Modest Mouse: Please explain, I do not get it.

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I see a pretty big following for this band. I cant seem to make it past like 37 seconds of any of their material. Wassup?

I see a pretty big following for this band. I cant seem to make it past like 37 seconds of any of their material. Wassup?
I never liked them until this album.. and I don't like much after it.. but I can listen to this from beginning to end

They suck and stuff.

End of story.

ICP got a huge following but you’ll never see me in the dark woods swigging that foul soda to listen to em.

Some bands aren’t for some people.

I’m with you though; 37 seconds of a MM song is like 30 seconds too long for me…

This is the one I just tried before making my post.
Haha.

A buddy of mine that is a big fan turned me on to this album because the guitarist is from some other band that I can't remember.

I think that made the difference for me

They suck and stuff.

End of story.

ICP got a huge following but you’ll never see me in the dark woods swigging that foul soda to listen to em.

Some bands aren’t for some people.

I’m with you though; 37 seconds of a MM song is like 30 seconds too long for me…

I have a pretty open mind but this band I can't do it. Same with like Mumford and Sons and Ed Sheeran and more I cant think of right now. lets of folks into Jeff Buckley too and I cant even do 37 seconds of his stuff.

Back in the 80's I was in a band with a hippy chick lead singer. She turned me onto all sorts of cool stuff, music and otherwise. But she said that everything had been done when it came to music, and I disagreed. And still do. But I understood her point.

Someone posted a band that I'd never heard, and I checked it out. But all I heard was a re-hashed, classic rock type song. Even the video was a lame throw back.

Overall, and this is just my personal belief, but I think lots of bands are just purposely trying different things. And I'm not talking about taking a few different styles and influences the songwriter may have, and just blending them, because that's simply what inspires him/her. I'm talking about just doing weird shit in the hopes that something will stick to the wall. I really believe that's what's happening in a lot of music these days.

And you know, on the one hand, this may be exactly what Bohemian Rhapsody sounded like to some people. So one person's "trying weird-ass shit" may be another's "musical masterpiece." Who's to say? But I still wouldn't crack eggshells into a sauce, trying to come up with some new flavor.

@TSJMajesty ’I'm talking about just doing weird s**t in the hopes that something will stick to the wall.’

Dude that’s EXACTLY what MM sounds like to me. Zero musical quality, just…‘I’ve been in bands trying this for ten years ripping my heart out and it never worked. Let’s do some weird shit.’

And it worked…

EDIT: I want this to be clear….to ME, everyone trying is an artist. If you’re breaking your ass and it’s coming from a real place, good job and I’ll never talk down to you or about you. I’m not saying that at ALL.

This is just for me; not all bands find an audience with all people, just like not all people are fans of abstract art or neoclassicism.

To me MM sucks but hey, get yours!

Last edited:
There are sorta two eras of Modest Mouse. There’s the mid to late 90’s version which is a bit more rock oriented and lofi. Definitely a 90’s indie vibe that you’ll either love or hate immediately. Then there’s the Good News For People Who Love Bad News and onward era. I actually thought it was cool they had a little moment in pop culture. They were one of the last bands I would have ever expected to break through from that era of indie music. (Which MM were sorta legends in that scene at the time) I never much cared for anything they did after Good News, but when in the right mood I still dig some of that really early stuff…

They have some cool stuff, and are a decent live act to catch as long as whats his face isnt too drunk

I caught covid after avoiding it for 2 years from all the custies at their show a couple months ago. Was going to dirty wook shows all year without issue. Essential oils work, no cap.

My best friend is a big fan of these guys, he‘s big into Sunny Day Real Estate, Me Without You, Hum, etc….the proto-emo stuff that I just dismiss as emo and give him sh*t for. I’ve tried, for a while actually, to get into a lot of that stuff, I just can’t do it. I don’t know if it’s the, seemingly, lack of catchy melodies in practically all of it or the overall feel, just doesn’t grab me.

My best friend is a big fan of these guys, he‘s big into Sunny Day Real Estate, Me Without You, Hum, etc….the proto-emo stuff that I just dismiss as emo and give him sh*t for. I’ve tried, for a while actually, to get into a lot of that stuff, I just can’t do it. I don’t know if it’s the, seemingly, lack of catchy melodies in practically all of it or the overall feel, just doesn’t grab me.

There is nothing remotely emo about Hum, and they are in an entirely different lane/genre/league than those bands. We will fight to the death if you say a bad word about them. JK/NR :rofl

whoa whoa whoa hold on a second...... Hum is AMAZING. have you listened to their latest album Inlet? they are next level awesome.

whoa whoa whoa hold on a second...... Hum is AMAZING. have you listened to their latest album Inlet? they are next level awesome.

When Inlet came out, before hitting play, I took a nervous deep breath and begged the music gods for it to be a good album. :ROFLMAO: It’s not going to eclipse their early albums, but I was proud and relieved when I got done listening to it. It’s a fine addition to their catalog after 25 years off.

Back