Luminite Graviton M1 MIDI Controller

I did planned a cheaper, minimal version like that too: an XY Controller paired with a very small receiver on the other end with a small non touch screen for simple on-device programming, just basic PC and CC messages. I don't want to do computer editor though as there are plenty of MIDI controllers have that already, and for full MIDI programming with bells and whistles the Graviton M1 covered that already. I just dont know if there are enough interest for this kind of device though :unsure:
To me the touchscreen approach is the right one here because it greatly simplifies onboard programming while also providing a lot of utility value in highlighting what is going on and taking out "now what was left on this stick again?" type guesswork. The Graviton M1 + XY controller set is also not that expensive and it's very compact so it should not bother anyone that the main unit takes some space.

I previously used the wireless XSonic Airstep which was only programmable on mobile devices. It worked fine, but it was also a bit of a chore to dig up your phone, get it connected to the device and program it if you wanted to change anything. It also has a severe design issue where it doesn't read presets from Airstep's onboard memory but relies on your phone to store them. This works fine as long as you don't use both Android and iOS as cloud sync keeps the presets in sync across a single platform's devices.

Before you released the Luminite I was looking for a MIDI controller with some displays because I had a hard time remembering all I had programmed on the Airstep's presets. Was considering the Morningstar MC6 Pro but I would have had to program that mostly from the computer and not having wireless connectivity built in would have meant having to have a long USB cable at the ready at all times which is a little inconvenience.

PS. What's the file format for backups? Just JSON or some other human readable format? I think that could potentially serve as a "computer editor" for us techy types who don't mind just editing a config file. Might make it faster to do some repetitive "copy, paste, change a number" tasks.

I did planned a cheaper, minimal version like that too: an XY Controller paired with a very small receiver on the other end with a small non touch screen for simple on-device programming, just basic PC and CC messages. I don't want to do computer editor though as there are plenty of MIDI controllers have that already, and for full MIDI programming with bells and whistles the Graviton M1 got it covered already. So yes its possible, I just dont know if there are enough interest for this kind of device though :unsure:
Perhaps another product down the road, then. It all depends on cost vs. price vs. forecast sales units. Depending on price, I would think this more minimal version would have sufficiently broad appeal - but then I think I frequently overestimate guitarists' interest in high-tech (e.g. MIDI) products across the board.

And then there's that pesky "depending on price" aspect. I'm not sure how much cheaper you could make the combined XY + small receiver in comparison with the $200 XY + Graviton, and the Graviton clearly adds a lot of value.

I did planned a cheaper, minimal version like that too...
Another idea for the "maybe down the road" file:

I'm looking at the Graviton M1 - the form factor and the USB I/O - and all I can think is:

An M2, in same or similar enclosure, with all the same features, and an added class-compliant 2x2 USB audio interface, would be an incredible solution for laptop/ iOS guitarists.

I'm looking at the Graviton M1 - the form factor and the USB I/O - and all I can think is:

An M2, in same or similar enclosure, with all the same features, and an added class-compliant 2x2 USB audio interface, would be an incredible solution for laptop/ iOS guitarists.
That's a neat idea. I'd add a good headphone amplifier there because that could be a very good MIDI + recording + headphones for amp modeler boxes solution because headphone support is a problem point for many of them.

Enclosure probably has to be much taller at minimum.

That's a neat idea. I'd add a good headphone amplifier there because that could be a very good MIDI + recording + headphones for amp modeler boxes solution because headphone support is a problem point for many of them.

I kept looking at the M1 product page trying to come up with ways to repurpose those USB ports for audio, when I realized that audio conversion right in the box would be an instant sell for me. With that, the XY controller, a small wireless solution, and the laptop/ tablet of your choosing* you'd be set. Not sure what it would add to overall cost, or whether @Luminite is even remotely (no pun) interested in getting into that technology. I get the impression his main aim was to address his own creative needs (and I'm really impressed he did!) and not necessarily to become a large scale music tech manufacturer...

In any case, additional height wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, angle the top surface for easier desktop programming. That'll free up a little space, too.

*And this paddle toy.
the-jerk-oral-history.png

To me the touchscreen approach is the right one here because it greatly simplifies onboard programming while also providing a lot of utility value in highlighting what is going on and taking out "now what was left on this stick again?" type guesswork. The Graviton M1 + XY controller set is also not that expensive and it's very compact so it should not bother anyone that the main unit takes some space.

I previously used the wireless XSonic Airstep which was only programmable on mobile devices. It worked fine, but it was also a bit of a chore to dig up your phone, get it connected to the device and program it if you wanted to change anything. It also has a severe design issue where it doesn't read presets from Airstep's onboard memory but relies on your phone to store them. This works fine as long as you don't use both Android and iOS as cloud sync keeps the presets in sync across a single platform's devices.

Before you released the Luminite I was looking for a MIDI controller with some displays because I had a hard time remembering all I had programmed on the Airstep's presets. Was considering the Morningstar MC6 Pro but I would have had to program that mostly from the computer and not having wireless connectivity built in would have meant having to have a long USB cable at the ready at all times which is a little inconvenience.

PS. What's the file format for backups? Just JSON or some other human readable format? I think that could potentially serve as a "computer editor" for us techy types who don't mind just editing a config file. Might make it faster to do some repetitive "copy, paste, change a number" tasks.

Yep the goal is making MIDI as frictionless as possible, and not having it attached to a computer helps a lot.

The backup files are not Json, so its not really editable on PC. But all the libraries screens (presets, songs, setlists, sysex etc) has copy paste swap function built-in, with left ‘tap’ to select and right ’tap’ for menu, very similar to editing on PC so I find the speed is comparable too.

Good ideas ! I did plan a version of Graviton with integrated USB interface too, with a set of 24bit 192Khz ADC and USB chipset in mind. Im still trying to find a good balance between cost and features, market supply and demand. Plus a stable driver with decently low latency is very important.

Size wise of course it will be bigger than the M1, most of it depends on how many input output jacks will be added on. But I like it as simple and compact as possible so probably no XLRs or external knobs. Input / output level can be set by touch screen or internal trim knobs.. :unsure: Im open to all ideas though

Last edited:
Size wise of course it will be bigger than the M1, most of it depends on how many input output jacks will be added on. But I like it as simple and compact as possible so probably no XLRs or external knobs. Input / output level can be set by touch screen or internal trim knobs.. :unsure: Im open to all ideas though
I like all of your thoughts here. The only thing I would add is that I prefer class compliance over proprietary drivers. A lower-latency Windows driver is fine if possible or warranted, but any audio interface like this should work "out of the box" with iPad, etc.

Bus-powered operation is always preferable to requiring an additional power supply, but I don't know whether this would be realistic with the color touchscreen, wireless MIDI, and audio conversion.

As I said earlier, I have no idea about the costs of these components. I think your current pricing of $200 for Graviton + XY is an excellent value. If ADC/DAC could be integrated for another $100, a $300ish "M2" would be a no brainer... for me, anyway.

I like all of your thoughts here. The only thing I would add is that I prefer class compliance over proprietary drivers. A lower-latency Windows driver is fine if possible or warranted, but any audio interface like this should work "out of the box" with iPad, etc.

Bus-powered operation is always preferable to requiring an additional power supply, but I don't know whether this would be realistic with the color touchscreen, wireless MIDI, and audio conversion.

As I said earlier, I have no idea about the costs of these components. I think your current pricing of $200 for Graviton + XY is an excellent value. If ADC/DAC could be integrated for another $100, a $300ish "M2" would be a no brainer... for me, anyway.
Yeah true, by driver I meant for Windows as they are often the ASIO type with extra installation required. MacOS and iOS definitely have to be plug-and-play / class compliance.

Graviton M1 is quite efficient, it consumes way less power than the minimum 500mA USB bus provided so I think there is enough power headroom for the audio interface. Most likely everything can be USB bus powered just fine.

The cost also including a good high Z preamp, good DACs for line / headphone outputs, digital pots for input / outputs level control. Maybe another microprocessor is needed to control the digital pots. Larger enclosure and extra jacks. Extra software development etc. They do add up quite a bit so I need to be careful with the spreadsheet 😅 But if the cost is manageable and there are enough demands then I’ll do it.

Yeah true, by driver I meant for Windows as they are often the ASIO type with extra installation required. MacOS and iOS definitely have to be plug-and-play / class compliance.

Graviton M1 is quite power efficient, it consumes way less power than the minimum 500mA USB bus provided so I think there is enough power headroom for the audio interface. Most likely to everything will be USB bus powered just fine.

The cost also including a good high Z preamp, good DACs for line / headphone outputs, digital pots for input / outputs level control. Maybe another microprocessor is needed to control the digital pots. Larger enclosure and extra jacks. Extra software development etc. They do add up quite a bit so I need to be careful with the spreadsheet 😅 But if the cost is manageable and there are enough demands then I’ll do it.
Great to hear it's not out of the question! The mods here would probably (I'm guessing?) be fine with your posting new threads in poll format, to gauge interest in different variations of your product.

Well, I can't rightly talk about the Quad Cortex here...

Controllers it is! ;)

When I can port my beloved handful of plug-in presets (that I could totally mimic to 97% accuracy with what’s already on it :bag) I’ll be your dance partner. :ROFLMAO:

Graviton M1 is quite efficient, it consumes way less power than the minimum 500mA USB bus provided so I think there is enough power headroom for the audio interface. Most likely everything can be USB bus powered just fine.

Yeah the ASIO driver is probably the hard part. I have no idea how difficult it is to write one, let alone one with good latency performance. I mean people love e.g RME for their custom driver quality and rake Universal Audio over the coals for their Windows drivers.

Picked my Graviton M1 from the post office this morning!

Manual is definitely required reading to fully understand how it operates. There's a lot of terms, views etc to unpack. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to work with as long as you understand MIDI basics.

Hardware​

The unit itself is built very robust. Also stress tested since I managed to drop it once already, being a dumbass. It gets a little bit warm on the side with the MIDI I/O ports but overall is nice to hold in hand and work with your thumbs or index finger.

The Graviton M1 immediately connected to the CME WIDI master wireless MIDI dongle under my board! Being able to connect wirelessly means that as long as I can power it, I don't even have to put it on my board if I don't want to. This + small powerbank would probably be a cool setup. I will test this scenario with a powerbank at some point.

Touchscreen is responsive, maybe not as good as your smartphone but overall I have no real complaints about its quality. Very good resolution for the form factor.

XY controller responds very quickly and feels good. I can't believe nobody else has made something like this (at least to my knowledge). It honestly makes a lot more sense than having controls only at your feet. I'll have to figure out where I want to put this.

Working with it​

The UI works well where most touchable things are large enough that you don't make many mistakes.

I made a couple of presets to switch between sets of sounds, e.g a Plexi with some delay or Fender with compressor and reverb. I had these scenarios figured out already from previous MIDI controller setups. They worked as expected.

Naming MIDI channels, PC and CC numbers was easy and intuitive once you understood how it works, definitely helps a lot in remembering what they do. The PC/CC can also be named per channel which makes them represent the device controlled very well if you are using "channel per device" like I am.

It relies pretty heavily on the XY controller as in edit views there's not a fast way to swap between presets or songs. On the list views you can tap on the number to switch.

There is a "shortcuts" option that lets you tap the top name to toggle between relevant views, but then renaming things becomes more difficult.

Improvement ideas​

I've already got a number of small improvements that could improve everyday operation:
  • X/Y 1-4 labels would be more intuitive if they were using arrow icons to mark direction to push on XY Controller and maybe a dot for pressing down. Like X↑, X⏺, Y→, and so on. This would make it better match to how the physical controller works. Not sure how this works with multiple XY controllers tho, maybe Y2→ or something?
  • Spacebar on keyboard should be visible. Just the word "space" or ____ icon for it, maybe a border around the button so it isn't just a blank area.
  • Keyboard could use another set of special characters. There's some standard ones like dots, commas, ampersand etc that could be useful since you have to abbreviate names often to make them fit.
  • Cursor on names. Just a _ after the last letter to mark "this is where the next letter will go." Cursor does not need to be movable.
  • If name limit is reached, name should e.g flash red if you try to type more letters to indicate you can't add more.
  • If name is cleared and checkmark pressed, it should default to its original default name. It seems to do this in some cases but at least Expression preset name did not revert back to e.g Exp 1.
  • If there's more pages (e.g Settings), show it as "Page 1/2" type value instead of just the page number so the user can figure out there's more. The MIDI view already does this.
  • Preset -> Edit this preset could have a quick shortcut to MIDI view for that preset so you don't have to select the preset, go back to main menu, then MIDI.
  • Edit MIDI message view should show both number and name, e.g "PC 2: Chorus" etc. The block view can show just name if it's set.
  • A "Test" button for MIDI message edit view would be useful so you could try and see if your command does what it should. It would then send just the configured PC/CC message.
  • PC/CC number list view would work better if it had a search function where you could type in a name or number to filter the list. This way you would not have to scroll through potentially hundreds of CCs (e.g Strymon bypass is often CC 102) or remember the number directly.
  • It could have a "show only named params" filter to quickly show the params you have named for the channel because you most likely won't use anything else unless you need to configure a new one.
  • Remove name should have a confirmation before deleting. I have managed to accidentally hit it with my palm a couple of times.
  • It could use a "Connections" view in the Settings. This could be where you could see whether Bluetooth/USB MIDI etc is connected and the Wifi network in use for checking software updates. Could have e.g indicator lights or better yet, a debug view to show the unit received a MIDI value or sent some. This could help with troubleshooting if the unit does not connect for some reason or some param does not do its thing.
More info to come when I work more with it.

@Luminite , what would be the best way to do this?

As a preface, the Strymon Nightsky's Pre-delay is accessible only with a cumbersome "hold a tiny button and turn the Reverb knob" secondary function, so moving that to be adjustable and trackable from the Graviton would be great.
  1. I want to track the Strymon Nightsky Pre-delay value across preset changes. Just show the value when the MIDI CC #17 is received.
  2. I want to be able to adjust the Pre-delay value from the UI, preferably from the same place where it shows it.
  3. I don't really care about adjusting this value via preset changes, but might want to tweak it on the fly.
I can of course just add sending this MIDI CC to the preset and I think adding a MIDI PC command to change Nightsky preset after that should override it, right?

MIDI out from Graviton works like a charm. Can't get MIDI in to work.

EDIT: Seems my roundtrip wireless MIDI hookup was not setup. But I tried connecting the Nightsky MIDI out directly via cable to the Graviton and can't seem to get MIDI input to work in any way. I tried having it send values from the pedals connected via TRS to Conduit and also the pedals connected via MIDI 5-pin since my Conduit ran out of TRS jacks.

My MIDI chain is basically:

Code:
Graviton
   wireless
     |
CME WIDI Master
   MIDI out
     |           .---> MIDI in Volante, MIDI out -> MIDI in Nightsky, MIDI Out -> Graviton
     |           |
   MIDI in   MIDI out
 Strymon Conduit
TRS1  TRS2  TRS3 TRS4
|        |    |   |
Compadre |    |   |
    Riverside |   |
           Zelzah |
               Iridium

Last edited:
Excellent ideas, I’m just getting into setting mine up.
A few questions for anyone who knows

What does the tiny green number in the upper right represent?

In Block view of a preset how do you delete a block you no longer want to use? My instinct was hoping a long press on the block would open a menu of options edit or delete etc

It's the battery level for the XY controller.

In Block view of a preset how do you delete a block you no longer want to use? My instinct was hoping a long press on the block would open a menu of options edit or delete etc
It's unintuitive. You can either press minus to remove the last block, or you can open the block, press Type, then go to Edit and delete or disable it from there. I think this menu would be better if it was higher up, e.g a three dots button in the main block edit view.

Thanks @laxu for the review. Very glad to hear you liked the hardware and how the XY Controller feels. :banana What guitar are you gonna stick it on ?
Graviton M1 works great with power banks. Mine lasted more than half a day on a fully charged 10000mAh one, so it should be no problem getting through gigs on smaller batteries.

• X/Y 1-4 labels would be more intuitive if they were using arrow icons to mark direction to push on XY Controller and maybe a dot for pressing down. Like X↑, X⏺, Y→, and so on. This would make it better match to how the physical controller works. Not sure how this works with multiple XY controllers tho, maybe Y2→ or something?
Good idea ! Added to the list.
I wanted to add arrows earlier as well, then the XY Controller Remap function was added later where you can swap the switches around, so these arrows need to reflect these remapped switches as well and I didnt have time for that til now.

• Spacebar on keyboard should be visible. Just the word "space" or ____ icon for it, maybe a border around the button so it isn't just a blank area.
  • Keyboard could use another set of special characters. There's some standard ones like dots, commas, ampersand etc that could be useful since you have to abbreviate names often to make them fit.
  • Cursor on names. Just a _ after the last letter to mark "this is where the next letter will go." Cursor does not need to be movable.
  • If name limit is reached, name should e.g flash red if you try to type more letters to indicate you can't add more.
  • If name is cleared and checkmark pressed, it should default to its original default name. It seems to do this in some cases but at least Expression preset name did not revert back to e.g Exp 1.
  • If there's more pages (e.g Settings), show it as "Page 1/2" type value instead of just the page number so the user can figure out there's more. The MIDI view already does this.
Should be easy to implemented, added !

• Preset -> Edit this preset could have a quick shortcut to MIDI view for that preset so you don't have to select the preset, go back to main menu, then MIDI.
Initially the "Shortcut" option (jumping between MIDI and Banks screen) was enabled by default as its the quickest way to select / edit presets, before "tap to rename" became the default.
I think I'll add a system wide "long press" option: tap for shortcut / long press for renaming as it seems the most intuitive ?

• Edit MIDI message view should show both number and name, e.g "PC 2: Chorus" etc. The block view can show just name if it's set.
  • A "Test" button for MIDI message edit view would be useful so you could try and see if your command does what it should. It would then send just the configured PC/CC message.
  • PC/CC number list view would work better if it had a search function where you could type in a name or number to filter the list. This way you would not have to scroll through potentially hundreds of CCs (e.g Strymon bypass is often CC 102) or remember the number directly.
  • It could have a "show only named params" filter to quickly show the params you have named for the channel because you most likely won't use anything else unless you need to configure a new one.

All makes sense and should be easy to implemented too, so added. I had search function in my mind earlier as well but didnt have time.

• It could use a "Connections" view in the Settings. This could be where you could see whether Bluetooth/USB MIDI etc is connected and the Wifi network in use for checking software updates. Could have e.g indicator lights or better yet, a debug view to show the unit received a MIDI value or sent some. This could help with troubleshooting if the unit does not connect for some reason or some param does not do its thing.
Good idea too. A MIDI / USB / Bluetooth monitoring screen is definitely useful (WiFi is only connected during Software Update and Import / Export backups to PC and will be disconnected once you're done).
Actually its already implemented in a hidden debug menu ;) , a step in the Quality Control process to make sure all the ports are working before packed and shipping out.

Yeah its the XY Controller battery percentage.

It's unintuitive. You can either press minus to remove the last block, or you can open the block, press Type, then go to Edit and delete or disable it from there. I think this menu would be better if it was higher up, e.g a three dots button in the main block edit view.
True long press for menu should be an option here, along with the three dots button. I'll add it the to list as well.

Last edited:
Back