LVX granular loops and textures!

I think if you checked my band out it would probably make sense.

I know I’ve checked your stuff out before and it’s all in my happy vein, as well as my listening tastes, but for some reason I never thought to see if it was on iTunes and all that jazz, now you’ll be my soundtrack to road rage on my 1.3 mile (mini-km) drive to work!

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 5.05.10 PM.jpeg

Yeah I get you. I think if you checked my band out it would probably make sense. I'm playing my guitar, of course I am. But the ambience/atmosphere is a core part of the music, rather than just a bit of spice thrown over the top, if that makes sense?
Makes sense! I love making ambient noises too, but I'm a poser and like easier tools that don't have me jumping out of my guitar playing brain.
I genuinely don't think the Axe III could do that tone at the end of the video. You can definitely do some huge ambient pad things though, no question. A lot of the time on the Axe III, you can really just get away with loading a Cumulonimbus reverb (for example, picked it because it is one of my favourites!) and then crank the time parameter to 20 seconds or so, and the mix parameter to above 50% ... and you'll get a very nice wash. But anything that is a bit more complex and requires parallel paths and expression pedal control and all the rest of it... just a bit more difficult.
I actually agree with all this. But just warning @dk_ace that you made it look easy and it still took 20 minutes :bag

But just warning @dk_ace that you made it look easy and it still took 20 minutes :bag
In fairness, there are 5 or 6 different variations in the video. But yeah... I mean, 20minutes of creativity over 1 hour of fucking around with virtual cables and block channels. I think I'll take that tbh!

I had a session with the MercuryX tonight. Tons of amazing sounds in that too.

Right....

1707959884115.png

Slight tangent to the main topic of the thread. But all I've done this evening is think about pedals I could get to get the tones I want. This would basically be me set for the next 10 years (he laughs at himself as he types it!!)

Just having a bit of an issue finding a good board that is 32x17.5inches. Pedaltrain do the new XD-24, but it isn't wide enough and ideally I would have everything on one self contained board which I can just plonk on the floor wherever I go.

HX One pedals keep me connected to the Helix world, give me some effects that I don't want dedicated pedals for - pitch and modulation effects mostly. The Meris pedals give me excellent delays and reverbs, either my Timeline or a Source Audio Nemesis ADT for stacking delays too. Analog EQ in the form of the MXR Ten Band EQ. A pair of drive pedals and a fuzz pedal.

I'd be thinking along these lines on the G3:

Loop 1 - Volume pedal
Loop 2 - Wah pedal
Loop 3 - SD-1w
Loop 4 - 3699 Fuzz
Loop 5 - Tumnus Deluxe
Loop 6 - MXR Ten Band EQ
Loop 7 - HX One (midi channel 2)
Loop 8 - HX One (midi channel 3)
Loop 9 - Nemesis ADT (midi channel 4)
Loop 10 - Meris LVX (midi channel 5)
Loop 11 - Meris MercuryX (midi channel 6)
Loop 12 - Amp Effects Loop (amp would have midi channel 1 always)

Amps effects loop would be loop 12 so that by default everything would be in front of the amp. But of course, the G3 allows re-ordering very easily.

Right....

View attachment 18686

Slight tangent to the main topic of the thread. But all I've done this evening is think about pedals I could get to get the tones I want. This would basically be me set for the next 10 years (he laughs at himself as he types it!!)

Just having a bit of an issue finding a good board that is 32x17.5inches. Pedaltrain do the new XD-24, but it isn't wide enough and ideally I would have everything on one self contained board which I can just plonk on the floor wherever I go.

HX One pedals keep me connected to the Helix world, give me some effects that I don't want dedicated pedals for - pitch and modulation effects mostly. The Meris pedals give me excellent delays and reverbs, either my Timeline or a Source Audio Nemesis ADT for stacking delays too. Analog EQ in the form of the MXR Ten Band EQ. A pair of drive pedals and a fuzz pedal.

I'd be thinking along these lines on the G3:

Loop 1 - Volume pedal
Loop 2 - Wah pedal
Loop 3 - SD-1w
Loop 4 - 3699 Fuzz
Loop 5 - Tumnus Deluxe
Loop 6 - MXR Ten Band EQ
Loop 7 - HX One (midi channel 2)
Loop 8 - HX One (midi channel 3)
Loop 9 - Nemesis ADT (midi channel 4)
Loop 10 - Meris LVX (midi channel 5)
Loop 11 - Meris MercuryX (midi channel 6)
Loop 12 - Amp Effects Loop (amp would have midi channel 1 always)

Amps effects loop would be loop 12 so that by default everything would be in front of the amp. But of course, the G3 allows re-ordering very easily.
Two HX Ones instead of a Stomp or Effects?

Two HX Ones instead of a Stomp or Effects?
Yeah. Think the HX One switches presets much quicker. But this needs to be confirmed before I commit. Easier to program too. I don't need the flexibility of the Stomp or Effects; I just need some workhorse pedals that I can switch presets on fast enough from the G3.

I just got back from a jam with some new guys who I might form a band with.

I took my MW Dual Rectifier and my Egnater cab. I also had my GigRig G3 pedalboard, with the two Meris pedals.

I don't think I've ever been so happy with my tone!!!

Here's a super naff picture:
1708042100596.png

I used the G3 remote switch outputs to change the channels on the Dual Recto. Everything into the front of the amp. My wah off to the side.

It is pretty quick to use. I definitely suggest trying one out. But if you do, buy it from a shop that offers a healthy return period. I think I really learned my lesson about trying complex products in a guitar shop.

I don't mean to rag on the Fractal stuff. I do genuinely love the tones, and I don't find the interface daunting or anything. I really understand how it works. But at the same time, it doesn't feel like a creative space to me at the moment... it feels like obligation, rather than creation.

But don't listen to me, really. I'm so bloody fairweather with my gear. Last month, the Axe III was the thing I was going to fully program and trick out with patches and I was going to move over to that full time and sell the GigRig G3 and I was going to really dedicate myself to Fractal land. But this week?? I feel totally different!

I'd be curious what sort of setup you're imagining there. Here's where I am at as of about 5 minutes ago:
View attachment 18672

Well, I ordered an fm9 today, so we’ll see how it works out for me.

I haven’t gotten that serious about planing it yet, but this is in the spirit of what it would be if I move to g3. Fill in the holes with a random and changing assortment of fuzz and flavor of the month stuff.

IMG_4252.png

Well, I ordered an fm9 today, so we’ll see how it works out for me.

I haven’t gotten that serious about planing it yet, but this is in the spirit of what it would be if I move to g3. Fill in the holes with a random and changing assortment of fuzz and flavor of the month stuff.

View attachment 18832
Oh wow. Which board is that??

That's the first vid I've watched with the LVX that makes me want one. Phenomenal textures mate.

I gigged my Terra board once. Once :oops:

I can’t believe I used it as long and as much as I did. I think I still have it, but the gig bag got lost. Man that thing was heavy. It was during that period where guitar was basically not in the music much anymore and it was all electronica and atmospheric stuff. It was great for that textural, experimental kind of work. Lots of delays, reverbs, pitch stuff before and after the gain stages including some 100% wet options on both ends. It could get wild.

Lately I’m in a bit of a rut, and those kinds of sounds might be what I need to bust out of it into some more interesting space.

D

haha. I had a Diago Tourman board once. It was a giant plywood box. It weighed 10KG empty.

I shoved a ton of pedals into it and one of those Musicomlabs switchers.

I used it once. Hated it. Tore it apart. Sold everything. Started again. LMAO.

Back