NAM: Neural Amp Modeler

Honestly if you like the tone and are happy with where you're at, I wouldn't worry about aliasing too much :beer
Agree :) ..... I'm just technically curious :) ... I like to think I've got pretty good / discerning hearing .... a recent full detailed hearing test had me at pretty much "perfect" hearing ... and I'm 61 !! :( :( ...... so *maybe* the Helix, GT1000, Tonex software and my old FM3 ...with their current FW's / Software updates, have this problem "eradicated" / "solved" even if it is theoretically still measurable (?)

Ben

Awesome video's and link ... huge thanks !

So in a very simplistic way ... using Helix or GT1000 or Tonex Software etc... .... is there anything specific I should be trying to "tune" my ears to "hear-out" for (?)

Thanks again,
Ben
Use a DAW, load up a plugin with a graphical frequency analyzer (most modern EQs have one) and a plugin that can generate sine waves.

Run the sine waves into whatever you're testing (hardware/amp sim plug in). Watch the fundamental note and all of its harmonics as you raise the sine wave from low to high. As you reach a higher and higher fundamental note pay attention to the harmonic content. When you see the harmonics "folding back" - cascading in the opposite direction, that's a visual clue for when aliasing is happening. Now that you can see it you know when to listen for it

Awesome video's and link ... huge thanks !

So in a very simplistic way ... using Helix or GT1000 or Tonex Software etc... .... is there anything specific I should be trying to "tune" my ears to "hear-out" for (?)

Thanks again,
Ben

It would be a kind of a fizz or unnatural tone at the higher frequencies. But I would not be concerned about it. If it doesn't bother you, just don't try to hear it, and have fun playing.

At post #4 of this thread you can listen a saw signal with and without aliasing

More info here:

Last edited:
Use this as a signal generator plugin in DAW: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2801/

The sine should be above 10kHz because 2nd harmonic is twice the frequency and is outside the audible band (20kHz).
With a real amp you should only see a single peak of the test signal when sweeping from 10kHz to 20kHz if your analyzer only shows up to 20kHz, real amps don't have aliasing.
Modelers and plugins will exhibit various degrees of aliasing.

Last edited:
What is everyone's personal experience with NAM? All that I have tried so far sounds very similar. This is focusing on high gain.

In my experience if the capture is done properly with calibrated voltage into the reamp box, it sound identical to the amp.
It has major aliasing problem though, the VST Plugin doesn't oversample.

Cordy: ZERO Pound Sterling!

In my experience if the capture is done properly with calibrated voltage into the reamp box, it sound identical to the amp.
It has major aliasing problem though, the VST Plugin doesn't oversample.

Cordy: ZERO Pound Sterling!
I need to get the training software installed and give that a go.

All installed and running my first now, locally. I know NAM isn't meant to do full captures but the first I'm running has a cab. Will see.

What do you mean not supporting full amp captures?
It supports whatever you put into it.
Steve stated it is not optimized for the cabinet section and only intended for amp only, he has been surprised at the full amp results but stated he plans to do an update to fully support full amp captures. He says this will be much more complicated than what NAM is now though.

He says this will be much more complicated than what NAM is now though.
Oh he probably means capturing the tonestack, presence, resonance, master, etc. of the real amp, in that case he's right.
Otherwise NAM can do exactly what other capturing software can, if not better.

Oh he probably means capturing the tonestack, presence, resonance, master, etc. of the real amp, in that case he's right.
Otherwise NAM can do exactly what other capturing software can, if not better.
I believe he is thinking of including an IR tool in the capture process. Not sure.

Back