Favorite Modulation Effect?

Chorus. I’ve always liked Chorus on clean guitars. I had never really explored the use of Chorus on high-gain tones until watching an Intervals rig rundown, and I do that a lot now too.

The more I play with flanger the more I like it. On clean guitar with low settings it's a nicer chorus than chorus. o_O
I fell for the prejudice that flanger is just jet swish simulator a la Van-Halen/Barracuda, that's actually the least useful sound in a flanger.

I had a similar flanger revelation a few months ago.

I never really did much modulation outside of modulated reverbs and delays and tremolo. Made a decision to force myself to use them more the last year just to explore them and see what I learned in the process.

Chorus and rotary have been standouts for me. Ive overplayed the rotary sounds so im cutting back on that for the minute. The chorus sounds have been super fun, especially relatively fast and deep ones as a special effect on simple single note lines. Subtle flanging has got a lot of use too. Phase comes and goes it’s just not really my thing. Vibrato is great.

If I had to pick the one big winner it’s probably chorus just for its versatility, or a flanger that can get chorusy.

D

At this point my preference is Modulation on a Delay Pedal/Block.... like
something Deluxe Memory Man ish. Tons of other options that come
with built-in Modulation, too.

I've also used only the Modulation and Preamp on a DMM to great effect.
Really cool Vibrato and Chorusing depending on where you have the switch
set.

@laxu How's the Zelzah?

Out of the three fundamental modulation effects (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser) I think a good Phaser is the hardest to find the right one.
My Phase 90 leaves a lot to be desired, and that's after script mods and internal bias and depth tweaking, it also distorts quite heavily with humbuckers.
The Boss BF-3 and CH-1 sound great and are very versatile, I don't feel the need to upgrade these ever, but the Boss PH-3 is crap and the Phase 90 is a classic but meh.

In search for a good swirl.

(y)

dry_bell_vibe_machine_v3_01-S2A1hjSjqTZvzKdlr7QW0t1RXbR2x3GU.jpg

@laxu How's the Zelzah?

Out of the three fundamental modulation effects (Chorus, Flanger, Phaser) I think a good Phaser is the hardest to find the right one.
My Phase 90 leaves a lot to be desired, and that's after script mods and internal bias and depth tweaking, it also distorts quite heavily with humbuckers.
The Boss BF-3 and CH-1 sound great and are very versatile, I don't feel the need to upgrade these ever, but the Boss PH-3 is crap and the Phase 90 is a classic but meh.

I'll start with the caveat that I'm not super picky about my modulation effects.

I think it's definitely underrated as a multi-modulation pedal. If I compare the flanger/chorus sounds to my Deco V2, the Deco is more subtle, whereas the Zelzah has more prominent "effectness" to its sound. I have a hard time picking which I prefer.

I think the coolest feature on the Zelzah is the Voice knob, because it answers the question of "do I want a phaser, flanger or chorus?" by just adjusting it with everything else left as is. I sometimes find the chorus end of the knob a bit harder to adjust with the rest of the controls so it doesn't get into seasick wobbles.

There's certainly a lot to pick for phaser sounds alone. 4-stage, 4-stage barber pole, 6-stage, both stages together in series or parallel...

You can even split the two sides of the pedal and run two mono phasers in different places in your signal chain if you want. I should give this a spin to put the 6-stage before my delay and reverb in the fx loop and the 4-stage up front.

The 4-stage also does a good vibrato and autowah.

I prefer either chorus or phaser but use them sparingly. For higher gain tones I like a slow medium depth chorus mixed in lightly for adding thickness… and spread if in stereo.

I’m a modulation into dirt guy and I do it all. Phasers, Vibes, Flanger, Chorus.

The more I play with flanger the more I like it. On clean guitar with low settings it's a nicer chorus than chorus. o_O
I fell for the prejudice that flanger is just jet swish simulator a la Van-Halen/Barracuda, that's actually the least useful sound in a flanger.

I had a similar flanger revelation a few months ago.

I never really did much modulation outside of modulated reverbs and delays and tremolo. Made a decision to force myself to use them more the last year just to explore them and see what I learned in the process.

Chorus and rotary have been standouts for me. Ive overplayed the rotary sounds so im cutting back on that for the minute. The chorus sounds have been super fun, especially relatively fast and deep ones as a special effect on simple single note lines. Subtle flanging has got a lot of use too. Phase comes and goes it’s just not really my thing. Vibrato is great.

If I had to pick the one big winner it’s probably chorus just for its versatility, or a flanger that can get chorusy.

D
If you start going down the flanger rabbit hole, look into the MXR-117. Not the reissue. The only clone I’m aware of is the PastFx Hot for Flanger and it nails my 70s original.

That pedal can do phaser type sounds, chorus, flange, weird filtered ring modulated sounds…absolutely incredible.

For great flange tone listening, IMO there is none greater than Adam Jones’ tones on Aenema. Everything from super subtle to over the top flange, all from a BF-2.

Phaser. I have a Spaceman Explorer with exp pedal (paired with an Artemis) in front and an EQD Grand Orbiter in the FX loop - and still GAS for a Zelzah!

Maybe 'coz I'm also really enjoying the Ultraviolet. And the DECO II for Chorus/Flanger.

I guress I just like Modulation of almost any flavour. Or Spaceman and Strymon ...

Back