Favorite Modulation Effect?

Yep, the poster child for univibe!

Along with the master and his Band of Gypsies live stuff!

:headbang

Jimi%2BHendrix%2B-%2BBand%2Bof%2BGypsys%2B%2528front%2529.jpg

Def chorus! Clean for sure, and a touch in the right context with distortion, like a full barre, sus2 chord!! :chef

Loved chorus the first time I heard a Boss CE2, and the ADA MP-1 had a stereo chorus built in that was so good!

But like anything else that you really love the sound of, ya gotta be careful not to overdo, or over-use, it.

Soooo much terrible chorus stuff in the 80s. The Edge had everyone overusing dotted 8th delays
and Andy Summers did the same for chorus.
Back in the 90's I used one of those Marshall Valvestate combos for a time, I think it was the 8280. Mainly used it as a clean platform for wah and phaser and would only use the chorus as a boost/flavor for leads. :grin
It had a great stereo chorus sound though.

Clean: HEAVY chorus. I love it. I think it sucks for distortion.

As of effects nothing beats a Roland Jazz Chorus itself. The Boss Dimension is also nice

Distorted: LIGHT Phaser. No Phase90. Don't like that.

Favorite: my Stereo Poly Chorus RI from the late 90's

But it's huge and wacky and old and wants 24V, so it's not on the board.

No love for ring modulation? When you want weird, except no substitutes.
I never "learned" ring mod.

What the secret to getting good sounds out of them - do you tune the pitch to taste?

Bought a really old vintage EHX Frequency Analyzer (with Ram's Head logo!) a few years ago, for 30€ at a pawn shop, because they didn't know what they had.

Didn't like it at all, and sold it on to a collector for a pretty good price that made both sides happy.

I never "learned" ring mod.

What the secret to getting good sounds out of them - do you tune the pitch to taste?

Bought a really old vintage EHX Frequency Analyzer (with Ram's Head logo!) a few years ago, for 30€ at a pawn shop, because they didn't know what they had.

Didn't like it at all, and sold it on to a collector for a pretty good price that made both sides happy.

Lots of different sounds can be made. From tremolo to metal grinding effects. Typically just a little wet in the mix is best. Too much is often too crazy and that's where ring mod gets a bad rap. Fixed pitch is good for tremolo. Variable pitch tracking for leads and riffs.

Ring mod isn't instant love. I used to hate it. But over time, I've experimented with it and found many sweet spots. It can sound especially glorious in stereo applications.

No love for ring modulation? When you want weird, except no substitutes.
I've never used it in a live, pedal board setup (even though I have the sound in a BitQuest). But I have used it in post as a subtle effect in a mix. It's a very interesting effect that can do a lot of things when you start tweaking.

I've never used it in a live, pedal board setup (even though I have the sound in a BitQuest). But I have used it in post as a subtle effect in a mix. It's a very interesting effect that can do a lot of things when you start tweaking.

Alan Morse from Spock's Beard uses one all the time. Check him out sometime.

I am a phaser and vibe fan.

4 stage phasing is the sweet spot for me. Small Stone phasing on cleans is my favorite. I want to eventually get a Phase 90 for VH and a Boss PH-2 (more stages) for Incubus distorted phasing.

The Behringer VB-2 clone has held up as my main vibrato pedal. Also have a Danelectro Chicken Salad for budget univibe sounds to pair with strats.

The Small Clone is good enough for chorus when I want to reach for it.

Back