually just a hobby project that suddenly became really popular - not a plugin intended for commercial use, so there are still plenty of rough edges to work on. There wasn't a plugin format at all as recently as about 6 months ago because he was mainly focused on the ML aspect and less so the software side. It's been a ride watching all this unfold for sure

I have to say that changing my entire system from 96kHz to 48kHz just to try NAM was annoying, also, the need to use a Mono track in Cakewalk for it to not bug out is annoying, and also, there is a f**k ton of aliasing artifacts.

Yes, I hope it does support much higher sample rates in the future. I see I'm not alone experiencing issues with it in Cakewalik.

I think he is planning to make the sample rates adjustable actually - but I'm pretty sure that's just for *using* the plugin with multiple sample rates, and won't change anything about what's happening internally yet. Stereo is on the map too, but I think he has yet to decide how he wants to go about that.

A lot of this is born of the fact that this was actually just a hobby project that suddenly became really popular - not a plugin intended for commercial use, so there are still plenty of rough edges to work on. There wasn't a plugin format at all as recently as about 6 months ago because he was mainly focused on the ML aspect and less so the software side. It's been a ride watching all this unfold for sure

Firstly - for the sake of transparency - I am a hardware GT1000 + Tonex Pedal user ... superb tone and feel ..... Tonex VST Plugin user - very clunky but sound / works fine .....I am also well aware of NAM null testing extremely marginally better than Tonex but am also aware from tests done that NAM -still- has a FRAEAKIN'-TON-LOAD of aliasing ....anyway

So .... for sh%ts and giggles ... I just d/l 0.7.1 - which I *think* is the latest version (?) - DAW is running all at 48k etc.....

I have been using VST's in DAW's for recording and playback for 10+ years and have installed probably hundreds of VST guitar and other VST plugins and run them all at 64 samples or lower with my RME ..... never with any kind of installation, configuration and playback issue. For this entire time I was using Sonar which became Cakewalk By Bandlab, Reaper and Studio One ... no drama's

It *installed* fine .... but .... the VST 3 is a total dog to get going with any sort of reliability ... it is as flaky and buggy and sludgy as all sh%t ... hogs resources and when it does work [I d/l some "highly regarded from the FB group" Dirty Shirly / Dumble Overdrive Capture's from the newly released site] .... the resulting tones were "ok" .... and they have very noticeable "aliasing" on the initial note attack and especially the note decay ?!?!?

Bur ordinary sounds %100 aside - as these will vary from Capture to Capture - this VST needs a sh%t-load of work before it would be even considered remotely usable for the normal/average VST-DAW-musician-songwriter.

Yep ... I have no doubt it will get better ..... but so to will everything else ie: including Tonex ;)

I can see the whole fun and excitement and communal "comradery thing" ... I totally get it.

I'll revisit it in 6 - 12 months time when its say at V2 or whatever .... until then, I couldn't uninstall this VST quick enough.

No doubt others have had better experiences :) .... but from my testing, this current NAM VST is sh%tful to use.

And please ...... no "NAM-gasaming" / " NAM fan-boi'ising" ... keep that for "the other place" ... just reporting my experiences, and in no way wanting to "brag", I kind of do know what I'm doing when it comes to setting up and configuring and running VST's in numerous different DAW's.

Each to their own.

Peace.

Ben

Bur ordinary sounds %100 aside - as these will vary from Capture to Capture - this VST needs a sh%t-load of work before it would be even considered remotely usable for the normal/average VST-DAW-musician-songwriter.

Yes - latest is 0.7.1

I don't disagree actually - it's mainly hype that pushed people to believe otherwise. Until recently it's been more of an overlap space between guitar players and dev people, and even most people using it now would have had a harder time.

And please ...... no "NAM-gasaming" / " NAM fan-boi'ising" ... keep that for "the other place" ... just reporting my experiences, and in no way wanting to "brag", I kind of do know what I'm doing when it comes to setting up and configuring and running VST's in numerous different DAW's.

All good - I'm not here to convince anyone, just drop information and help where I can

Yes - latest is 0.7.1

I don't disagree actually - it's mainly hype that pushed people to believe otherwise. Until recently it's been more of an overlap space between guitar players and dev people, and even most people using it now would have had a harder time.

All good - I'm not here to convince anyone, just drop information and help where I can

Thanks northern_fox !

My comment about "NAM-gasaming" / " NAM fan-boi'ising" wasn't directed at anyone here :)

It was/is a hangover from some very recent stuff posted by the same handful of people in "the other place" .... there is simply no amount of balanced, logical, rational, factual discussion that can be had with them .... the singular response to whatever is posted they alwasy give ... is ... basically .... NAM is the best ... always will be ... and everyone else is butt hurt .... I'm paraphrasing but it is just so delusional, embarrassing and nauseating.

All the best :)
Ben

It's no surprise that the adversarial attitudes present on forums and social media would only be amplified when the threshold for entry is pretty much absent.

I'll be curious to see how NAM develops over the following months and years and what sort of flow on effect, if any, there are for established commercial developers.

Quick *unexpected* update

In my efforts to get the VST3 working in Cakewalk Bandlab ..... I uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times ... and it finally worked for about 25 minutes before it crashed / locked up Cakewalk Bandlab ... needing a hard re-boot ... cant remember the last time I needed to do that :( ..... anyway ....... that's not my point / concern ..... reliability will doubtlessly come with time ....

I recorded some basic guitar .... set the track to Loop and messed with the Controls and found a *very unexpected* thing.

The "input [gain]" seemed to operate well.

But the Bass / Middle / Treble ... but especially the Bass and Middle responded absolutely nothing like ... Tonex ... !!

So what I hear you think ? Why do I mention this ? Who gives a f&ck ?

Well ......because one of the absolutely great things IK have got right with Tonex - and I have no idea how they have done it - is that unlike the KPA ... adjusting the Tonex G/B/M/T/P changes the sound [obviously] but it keeps the core tone and uniqueness of the Amp Capture intact.

This current 0.7.1 VST version [ I've no idea if this is a new EQ Stack being used ? ] ... is quite honestly and genuinely worse than even the KPA implementation ..... even smallish adjustments to the Bass and especially the Mids really made the Capture sound increasingly "out of whack" / very "changed" from the original Capture ... the Treble control is a better but still not "ideal".

The Tonex "eq" implementation is very musical and natural and "seems related" to the specific core Captured sound - you can adjust to pretty much any setting and the sound is still "in the Captures ball-park" ... it almost feels like you are adjusting the actual Amp controls .. even though of course you aren't because its "just" a Post or Pre-Capture EQ.

The Amps too felt surprisingly and unexpectedly "stiff" compared to the Tonex .... but that's another point entirely.

The aliasing on lower gain amps - which are bloody near impossible to find - is really not pretty .... NAM desperately needs some really accurate oversampling a.s.a.p .... but again, that's another point entirely.

I was going to post this in "the other place" and/or on the FB group where I am a "lurking member" under a different name .... but in either place, I have no doubt I would be howled down as a Tonex-shill-fan-boi-NAM-hating-heretic ... such is the "hype and heat" of some / quite a few of the current NAM "evangelists".

Anyway ..... just putting it here f.w.i.w ..... I think Steve ? or someone *really* needs to completely re-do the current NAM EQ Stack so it is guitar frequency focused .... or frankly .... just copy the way IK have done it !

If you have Tonex and NAM .... run each as VST in a track ..... use a similar'ish amp for each and the same IR for each ..... loop-toggle between them whilst messing with the Tonex EQ and then the NAM EQ .... it will be obvious very quickly.

Then again ... maybe my ears a totally f&cked ..... but I doubt it ;) :)

All the best to all,
Ben

I think he is planning to make the sample rates adjustable actually - but I'm pretty sure that's just for *using* the plugin with multiple sample rates, and won't change anything about what's happening internally yet.

I assume most professional plugins have some kind of sampling rate conversion at the input?
Internal processing can remain at 48kHz or 96kHz if oversampled, but the DAW project sampling rate has to be independent from that.

Back