MXR Carbon Copy

Jarick

Shredder
Just picked one of these up over the weekend and really digging it! I've wanted one of these forever, and had some credit on my GC account, so pulled the trigger.

I like it a lot more than the Walrus Audio ARP-87 I had over the summer when I put my little board together. I expected to pick up the Carbon Copy Deluxe but tried it against the Walrus in the store and wasn't really impressed. The Walrus seemed like it would be more versatile because it had different modes. But in reality, the tone never sat right with me, sounding stale and boring. Ended up using my HX Stomp delays until I purged most of my pedal gear.

The regular Carbon Copy seems like it has more character than the Deluxe, and way more character than the Walrus pedal did. I'm running it into the front of my Axe FX 3 and the "dark" repeats actually sit about perfect. It doesn't sound too dark or distorted or anything. The modulation sounds awesome, a lot like a Memory Man. Compared to the Fractal version of the CC, the real thing has a little more warmth and low end. Also, it's really neat as an analog pedal, you can get it to self-oscillate and do spaceship noises and everything, which I couldn't do with the Walrus.

Also another little thing, I like the switch on the MXR. It's a little softer click than the EHX and Friedman pedals I have.

I'm going to keep the little board together to run into my Cat 60 and if I ever try out another tube amp.

I used my Carbon Copy so much that the chips got toasted and MXR repaired it for free - years after I bought it. Sold it to a good friend because the HX Adriadic Delay does that Scientist "spaceship has landed" sound perfectly.

Carbon Copy is definitely a modern classic. Perfect utilitarian analog delay

How's the Deluxe compare to the OG?

The deluxe blows IMO. I thought it was going to be epic, but it was just a disappointment. Some really weird design choices in there too, like when the mix knob is all the way up you max out at 50:50 dry/delay signal :wat so much wasted potential on the deluxe. I traded mine to a guy + cash on his end for a regular CC and came out the winner for sure lol

For a souped up analog delay, the way huge supa puss is where its at

The deluxe blows IMO. I thought it was going to be epic, but it was just a disappointment. Some really weird design choices in there too, like when the mix knob is all the way up you max out at 50:50 dry/delay signal :wat so much wasted potential on the deluxe. I traded mine to a guy + cash on his end for a regular CC and came out the winner for sure lol

That sucks. My guitarist has the regular CC and it sounds great. For some reason; I look at it and always think it's an EHX pedal (I have no idea why that is) and I immediately get worried about it (because EHX) then come back to my senses when I re-realize it's MXR :rofl

as with anything, i think it depends on the individual guitar, BUT every murphy lab i have played has been a great instrument, which i would expect at that price range.

I gotta agree with SoS on this one, I wasn't that impressed with the CC Deluxe (or the CC Bright for that matter). The original is where its at, and if it ain't broke... :idk

The CC is a great vintage sounding delay. I ended up getting rid of mine and replacing it with a tc electronics alter ego v2 simply because the CC would not go full wet on the repeats. Still miss it sometimes.

For some reason the CC Deluxe was like a watered down CC, rather than a CC with tap tempo and modulation controls.

Even the dark/bright modes weren't all that great. The standard CC seems like it's just dialed into the sweet spot, at least for a modern analog bucket brigade style pedal.

Truth. I just sold mine after it sat for a year on Reverb. I approve of the Supa Puss
recommendation. That Mix knob on that is kind of the opposite of the CC DLX.
Funny how people can complain about both of those for totally opposite reasons.
I bet Jorge is like. :facepalm

:LOL:

Get that sugar drive!

I might have ordered a low priced used 5150 overdrive today.

Surprisingly, the Friedman BE OD Deluxe into the Axe FX 3 sounds really damn good. I'm running a JCM 800 amp sim set fairly clean. But it's noisy as hell and I don't need two channels. The 5150 overdrive with the built in gate seems like it could be pretty sweet.

I might have ordered a low priced used 5150 overdrive today.

Surprisingly, the Friedman BE OD Deluxe into the Axe FX 3 sounds really damn good. I'm running a JCM 800 amp sim set fairly clean. But it's noisy as hell and I don't need two channels. The 5150 overdrive with the built in gate seems like it could be pretty sweet.

the 5150 OD is fucking awesome. definitely the best sounding most brutal distortion pedal I've played

you could still probably get a sugar drive without overlapping the 5150 :rofl

the 5150 OD is f*****g awesome. definitely the best sounding most brutal distortion pedal I've played

you could still probably get a sugar drive without overlapping the 5150 :rofl

Enablers!

Right now I have the Friedman be deluxe and a nux pedal which is a tube screamer and blues breaker in one. I don’t really want or need four drive options so I could happily scale down to a higher gain and a low drive boost.

Again, all for fun here…not a real serious pedalboard.

Again, all for fun here…not a real serious pedalboard.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

This post brings back some memories. I grabbed a used CC from guitar center the first time we toured the states and loved it. Sold it after I got a Timefactor but always missed it. GAS!

Back