NAD: VHT Sig:X

nightlight

Roadie
Pretty stoked after getting my hands on one of these. I used to own one, but had to sell it to fund something else. Was kicking myself after that, as it's a Swiss Army knife of an amp. Great clean tones, an excellent rhythm channel and a fantastic lead channel for soloing.

Plugging into was like entering dry sonic territory again after spending much of the past two-three years experimenting with amps that are known for compressed tones.

This amp is very different from my Engls, Marshall and Mesa Boogie. The closest thing I have to it is a VHT GP3 preamp, which is also dry sounding but is its own kind of beast.

What really surprised me was how much better the rhythm channel on this one sounded compared to the older one I had. Might be because of the KT88 tubes that are in it. I did pop in a couple of 6505s to see which I preferred. but like my Engl Savage 120, the KT88s just add a thumping bottom end and also seem to be less shrill in the mids and highs.

A funny thing is that the original owner was complaining that there was something wrong with the amp, as the volume was really low. I thought it might be a tube problem and told him as much, and we agreed to stay in touch in case there was something more amiss, in which case repairs might have been merited.

When I got it home, I plugged into my Orange 2x12 with V30s and, as described, the volume was very low. I tried flipping the switches to 100-watt mode from 40 watts, messed with controls and adjusted other parameters. The tone was definitely there and the amp was making sound, just at extremely low volume.

At this point, I opened up the back and put the 6550s in, expecting to see the volume go up. Except it didn't. I was a bit concerned that maybe the phase inverter tube had gone bad, but I didn't have any way to check it and didn't have a spare anyway.

I then took a look at the back to see if there was anything wrong with the FX loop.

The Sig:X has the option to set the FX loop in either serial or parallel, and there's an option to bypass it altogether. I flipped all the switches and took the loop out of the equation.

And voila! The amp was working perfectly. I've done business with this particular gentleman before, so pleased as punch he didn't sell me a broken amp.

I am seriously grinning from ear to ear. Been gassing for one of these for a long time now. I'll try to post some tones, but for now, here's a look at the amp, it's very clean for something so old.

SigX 1.jpg

And here's a family shot for all the gear Wh*res out there:

SigX 2.jpg

Pretty stoked after getting my hands on one of these. I used to own one, but had to sell it to fund something else. Was kicking myself after that, as it's a Swiss Army knife of an amp. Great clean tones, an excellent rhythm channel and a fantastic lead channel for soloing.

Plugging into was like entering dry sonic territory again after spending much of the past two-three years experimenting with amps that are known for compressed tones.

This amp is very different from my Engls, Marshall and Mesa Boogie. The closest thing I have to it is a VHT GP3 preamp, which is also dry sounding but is its own kind of beast.

What really surprised me was how much better the rhythm channel on this one sounded compared to the older one I had. Might be because of the KT88 tubes that are in it. I did pop in a couple of 6505s to see which I preferred. but like my Engl Savage 120, the KT88s just add a thumping bottom end and also seem to be less shrill in the mids and highs.

A funny thing is that the original owner was complaining that there was something wrong with the amp, as the volume was really low. I thought it might be a tube problem and told him as much, and we agreed to stay in touch in case there was something more amiss, in which case repairs might have been merited.

When I got it home, I plugged into my Orange 2x12 with V30s and, as described, the volume was very low. I tried flipping the switches to 100-watt mode from 40 watts, messed with controls and adjusted other parameters. The tone was definitely there and the amp was making sound, just at extremely low volume.

At this point, I opened up the back and put the 6550s in, expecting to see the volume go up. Except it didn't. I was a bit concerned that maybe the phase inverter tube had gone bad, but I didn't have any way to check it and didn't have a spare anyway.

I then took a look at the back to see if there was anything wrong with the FX loop.

The Sig:X has the option to set the FX loop in either serial or parallel, and there's an option to bypass it altogether. I flipped all the switches and took the loop out of the equation.

And voila! The amp was working perfectly. I've done business with this particular gentleman before, so pleased as punch he didn't sell me a broken amp.

I am seriously grinning from ear to ear. Been gassing for one of these for a long time now. I'll try to post some tones, but for now, here's a look at the amp, it's very clean for something so old.

View attachment 30790

And here's a family shot for all the gear Wh*res out there:

View attachment 30791
kai-greene.gif

How’s the feel?
I heard it was dry/stiff.
That may be exactly what you want.
Wish it was El-34..fire in the hole!

Idk about stiff, but dry is definitely apt for Fryettes. And I mean that in a good way. It’s not a gain saturation like other modern high gainers. But when you work it right will rip your god damn head off like no other amp

NOT forgiving, they make you a better player

And pick attack/wrist is everything. I’ll never forget the time other guitar player in my old band plugged into my pittbull, he was on my “brutal metal” setting… it was awful guitar sounded damn near clean and like an extreme gate was on it. He was not a metal guy so I won’t razz him too much but that was still very much an ego boost for myself :ROFLMAO:

This is a really long demo, but the tones are good imho. Gorgeous cleans, crushing rhythms and brutal lead tones. Have a listen.

This is the in the room sound, as captured by a Sphere L22 mic.

How’s the feel?
I heard it was dry/stiff.

Idk about stiff, but dry is definitely apt for Fryettes. And I mean that in a good way. It’s not a gain saturation like other modern high gainers. But when you work it right will rip your god damn head off like no other amp

NOT forgiving, they make you a better player

And pick attack/wrist is everything. :ROFLMAO:

The Sig:X is not nearly as dry or stiff as the Pittbull series but in comparison to a 5150 or other compressed high gain amps it is.

As spawn said, it does make you a better player. I noticed a distinct improvement in my technique after doing the work to clean up my fingering/picking because the amp will reveal any sloppiness.

But the reward is that it reveals the nuances of your playing allowing you to be much more expressive than an amp that smears the attack.

The Sig:X has been my main big iron head for a decade and the fact that it sounds great for Jazz, Blues Rock, Classic Rock, and Modern Metal says a lot. Most high gain channel switchers have cleans and overdrive tones that sound like secondary considerations, not the Sig:X. It does them all very, very well.

I can't tell you how many posts I've read by players who said they wish they'd never sold theirs. Mine isn't going anywhere.

Many voicing options, more or less gain on each channel, 40 or 90 watt switching on all channels, parallel or series effects loop...the amp is really set up to meet your personal preferences. The original promotional copy said the name Sig:X meant it was designed to allow you to create your own sonic signature. In my experience it lives up to that and more.

NFX_4228.jpg

What speakers do you use with your Sig X?

I've seen the amp come up for sale on my local market a few times for around 1000 € and have been tempted, but I'm a bit burned on Fryette due to their poor support, the problems I've had with the Power Station and not really liking the Pitbull or Deliverance sound for anything but metal rhythm tones.

Back