LVX granular loops and textures!

I haven’t really looked at the Meris stuff that much, but I’ve been really digging the sounds you’ve been getting out of it.

This morning.... I want to sell my Axe FX III. :wat

I can't help it. I'm just finding even my shitty little prototype board way more inspirational:
1707911060734.png

I had ZERO interest in this pedal. And then I watched about half of your video and realized I shouldn’t have written this pedal off…. There are some really cool textures in there that I’m not sure I could recreate in any device I currently have. Maybe I could squeeze something close out of the FM9 when I get it, but it would probably be a lot more work than it is on the LVX.

D

I had ZERO interest in this pedal. And then I watched about half of your video and realized I shouldn’t have written this pedal off…. There are some really cool textures in there that I’m not sure I could recreate in any device I currently have. Maybe I could squeeze something close out of the FM9 when I get it, but it would probably be a lot more work than it is on the LVX.

D
Honestly.... you can go back about a year or so and see my comments on this pedal, where I'm quite derisive about it.

I had tried it out in a guitar shop for about 20-30minutes, and whilst I liked the sound of the presets.... I really struggled to get my head around it. The shop staff were a bit bothersome too, hovering around me like I was some teenager who didn't have the money anyway, and so I sorta wrote it off as being too expensive for what you get, being too complicated and difficult to use, and just generally not bringing much tonally to the table.

I was 100000% incorrect. Once you get your head around it, this pedal actually makes a lot of sense and has a butt-ton of tones in it that other pedals cannot really do. It is also really good at emulating the sounds you can get with your other pedals.

For example... my Helix "oscillating delay" chain which consists of Adriatic delay (quarter note) into a bucket brigade delay (eighth note) and then into a compressor, EQ, and finally a reverb .... this pedal can do that tone very very closely, all in one preset... complete with spillover too.

So after owning the LVX since the start of November 2023... I've just really really gotten into it. One of the best delay pedals ever made. I even purchased the MercuryX completely sight-unseen recently, because they absolutely won me round.

As for the comparison to the Fractal stuff. There are things in the LVX that the Fractal ecosystem simply doesn't do. But even the stuff it does... it is a bit of a mission to get there. Whereas now for me the LVX feels intuitive... the Fractal I could go really crazy with routing and parallel paths and EQ tweaks in the feedback loop of a delay and all the rest of it... and probably still not get where I wanted to be. The Axe III is cracking gear no doubt. But right now I'm just not feeling the work required.

There you go! Add that to your G3 gas list! :rofl

This morning.... I want to sell my Axe FX III. :wat

I can't help it. I'm just finding even my shitty little prototype board way more inspirational:
View attachment 18658

Knobs. Real time control. :love :chef

You just can't do everything with footswitches and EXP pedals.

I have long felt Fractal should borrow the Synth platform method
of real time actuators.... sliders even... that can be assigned to
control parameters in real time. We have MIDI Controllers for our DAW
that do the same thing and that tech/methodology could be applied
to a Fractal device that is not the FC3/6/12.

Honestly.... you can go back about a year or so and see my comments on this pedal, where I'm quite derisive about it.

I had tried it out in a guitar shop for about 20-30minutes, and whilst I liked the sound of the presets.... I really struggled to get my head around it. The shop staff were a bit bothersome too, hovering around me like I was some teenager who didn't have the money anyway, and so I sorta wrote it off as being too expensive for what you get, being too complicated and difficult to use, and just generally not bringing much tonally to the table.

I was 100000% incorrect. Once you get your head around it, this pedal actually makes a lot of sense and has a butt-ton of tones in it that other pedals cannot really do. It is also really good at emulating the sounds you can get with your other pedals.

For example... my Helix "oscillating delay" chain which consists of Adriatic delay (quarter note) into a bucket brigade delay (eighth note) and then into a compressor, EQ, and finally a reverb .... this pedal can do that tone very very closely, all in one preset... complete with spillover too.

So after owning the LVX since the start of November 2023... I've just really really gotten into it. One of the best delay pedals ever made. I even purchased the MercuryX completely sight-unseen recently, because they absolutely won me round.

As for the comparison to the Fractal stuff. There are things in the LVX that the Fractal ecosystem simply doesn't do. But even the stuff it does... it is a bit of a mission to get there. Whereas now for me the LVX feels intuitive... the Fractal I could go really crazy with routing and parallel paths and EQ tweaks in the feedback loop of a delay and all the rest of it... and probably still not get where I wanted to be. The Axe III is cracking gear no doubt. But right now I'm just not feeling the work required.

About two weeks ago I actually did exactly that, read your old posts about it. Pretty sure I asked you some questions you ignored, too, c*nt!

I want one of these for my pedals-only rig w/ no modeling and one of the first things I thought when watching some review vids was “Surely there’s a way to get some of these sounds in the Fractal…..with about 2 weeks of programming and trying to figure it out”

It made me forget about the SDE/2290 pedals entirely. Sounds like it’ll turn me into Billy Howerdel right away!

I wrote it off because I generally don’t like messing with complex multi delays even though I know they can do amazing stuff. I fiddled with them years ago with the magicstomp and then again with Fractal, always decided the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. When the LVX came out (and the polymoon before that), I was immediately like nope I’ve already learned that lesson before. Your video changed my mind… it wasn’t that complex and you quickly got to some textures that are very hard to create with other stuff.

You’re scaring me about fractal stuff, I may have given it far too much credit about having improved with regard to quickly getting specific sounds compared to the old days. I guess I’ll try it anyway and see what my experience is like for the kind of stuff I like to do.

Not gonna lie, I surveyed the pedals I have around last night and did a thought experiment about which ones I would keep for a G3 rig and which new pedals I would want to buy… I still need a direct solution and don’t want multiple rigs though which complicates things a little.

D

I'm so fond of this pedal. I really didn't "get it" when I tried it in the shop... but now I basically wouldn't part with it.

Lovely sounds!

But I can't see myself using it like you do, and I think it's summed up by something you say in jest at the end, "who needs guitars anyway?" I do, I like playing the guitar when I play guitar. But again, lovely sounds and compliments on the effects building creativity.

it wasn’t that complex and you quickly got to some textures that are very hard to create with other stuff.
Eh... I had one and I say you're still going to have to spend hours on it to find juice that's worth the squeeze. The video's 20 minutes long and that's just to share what he's already worked out...

Lovely sounds!

But I can't see myself using it like you do, and I think it's summed up by something you say in jest at the end, "who needs guitars anyway?" I do, I like playing the guitar when I play guitar. But again, lovely sounds and compliments on the effects building creativity.
Yeah I get you. I think if you checked my band out it would probably make sense. I'm playing my guitar, of course I am. But the ambience/atmosphere is a core part of the music, rather than just a bit of spice thrown over the top, if that makes sense?

Eh... I had one and I say you're still going to have to spend hours on it to find juice that's worth the squeeze. The video's 20 minutes long and that's just to share what he's already worked out...
I genuinely don't think the Axe III could do that tone at the end of the video. You can definitely do some huge ambient pad things though, no question. A lot of the time on the Axe III, you can really just get away with loading a Cumulonimbus reverb (for example, picked it because it is one of my favourites!) and then crank the time parameter to 20 seconds or so, and the mix parameter to above 50% ... and you'll get a very nice wash. But anything that is a bit more complex and requires parallel paths and expression pedal control and all the rest of it... just a bit more difficult.

I can put it this way... and this is kind of shocking to me.. but on Axe III, I don't yet have any finalised presets for any of my music. Whereas with the LVX I have 7 presets I have dialed in recently that get me the tones from our previous albums.

I wrote it off because I generally don’t like messing with complex multi delays even though I know they can do amazing stuff. I fiddled with them years ago with the magicstomp and then again with Fractal, always decided the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. When the LVX came out (and the polymoon before that), I was immediately like nope I’ve already learned that lesson before. Your video changed my mind… it wasn’t that complex and you quickly got to some textures that are very hard to create with other stuff.
It is pretty quick to use. I definitely suggest trying one out. But if you do, buy it from a shop that offers a healthy return period. I think I really learned my lesson about trying complex products in a guitar shop.

You’re scaring me about fractal stuff, I may have given it far too much credit about having improved with regard to quickly getting specific sounds compared to the old days. I guess I’ll try it anyway and see what my experience is like for the kind of stuff I like to do.
I don't mean to rag on the Fractal stuff. I do genuinely love the tones, and I don't find the interface daunting or anything. I really understand how it works. But at the same time, it doesn't feel like a creative space to me at the moment... it feels like obligation, rather than creation.

But don't listen to me, really. I'm so bloody fairweather with my gear. Last month, the Axe III was the thing I was going to fully program and trick out with patches and I was going to move over to that full time and sell the GigRig G3 and I was going to really dedicate myself to Fractal land. But this week?? I feel totally different!

Not gonna lie, I surveyed the pedals I have around last night and did a thought experiment about which ones I would keep for a G3 rig and which new pedals I would want to buy… I still need a direct solution and don’t want multiple rigs though which complicates things a little.

D
I'd be curious what sort of setup you're imagining there. Here's where I am at as of about 5 minutes ago:
1707948385428.png

Back