NAM: Neural Amp Modeler

Rest assured, my lungs are in excellent condition.

I doubt that. Green box is a placeholder for the Dimehead:

View attachment 28568

Gotta cram 4 switches instead of 3 into the same width.

The latter doesn't have anything to do with parameter jumps.
Parameter jumps = when you call up a preset and touch a knob, the programmed parameter will *have to* jump to the parameter of the knob. That's a very unpleasant thing to deal with (even if there's various ways to tackle the issue, such as "soft takeover" - but non of them makes it a good idea).

There's only a difference in tactile feel if you're not using the right components. Decent encoders deliver the same excellent feel as a knob.

So you are right on Parameter jumps, I totally got wrong what you meant with it, my bad. Can be annoying, point given on that. Proper encoders can be a real solution here, although I've yet to encounter one which I would prefer over the analog deal. The Param Knob is okay, as well is the encoder knob on my audient iD44 interface. I guess, depending on what actual knob you have and how much resistance it overs by sliding over, my evaluation could change. But I really like the fact that you do not have to rely on visual cues, but you have a defined end-point on real potentiometers, so with experience, you can dial them in blindly. Same point might go for encoders, once you know there feel, you know how far you can get. But I personally enjoy the smooth feel of an analog poti. And I am just used to Parameter jumps since forever, but yes, but that shall not be a lazy excuse why there should not be a better solution out there.

I just checked a YouTube video on rotary encoders, it could be that this bumps up the size of the circuit substantially, as you need an IC (the digital resistor) per pot and a few capacitors. If you just use voltage regulating pots triggering programs based off the voltage steps, you can easen up the circuit substantially and just work with a few resistors. Cheap out or necessity for the form factor? I have no idea, but might shed more light into speculation realm.

The pedal which I had in mind having the same distance between footswitches is the Ampero HoTone Stage II. You could now argue that HoTone made their homework, recognized the size was far too cramed and then changed it, but strangely, their HoTone Ampero Stage II, so same generation, features a different enclosure, offering 5 switches, and that leads to the same distance like on the NAM Player - since I don't want to grab somebody elses picture on FB and just post it here, here the link to that picture for reference where they are combining the two:

The distance seems pretty much the same, or at least similar.

but you have a defined end-point on real potentiometers, so with experience, you can dial them in blindly.

Ahem... while I do get the point (and I even expected it to be raised), how often exactly did you actually move any amp's tone stack knobs to their end points? I can safely say how often I'm doing so (and all the amp controls on my pedal board are WYSIWYG, treated 100% as in the analog world), namely: never. This is like having an answer for a non-existing problem.

The pedal which I had in mind having the same distance between footswitches is the Ampero HoTone Stage II.

Even given your picture (the toppers are blurrying things a bit, too), there's somewhat noticeably more space between the Ampero switches (and fwiw, I actually find the Ampero switches to be almost too close to each other already - the distance on, say, the GT-1000 is as small as I wanted to deal with). And yes, in this case there's no "what's a centimeter among friends?" thing, even just a centimeter can actually make or break it).
Bildschirmfoto 2024-09-16 um 16.31.55.jpg

Huh.. that's pretty interesting, but zero info (as expected) about what the tech actually is.
My guess is that it's probably RTNeural based.
No clue unless Dave comes out with more info; curious what folks make of this (how it sounds / feels).

Ahem... while I do get the point (and I even expected it to be raised), how often exactly did you actually move any amp's tone stack knobs to their end points? I can safely say how often I'm doing so (and all the amp controls on my pedal board are WYSIWYG, treated 100% as in the analog world), namely: never. This is like having an answer for a non-existing problem.

Even given your picture (the toppers are blurrying things a bit, too), there's somewhat noticeably more space between the Ampero switches (and fwiw, I actually find the Ampero switches to be almost too close to each other already - the distance on, say, the GT-1000 is as small as I wanted to deal with). And yes, in this case there's no "what's a centimeter among friends?" thing, even just a centimeter can actually make or break it).
View attachment 28572

I think this scaling is misleading - if the ampero II is actually 2.2". The DH pedal is about 2.1", which is effectively the same and appears to be the same as the morningstar spacing. I no longer have a QC but I think it's definitely a little wider spacing.

1726509559519.png

So @lol, you entered this forum to leave tons of :poop: reactions to my postings without even posting a single word yourself? Gotta say that's making you look like a really smart dude. I'm sure we can all learn something from you.

Can the Dimehead be used as an audio interface as well? If yes whats the spec (48k / 24bit etc)? I can't see a manual for it is there one out there?

Can the Dimehead be used as an audio interface as well? If yes whats the spec (48k / 24bit etc)? I can't see a manual for it is there one out there?
No, simply use it with your existing audio interface.
With such low latency it's fantastic if you've got your interface set for direct monitoring. ;)

Reactions: Elf
No, simply use it with your existing audio interface.
With such low latency it's fantastic if you've got your interface set for direct monitoring. ;)
I'm doing a capture pedal comparison so just seeing if it had that feature. Is there a manual for this? Kinda hard to see all the effects it has. I can't see much on the site besides a FAQ. I watched their video but the new firmware seems to have brought in new stuff, hard to stay ontop of it as an outsider to owning one.

I'm doing a capture pedal comparison so just seeing if it had that feature. Is there a manual for this? Kinda hard to see all the effects it has. I can't see much on the site besides a FAQ. I watched their video but the new firmware seems to have brought in new stuff, hard to stay ontop of it as an outsider to owning one.
Latest firmware shows quite a good bit of detail.
I'm fairly sure the website is getting updated v.soon, but it hasn't been pushed yet.

firmware.png

The "FAQ" is as close as it gets , but I agree they should definitely get some documentation out. Fortunately it's a pretty simple device to use

The effects it has are:

- tremelo,
- delay (with added modulation - so, think vibey/chorus/flange etc)
- reverb (60 second IR Loader - has some included (really nice) and... *basically load up anything you like, it's a massive world of fun .. you can load IRs of literally whatever your imagination can think of)

*for example you could use one of many free reverbs IRs (there are tons), or pay for a pack of reverbs IRs, or you could make an IR out of any of your favourite reverb plugins, or hardware units, or just record an impulse through a long plastic tube... or clap your hand or pop a balloon in an echoey room, or you could make an IR of any reverb or delay effect pedal or from some other modeler... and it can then be imported as a .wav file and ... upto 60 seconds of decay time.

Last edited:
Back