Minor keys - do they really exist?

spawnofthesith

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Modes aren't keys, so why does the aeolian mode get special treatment?

Awkward 90S GIF

B aeolian

We're confusing modes and scales. The original modes were created/named/identified in relation to the C major scale.
The millions of musicians since that time have mashed up terminologies for convenience sake.

wrong: B aeolian applies to D major

right: B minor is relative to D major

BUT, again, what I labeled wrong would be perfectly understandable and considered correct to most musos.

P.S. I could easily be 100% off base since I'm posting via memory cells I haven't used since 8th grade music theory class back in 1974...... :LOL:

Last edited:
Huh? :idk Modes definitely have tonalities, and you can construct majour or minour
chords out of them---as with any scale.

They are far from neutral, though. Myxolydian, for instance, has a majour tonality due to the
Majour 3rd interval. That is unlike Aeolian, which has a Minour tonality, due to the flatted 3rd.

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

:rofl

Huh? :idk Modes definitely have tonalities, and you can construct majour or minour
chords out of them---as with any scale.

They are far from neutral, though. Myxolydian, for instance, has a majour tonality due to the
Majour 3rd interval. That is unlike Aeolian, which has a Minour tonality, due to the flatted 3rd.

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

:rofl

Right, but I’ve never heard someone say “this song is in the key of of F# locrian”

I’m trying to deduce why the aeolian mode gets special status as getting to be described as a “key” when none when none of the other modes do (aside from Ionian obviously)

Major or Minor
Happy or Sad
Ionian or Aeolian

Maybe it's simply a case of those two being most popular?

Last edited:
Actually what I said is not totally true my bass player often likes to describe a songs key based on what he perceives as the modality of the chord progression, but we don’t always see eye to eye on what he’s identifying as such :LOL:

Back