ML Sound Lab Reflex IRs

So apparently this is a "new" format of IRs that ML Sound Lab has developed with Zilla Cabs. https://ml-sound-lab.com/pages/reflex-irs

I'm quite intrigued by the whole "FRFR"-friednly IRs thing. Usually such claims often fall flat (no pun intended) when it comes to IRs, but maybe there is something here. I've bought one of the packs because I'm usually a fan of everything that ML do in the IR-domain, but I'm a bit sceptical with this one. (I'm on vacation so can't try it out for a few days)

The graphs on the web page look interesting but not sure if the lack of that 500-ish Hz spike (usually found on 4x12 cabs) is a good thing or not.

The sounds are pretty clear without mixing, and pricing isn't bad.

My only hesitation is, do I really need more IR's? Even though it's a very important part of the sound chain.

Last edited:
I don't mind MIKKO but I question his strategies for software packages. He released Mikko2 a while back and now it just sits there. It was supposed to be his be all and end all IR solution. It doesn't receive updates or new microphones or cabinets. No version upgrades or features. He seems to create things and then just move on to something else with no care for supporting products further. He has amps, IRs, drum packs, mix packs, an IR speaker solution... It all seems like piece work. None of it is great but it could be with vision. Why in the world would he offer new IR packs when he could integrate them into current offerings to beef them up? Make a true all in one IR solution that imports other IRs. Make one amp vst that loads all of the amps and uses all of the cabinets and effects.

Last edited:
I don't mind MIKKO but I question his strategies for software packages. He released Mikko2 a while back and now it just sits there. It was supposed to be his be all and end all IR solution. It doesn't receive updates or new microphones or cabinets. No version upgrades or features. He seems to create things and then just move on to something else with no care for supporting products further. He has amps, IRs, drum packs, mix packs, an IR speaker solution... It all seems like piece work. None of it is great but it could be with vision. Why in the world would he offer new IR packs when he could integrate them into current offerings to beef them up? Make a true all in one IR solution that imports other IRs. Make one amp vst that loads all of the amps and uses all of the cabinets and effects.
ML Sound Lab is a tiny I think 2 people company. So they will have to choose carefully what they want to do.

MIKKO 1 actually worked exactly like you mention, they sold additional cabs for it. With MIKKO 2, they released all those cabs as part of the suite. It has 38 cabs, which is a ton, but it is also woefully lacking in smaller cabs.

I asked in the video comments if they're planning to offer these new cabs with MIKKO 2 and they said they are considering it. I guess the time it takes to make one of those cabs is quite significant because there's 8 different mics and the full cone and even mic angles are captured.

ML Sound Lab is a tiny I think 2 people company. So they will have to choose carefully what they want to do.

MIKKO 1 actually worked exactly like you mention, they sold additional cabs for it. With MIKKO 2, they released all those cabs as part of the suite. It has 38 cabs, which is a ton, but it is also woefully lacking in smaller cabs.

I asked in the video comments if they're planning to offer these new cabs with MIKKO 2 and they said they are considering it. I guess the time it takes to make one of those cabs is quite significant because there's 8 different mics and the full cone and even mic angles are captured.
Yep, I have a lot of his stuff. Unfortunately his stuff isn't as great as he advertises it to be and if he overextends himself, that isn't my fault. If you own a busy company, you hire people. His approach got tiresome years ago, way back when he gave out the "BEST IR IN THE WORLD ML".
Well, if that were the case, we wouldn't need any others Mikko but keep feeding us more BS.
Like I said his products aren't bad but his advertising makes me feel like I'm being duped.

There's already a thread for this.

Tbh that’s been my main IR ever since. I have others that I blend in for different flavours but 90% of the time that IR for me is my go-to.
It's not bad actually. In fact if it's your "go to" then great. My point was based on the silly name and the fact that if that were true then Mikko wouldn't have to make any others. For me I think his MOFO offering is tops although I prefer OH and recently the Giocomo Pasquali HRTG/Mesab collection.

It's not bad actually. In fact if it's your "go to" then great. My point was based on the silly name and the fact that if that were true then Mikko wouldn't have to make any others. For me I think his MOFO offering is tops although I prefer OH and recently the Giocomo Pasquali HRTG/Mesab collection.
I think you are taking marketing way too seriously. Pretty much everyone does excessive superlatives for their products. Calling it "the best" will at least make people try it and then go rant about how it's not the best on forums. Which is better than calling it "I think it's a kinda nice IR please try it if it's not too much of a bother" where people will just shrug and few will give it a chance.

I've so far bought MIKKO 1 + some cab packs, MIKKO 2 (with heavy discounts as a previous owner of MIKKO 1) and the ML5 Mesa Mark V amp sim. I've thought all delivered what they advertised. I mostly wanted MIKKO 2 for the UI improvements, just wish there were more smaller cab options as it's lopsided towards 4x12 V30 cabs.

do I really need more IR's?

No Way Do Not Want GIF

Back