NAD: Marshall JCM800 2203 (J.F)

Damn 2203 is grossly overpriced here.
It was 1470€ (1600$) including everything.
I don't know why Marshall is price gouging in the States because Orange amps are also British made and also ship across the Atlantic so it's not related to import costs.
US Marshall distributors are pigging out because they can which is unfortunate.

You have the endgame trifecta. :chef
Almost, my 1960AX cab is still shipping then my rig will be "complete".
Modelers are great, love them, but I thought I should try a few of my favorite classic amps for the experience and to have a real reference.

1706747868226.png

So have you ordered a fryette power station and abandoned modelers yet?
Fractal X-Load -> DAW -> IR -> Monitors.
I am not abandoning modelers ever, I just wanted to experience the amps a lot of my favorite music was recorded with.
In reality (and imo) tube amps are a fun novelty item and not actually needed, so yes, I bought it for the 'experience' and I'm having fun with it all.

I am not abandoning modelers ever, I just wanted to experience the amps a lot of my favorite music was recorded with.
In reality (and imo) tube amps are a fun novelty item and not actually needed, so yes, I bought it for the 'experience' and I'm having fun with it all.

Cool man. I’m jealous.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts a few months from now after you’ve got a lot of time with all the new gear as to how it all compares in sound and feel.

D

Look forward to hearing your thoughts a few months from now after you’ve got a lot of time with all the new gear as to how it all compares in sound and feel.

I'm curious myself.

So far the real amp feels a little more touch sensitive and has what I call "imperfections" in the power amp like more dynamic crossover distortion and more imbalance in the output tubes / OT when driven hard (as I see in the recorded waveform with the load box) in comparison to Fractal models with default settings, but I'm sure I can introduce these imperfections in the model by tweaking the advance parameters.

The real amps also makes distinctly different filament buzz+hum noises depending on how I turn up the Gain or Master volumes, also the proximity interaction between the transformers and guitar pickups creates various parasitic noises.

All these small neuances and imperfections of the real amp add mojo to it, all part of the experience.

I'm curious myself.

So far the real amp feels a little more touch sensitive and has what I call "imperfections" in the power amp like more dynamic crossover distortion and more imbalance in the output tubes / OT when driven hard (as I see in the recorded waveform with the load box) in comparison to Fractal models with default settings, but I'm sure I can introduce these imperfections in the model by tweaking the advance parameters.

The real amps also makes distinctly different filament buzz+hum noises depending on how I turn up the Gain or Master volumes, also the proximity interaction between the transformers and guitar pickups creates various parasitic noises.

All these small neuances and imperfections of the real amp add mojo to it, all part of the experience.
Just PM me the VST3 file when it's ready, Jimbo.

:rubshands

So much this.

It’s a fair question because of how much I’ve talked up modeling in the last 5 years, but almost all my buddies who I showed the new amps to ask, “I thought your Fractal did all that?” or “Tired of the Fractal?”. My AxeFX still gets more use than anything else in my apartment.

This is life with the cherry on top.

I love modellers, but it’s comparing “it’s like a real amp” to “it IS a real amp”. Everything has its use and can be convenient in its own way, but nothing replaces what a real amp is

Oh cool, so you're listening to it with the same IR and through the same monitors that you'd play the Axe-fx and Helix through?

If you're prepared to do it I'm sure everyone would love to hear your thoughts on all the permutations. Axe-fx 2203 compared to Helix 2203 compared to the real thing. Then maybe, all three through your incoming 1960ax cab, or even just cab vs IR & monitors.

What are your thoughts on the Axe-fx 2203 compared to the Helix 2203 anyway? The Helix 2203 really does seem to be in a tier above the other Helix amps.

Back