NAD: Buh Bye QC Hello….

ejecta

Roadie
So while the QC is a very cool unit, it’s just still too early for me in the company’s history to stay on board soooooo when I returned it, my ever so thoughtful Sweetwater buddy/crack dealer asked if I’d like to just return it or exchange it. Not a bad question there Mr Sweetness. I looked around and saw a demo of this amp and I had read some good thing so figured why not. Using it with the Suhr RL into the Helix for the Sunday gigs might be cool. Well she’s a keeper…. Takes pedals like a champ, open and clear, and is really touch responsive so it ticks my boxes. If lower gain plus pedals into a Marshall-esque is your thing I highly recommend checking this amp out. BTW it says 20 watts but it it’s more like 30+. Keeps up with my other 30 watt amps no problem.

70501261587__3D07E4E6-3535-4FCD-8918-2FCAEEEF8370.jpeg

I am seeing a lot of this
People are tired of the development pace , bugs
And they are coming to the conclusion that NDSP are not really a group of swell guys

I am seeing a lot of this
People are tired of the development pace , bugs
And they are coming to the conclusion that NDSP are not really a group of swell guys
Yeah not looking good but I think they could right the ship. It's a very cool sounding capture device, I thought effects were pretty good despite that rep it gets, it's poly capo thing is one the best I've played, and the routing and ins and outs are good too. Just can't feel comfortable with them right now as a customer. Who knows what the future holds.

I bought mine (and returned it promptly) when I was unable to consistently connect to my home Wi-Fi, which ironically we find out later they were logging the name and password of?

I had mine for about a month. It was a Sweetwater demo. I called to return, they begged me to let them overnight me a brand new one to see if that would fix the problem. I agreed. It didn't fix the problem. I got my money back.

If there is no editor, and the only way to really do anything in terms of getting anything from the Cloud is thru the app, but the Wi-Fi sucks, thats an insane proposition.

I also didn't care for the way the company kept stringing their customer base on with the whole "soon" crap when it came to CorOS 2.0.

No regrets. I'd rather play free plugins thru cheap headphones than a QC at this point.

Funny thing is that the customers who are onboard with the QC at this point seem to be eating out of NDSP's hand; defending the unit and the company at all costs. Some people have even defended their latest issue with Network Security stating that my Wi-Fi network name and password is not Pii.

"We don't even care about porting the plugins"
"We don't need a computer editor, nah, that's cool"

:satan

I bought mine (and returned it promptly) when I was unable to consistently connect to my home Wi-Fi, which ironically we find out later they were logging the name and password of?

I had mine for about a month. It was a Sweetwater demo. I called to return, they begged me to let them overnight me a brand new one to see if that would fix the problem. I agreed. It didn't fix the problem. I got my money back.

If there is no editor, and the only way to really do anything in terms of getting anything from the Cloud is thru the app, but the Wi-Fi sucks, thats an insane proposition.

I also didn't care for the way the company kept stringing their customer base on with the whole "soon" crap when it came to CorOS 2.0.

No regrets. I'd rather play free plugins thru cheap headphones than a QC at this point.

Funny thing is that the customers who are onboard with the QC at this point seem to be eating out of NDSP's hand; defending the unit and the company at all costs. Some people have even defended their latest issue with Network Security stating that my Wi-Fi network name and password is not Pii.

"We don't even care about porting the plugins"
"We don't need a computer editor, nah, that's cool"

:satan
Yeah I hear ya and it’s not good but there’s a lot of companies who make big mistakes and still get it together and move on. I own gear from companies like that. Heck… Bogner doesn’t even have a working website so how do I get ahold of them if I didn’t already have their email? I’m still eyeballing the new Uberschall.:rofl Maybe NDSP will do that or maybe they won’t. Who knows, but it’s not been a good hardware roll out that’s for sure.

Yeah I hear ya and it’s not good but there’s a lot of companies who make big mistakes and still get it together and move on. I own gear from companies like that. Heck… Bogner doesn’t even have a working website so how do I get ahold of them if I didn’t already have their email? I’m still eyeballing the new Uberschall.:rofl Maybe NDSP will do that or maybe they won’t. Who knows, but it’s not been a good hardware roll out that’s for sure.
I sincerely hope they get it together.

There are plenty of folks who love their QC’s. As of this moment, it has 123 ~5 star reviews on Sweetwater. Plenty of happy people. The HX Stomp doesn’t even have that many, and that is a widely accepted pedal with a rabid following.

In the end, it was an expensive unit and, for me, was overwhelming and underwhelming at the same time. No regrets.

Yeah not looking good but I think they could right the ship. It's a very cool sounding capture device, I thought effects were pretty good despite that rep it gets, it's poly capo thing is one the best I've played, and the routing and ins and outs are good too. Just can't feel comfortable with them right now as a customer. Who knows what the future holds.

I figured once you started adding other multi-fx pedals in the loops you’d start seeing where things aren’t as complete yet, either a result of the db differences with send/return levels or the inability to send MIDI PC/CC’s on scene changes or the latency that starts stacking up depending on which row the loops are added into.

I’ve been wanting to try the HDRX20 since I first saw some demos of it, seems to get right into that JTM45 zone really well. Waiting to try one but if I can find one at a GC or Sam Ash close to me I’m hoping to trade my Deluxe Reverb towards it. It’s comforting reading more positive reviews about it. Hahahaha and like the Marshall SV/SC 20’s, I’ve heard it’s a lot louder than one would expect a 20 watt amp to be.

Bogner sent me a part for a Shiva, and with directions how to install it, and did it free of charge. Wasn't even under warranty
anymore either. Love me some Bogner. :banana

I figured once you started adding other multi-fx pedals in the loops you’d start seeing where things aren’t as complete yet, either a result of the db differences with send/return levels or the inability to send MIDI PC/CC’s on scene changes or the latency that starts stacking up depending on which row the loops are added into.

I’ve been wanting to try the HDRX20 since I first saw some demos of it, seems to get right into that JTM45 zone really well. Waiting to try one but if I can find one at a GC or Sam Ash close to me I’m hoping to trade my Deluxe Reverb towards it. It’s comforting reading more positive reviews about it. Hahahaha and like the Marshall SV/SC 20’s, I’ve heard it’s a lot louder than one would expect a 20 watt amp to be.
Definitely worth a check out and very loud for the size IMHO. You may try it and not it like it but I do with my gear. I’ve been looking those SV/SC20’s myself. Cool to have a small JTM45(PRS), Plexi, and the little JCM800 too.

Last edited:
Bogner sent me a part for a Shiva, and with directions how to install it, and did it free of charge. Wasn't even under warranty
anymore either. Love me some Bogner. :banana
Yeah they are awesome to work with it’s just a head scratcher they don’t have a working website or didn’t last I checked.

it's poly capo thing is one the best I've played,
I appreciate that opinions are entirely subjective, and if it worked well for you, it worked well for you, but the pitch shifter on the QC is not polyphonic and exhibits lots of artifacts unless you play with lots of gain, which tends to mask those artifacts.

Out of the units I've tried (Helix, FM3, FM9, and QC), I thought the QCs pitch shifter was the worst of the bunch.

I appreciate that opinions are entirely subjective, and if it worked well for you, it worked well for you, but the pitch shifter on the QC is not polyphonic and exhibits lots of artifacts unless you play with lots of gain, which tends to mask those artifacts.

Out of the units I've tried (Helix, FM3, FM9, and QC), I thought the QCs pitch shifter was the worst of the bunch.
Yeah I did only try it with higher gain so maybe it masked it? I tend to not like them to begin with even down a half step so they all feel rather off to me.... that said you could be very well more accurate in your assessment of it than me for sure.

It's probably somehow technically inferior on paper but when using the pitch shifter as a downtuner for Brutalz (which is about 50% of what I would use one for... the other primary application being that EVH detune thing); I prefer the QC's shifter to FAS, Helix, etc.

I am not making any claims re accuracy but whatever it is that is 'off' about the QC's shifter as a downtuner, I find it to be more agreeable qualitatively than the competition. I have d*cked around with the FAS one the most... Like trying to control it w/ envelope, etc.

That said, I generally would not use a pitch shifter to drop more than two steps and generally avoid it anyway unless retuning is not an option. After that it is just the EVH thing which most of them do well enough for me.

It's probably somehow technically inferior on paper but when using the pitch shifter as a downtuner for Brutalz (which is about 50% of what I would use one for... the other primary application being that EVH detune thing); I prefer the QC's shifter to FAS, Helix, etc.

I am not making any claims re accuracy but whatever it is that is 'off' about the QC's shifter as a downtuner, I find it to be more agreeable qualitatively than the competition. I have d*cked around with the FAS one the most... Like trying to control it w/ envelope, etc.

That said, I generally would not use a pitch shifter to drop more than two steps and generally avoid it anyway unless retuning is not an option. After that it is just the EVH thing which most of them do well enough for me.
Ok... cool so it wasn't just me. I only have experience with FAS and L6 and the Digitech and I thought the QC was better and L6 and FAS is just not that good IMHO so I stick with Digitech. But I don't like down tuners anyway so I'm not the best judge.

I don't really do the high gain thing, but I do know that if you play high gain, the artifacts you hear when playing chords on cleaner tones with the QC pitch shifter aren't anywhere near as apparent. With the lower gain tones, where I usually live, I found the QC's pitch shifter to be on par with the Helix simple pitch block (i.e. a warbley mess on chords), and nowhere near the level of the Helix poly capo (which I think is better than Fractal's offerings). To be fair though, NDSP have never claimed any sort of polyphonic pitch shifting on the QC, although I believe at least one of their plug-ins may offer polyphonic pitch shifting.

They may have improved it since I sold my QC, but I didn't read anything in the release notes of more recent firmwares to suggest that it has been improved.

Back