Multi-fx pedal choice

Sandflyer

Hello,

I am looking for a multi effect with an emphasis on long delays and reverb / modulation effects, but I also want to have a choice of the usual "rock" effects (overdrives, compression, filters) and amp / cab sims, although this is not my first priority.
I currently own a Zoom G7.1ut - the draw was the 5 second delay. They seem to have abandoned this since, as the longest delay time available these days on their units is 4 seconds.
I'm not on a particularly tight budget, but I'd be happier to stay below ca. 600 $ US.

The reason I'm turning to you for help is that some manufacturers simply don't provide the delay time info in their manuals and effects lists. Perhaps there's also a piece of hardware that I'm simply not aware of - I don't really follow the market all the time, only when I become interested in something.
I've come to understand that this community is not very fond of Zoom :p and I've read that CPU overload is an issue with units like the G2 Four.

I looked at these: Zoom G11, Headrush Core, Line 6 HX Effects, some Boss units, but also the MS-CDR70+ and some exotic pedals like Strymon Nightsky and the like (yes, I know they're just delay/reverb effects).

So - I would prefer to have one box, but this is not a must. I only play at home so live performance aspects are not a priority (sturdiness, extensive patch programming like the Headrush). Small size is nice to have, expression pedal I can live without.
I thought about perhaps going the software route, but... nah, twiddling real buttons on the fly is more fun.

My main bag is mostly Frippertronics-like ambient loopy stuff, but I've been known to play straight rock in 4/4 time a few times as well.
Many thanks for pointers, tips and ideas.

For a list of the Line 6 effects this site might help:

If you’re looking at HX Effects, also consider the StompXL if you want a smaller form factor.

I have a lot of fun doing ambient stuff with the Stomp and PodGo.

No, 4 seconds is "a passable minimum" ;) but I cannot find this information on Fluid Solo :/

In case you're also using a DAW program, you could possibly try out the Helix Native demo.
Whatever, most delays allow for 4 seconds max. delay time, some are limited to 2s and I just noticed that the ping pong delay does 8, but they seem to be "shared" between left and right.

If you're mostly into Frippertronics, consider buying a dedicated programmable delay and integrating it into your multi-fx unit. Get an unit with MIDI and a movable effects loop so you can place the delay wherever you want in the chain and send program changes.

For delay pedals with long delay times:

Boss DD-500, Eventide Rose, Strymon Timeline and Free The Tone Future Factory offer 10 seconds delay.

TC Flashback X4 and 2290 have 7 seconds.

All these pedals have MIDI so they can be easily integrated into any multi-fx setup.

Then there is the old Boss DD-20. It has no MIDI but the delay goes up to 23 seconds on all modes!!

And the ultimate Frippertronics pedal would be the Expedition Electronics 60 Seconds Deluxe. Also no MIDI, but it's easy to manipulate with the footswitches and offers 60 Seconds of delay as the name implies.

Last edited:
@GuitarBilly74 Yeah, thanks, I'm aware of the Boss and other dedicated long delays, but the problem is that my old Zoom has no effect loop and, after all these years it sounds kinda wonky - technology has moved ahead and I sort of wanted to move up with the times. I don't need extreme delay times - I was thinking 6-8 seconds would be enough. The problem with Strymon and some others is that they cost a big chunk of what the Stomp costs - initially I was thinking to get one of the cheap Zooms and a dedicated delay, but the discussions here and elswhere turned me off.
Another thing about the Stomp and the MS-CDR70+ and G11 is that they have stereo inputs - I may want that sometime.

@Sascha Franck - I don't use, or even have a DAW at this point. My approach (misguided or not) was always to generate whatever sound "wet".

///

Right now the Stomp or Stomp XL look attractive, although a bit on the expensive side.

Last edited:
Right now the Stomp or Stomp XL look attractive, although a bit on the expensive side.
The line6 line is where I would look. Im in the same boat aka. studio hermit who does ambient guitar, but still likes to jam to backing tracks from 60s to 90s rock. I have a helix LT and it covers EVERYTHING I need and then some. With the smaller Helix pedals stomp/XL, you get less blocks and limited routing, but effects and amp/cab modeling is the same as what you get in the full helix. While boss individual delay in reverb pedals may cut the mustard, I find the multi effects pedals somewhat limiting and not quite what I would look for to do ambient stuff. I've had a Boss GT 10, and also currently have a Boss GT 100, and really struggle with the delays and reverbs for any of the extensive or specialty type effects to do ambient guitar. Used Helix LTs can be found used in the 7 to $800 range if you can swing the extra dinero, you would not likely want for anything.

Stomp XL is a killer multi effect but I have no idea about max delay times, I don't think I've ever gone past 600 ms to be honest.

@mrchevy Thanks for the heads-up - I'm on the other side of the Atlantic - so shipping (and probable duty) don't make this feasible I think.
@TwistedTape - yeah, but I don't need that much (likewise the Expedition Electronics).

OK, I found this: https://line6.com/support/topic/62796-maximum-delay-times-for-different-delay-models/#comment-411304

If someone doesn't like clicking links, they say:
"The max delay times for most models is 8 seconds in mono/4 seconds in stereo. I think the only exceptions are delays based on BBD chips or tape delays, and those vary. All of the Legacy delays are currently limited to 2 seconds."

If this is indeed true, then I would probably go with the Stomp XL. Probably overkill in terms of available effects, but I would be set for life...
And there's a fun looper function, which, when overdubbing, makes each new pass quieter:
"Relatively" sets the level of your loop while overdubbing. For example, if your Overdub Level is set to 90%, each time your loop repeats, its volume will be reduced by 10%, sounding quieter and quieter with each overdub pass.

I could think of some ways of putting this to good use.

Last edited:
@mrchevy Thanks for the heads-up - I'm on the other side of the Atlantic - so shipping (and probable duty) don't make this feasible I think.
@TwistedTape - yeah, but I don't need that much (likewise the Expedition Electronics).

OK, I found this: https://line6.com/support/topic/62796-maximum-delay-times-for-different-delay-models/#comment-411304

If someone doesn't like clicking links, they say:
"The max delay times for most models is 8 seconds in mono/4 seconds in stereo. I think the only exceptions are delays based on BBD chips or tape delays, and those vary. All of the Legacy delays are currently limited to 2 seconds."

If this is indeed true, then I would probably go with the Stomp XL. Probably overkill in terms of available effects, but I would be set for life...
And there's a fun looper function, which, when overdubbing, makes each new pass quieter:
"Relatively" sets the level of your loop while overdubbing. For example, if your Overdub Level is set to 90%, each time your loop repeats, its volume will be reduced by 10%, sounding quieter and quieter with each overdub pass.

I could think of some ways of putting this to good use.
robert redford yes GIF

OK, many thanks for your input and ideas. Getting back to Roses and Expeditions, if (when?) I decide to go further, I would probably be looking at some exotic stuff like Habit and/or Mood.
Many thanks again, I hope to stick around.
(and, although nobody asked - definitely dill, except not in vinegar, but the Eastern European variety - "developed" in brine with garlic, horseradish and oak or cherry leaves :cool: )

Last edited:
Back