ML Sound Lab "Reflex" IRs

When he says “mix ready” he means it will sound good in a mix with GGD drum presets, Djinn Bass, and boosted 5150 amp sims.
not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

Listening to the clip above...eh, I actually prefer what GuitarJon has used in his other videos (I think mostly YA and OwnHammer Rockbox IRs?)

"Everyone loves the big 4x12 closed back sound" :idea

But they don't sit in a mix so we've shot IRs in a cab nobody has because...

"a modern guitarist's first priority is a high quality miked up guitar tone"
high quality GIF

"Reflex IRs are ML Sounds Lab's "FRFR" IR solution." :barf

It's not post processing, it's pre processing
:rollsafe

How can “sits in a mix better” be a quantifiable term?
It is not. I've been saying it's a meaningless phrase for going on two decades now. It's duuuuhhhhhmmmmbbbb.
it’s unbelievably context dependent and varies on so much more than just an IR.
Yup. One man's "mix ready" is another man's "hurl-inducing."
The design of a cabinet has absolutely zero bearing on how well something sits in a mix, pretending otherwise is delusional.
I'm in violent agreement.
Maybe next we’ll have mix ready pickups, strings, cables, amps, amp sims, EQ’s and a mix ready backing back to go with it.
"Mix ready" sounds to me like something a marketing guy would say about a cake-making kit.

The standing wave interferance at 500-600hz of typical 4x12 cabs is part of their sound, I don't want to remove that.

That was my first thought upon reading the OP.

This is just a different cab. I might like it better than a 412 for certain things, but if I want the sound of a 412 I’ll still use a 412 IR.

D

The guy is just a slimey, terrible salesman. Blows my mind how anyone gives him any business.
Fairly rough opinion of the guy, Seems like a good dude and the freebies they give out like ml roots, mikko2 free and their drum thing are used by tons of people for $0 to wet their beaks in recording plugins.

I may not be into the hype of reflex IRs or some of their other products, but he seems pretty knowledgeable and has a large amount of general info videos not selling stuff on youtube

I dunno he seems cool enough doing his own thing, just feels like an ultra low blow calling him slimey just cause he’s selling stuff you might not be into. There’s actual slimey dudes out there and he’s not one of them imo (far from it honestly)

Fairly rough opinion of the guy, Seems like a good dude and the freebies they give out like ml roots, mikko2 free and their drum thing are used by tons of people for $0 to wet their beaks in recording plugins.

I may not be into the hype of reflex IRs or some of their other products, but he seems pretty knowledgeable and has a large amount of general info videos not selling stuff on youtube

I dunno he seems cool enough doing his own thing, just feels like an ultra low blow calling him slimey just cause he’s selling stuff you might not be into. There’s actual slimey dudes out there and he’s not one of them imo (far from it honestly)
FWIW, Mikko has been a pretty prolific poster on the Fractal Forum and other places and slowly transitioned from an interested and active user to a developer of commercial content/products. He has always had a pretty hyperbolic delivery and sometimes will speak with authority on stuff he is pretty expert on as well as stuff he only half understands; some other forum long timers here may have varying opinions on him due to participating in many threads with him in the past.

I'd guess his heart is in the right place much of the time but he is also a natural marketer and as mentioned does not always seem to know what he does and doesn't understand; which is going to result in a lot of over the top claims and clickbait type language. Combine that with a commercial stake/objective and ML Sound Lab is what you get, for better or worse.

I think most of it is half baked, personally; but YMMV.

Last edited:
Back