NAD: 2018 KSR Ares 50

It's not hard to be honest and transparent. That guy clearly did not ship the amp when
he said he did, or would. If there was a delay or reason for that then just say so.

I called the guy yesterday at his store and he confirmed that UPS basically said 'wait and see' until Monday. I trust he shipped it. It showed up when he created the label and then when UPS picked it up. It's in some sort of limbo between the east and west coasts.

Hell yeah man.
That’s my favorite amp of his, that older version
like the one you’re rolling with now💯

You are just like me in getting the cabinet/speaker
buckled down before the rumble goes down.
For me, this REALLY cuts the crap with
“the honeymoon phase”

-Cuz’ the pimp hand be strong around here🤘🏻

Mucho’ Congrats dude!

Untitled.png

happy-dance.gif

Build date: 3/18/2018. Going to plug it in as is first to check full functionality and then will put in the new tubes before doing any tone dialing. Every little detail about this thing screams BAD ASS! (the crosshatching seen on the right side of the picture is a reflection of my window screen)

20230828_111000.jpg

Last edited:
Hell yeah man.
That’s my favorite amp of his.

You're not the first to have mentioned that! Hey, question for you (or anyone else), I'm not used to an amp that has both a send and return level on the loop. Right now I have them both around 2:00-2:30 which balances the volume between loop in/out. Is there a general rule of thumb for how to calibrate the two? My only effect is a Boss DM-2W (which doesn't have an input clip indicator). Should one be full on and then you use just the other to balance the volume? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

web-7-sm.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running both the gain and master on the amp around 11:30, the level of the reactive load at around 10:30, and have a mini Ironman knocking off 10 dB before the speaker cab, so my actual room SPL is only around 65-75 dB - yet even at those levels there's absolutely no mistaking the huge iron in the mids and lows of the Ares. I have a couple 2 x EL84 lunchboxes and at the same SPLs the difference is pretty nuts.

IMG_3896.jpg

I'm running both the gain and master on the amp around 11:30, the level of the reactive load at around 10:30, and have a mini Ironman knocking off 10 dB before the speaker cab, so my actual room SPL is only around 65-75 dB - yet even at those levels there's absolutely no mistaking the huge iron in the mids and lows of the Ares. I have a couple 2 x EL84 lunchboxes and at the same SPLs the difference is pretty nuts.

View attachment 10676
Great work & legit AF findings💯

View attachment 10676

HOLEEEE ... ! Those transformers!

Andy Samberg Yes GIF by The Lonely Island

Not sure if all versions have the socket attached the same? KT88s are possible with a little mod.

20230930_180044.jpg

Back